Art Deco

DrB

The ART DECO furniture was unbelievable, Is there anyone who can make anything even close to this now?

I remember that even the "regular" furniture was quality compared to most ROOMS TO GO garbage...

We have Plastic Laminate and particleboard crap....(all disposable)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A friend called me about a desk he just bought, it seems the file drawer thingy that the files hang on held by screws had pulled out, could I fix it, ?

When he bought it he had a choice, a descent desk made by a cabinet shop for about $1000 or this for $250...so...but i can't say I blame him..

It was particle board...what crap...once a screw comes out..that;s it....I drilled out a section and glued a piece of plywood in and was able to screw and glue to together

seems to be working Ok, so far... ( gave him my 50/50 guarantee  50 minutes or 30 feet... which ever comes first)   :anim_rofl2:

This is how IKEA :furniture" is made...its sawdust and glue..no wonder it's so heavy...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

IKEA are very smart. They make their stuff out of sawdust. It lasts long enough for their customers to get tired of it, then by failing, it gives them an excuse to go buy more, and the shopping experience begins the cycle anew.

****I like the meatballs. :eat:

**** Yeah, the lunch is pretty good and fairly inexpensive...

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Eric said:

337723691_1321265181772492_5952261287561419350_n.jpg

When labor was cheaper than materials, it was important to create something with Aesthetic appeal in addition to function.  Time was second to beauty. The skill of the builder was shown in his work.  Art Deco was the showplace of skill.

We lost this artistic creativity and pride in excellence, when labor cost more than materials, and it was cheaper to concentrate more on just functionality without the appeal of the skill and artistry of the creator.  Soon anyone could reproduce functionality without beauty.

for the most part, we lost the beauty in what we created.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, janice6 said:

When labor was cheaper than materials, it was important to create something with Aesthetic appeal in addition to function.  Time was second to beauty. The skill of the builder was shown in his work.  Art Deco was the showplace of skill.

We lost this artistic creativity and pride in excellence, when labor cost more than materials, and it was cheaper to concentrate more on just functionality without the appeal of the skill and artistry of the creator.  Soon anyone could reproduce functionality without beauty.

for the most part, we lost the beauty in what we created.

Sad but true. Walk around the square in a small rural county seat. Some of the storefronts are modern falsies. Others are on a modern building which replaced an old building. The most interesting to my eye are those older buildings still in service which are well maintained and gracefully aged. 

8C0EFCF1-D05D-4380-BB2E-3812716BB591.jpeg

• Like 1