Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

On 1/18/2024 at 9:13 PM, tous said:

For many years the Missouri Air National Guard had an F-100 on a stick at their entrance.

Why is the gear down if that aircraft isn't going to need to roll down a runway?

It just increases drag for the RATO launch.

maybe in case of bad take off.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 10:13 PM, tous said:

For many years the Missouri Air National Guard had an F-100 on a stick at their entrance.

Why is the gear down if that aircraft isn't going to need to roll down a runway?

It just increases drag for the RATO launch.

Could be that once they got it mounted the gear was blocked, or it could be awkward to manipulate gear-up. Or it could be that more money was required to do it gear-down... ;)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

That used to be a very common solution for starting those beasties. I guess that's a chain-driven PTO. A lot of Russian planes had notches in their spinners. :)

Reminds me about starting model plane engines, spinning it with your finger, getting smacked by the prop and finally figuring out that a battery and small motor could spin it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DAKA said:

Reminds me about starting model plane engines, spinning it with your finger, getting smacked by the prop and finally figuring out that a battery and small motor could spin it

I still have a box of Cox .049 and .032 engines and the scars to go with them.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tous said:

I still have a box of Cox .049 and .032 engines and the scars to go with them.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

I used to get blocks of Balsa and attach long wire mounted fat model tires to it, four tires at the corners.  I would then mount an engine on the back end of the block with a fuel tank.  Then I would start the engine in the church parking lot (empty, of course)  and run like hell to a high spot, then watch this "thing" run all over without any guidance.  It was fun when it took off after a neighbor kid that thought he could catch it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I used to get blocks of Balsa and attach long wire mounted fat model tires to it, four tires at the corners.  I would then mount an engine on the back end of the block with a fuel tank.  Then I would start the engine in the church parking lot (empty, of course)  and run like hell to a high spot, then watch this "thing" run all over without any guidance.  It was fun when it took off after a neighbor kid that thought he could catch it.

What about the ones that ran with a little CO2 cartridge  in a hole in the back....JET PROPELLED

• Like 1

CO2 cartridges were for the wimpy.

You'd be surprised how fast a Revell plastic model of a Mustang can go with two Estes rocket engines attached.

Never claimed it would go straight.

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, DAKA said:

What about the ones that ran with a little CO2 cartridge  in a hole in the back....JET PROPELLED

They were neat, but didn't run very long.

A friend of mine had a small displacement model engine that ran on CO2 cylinders.  I thought that was so cool.

• Like 2

At the model airplane meet in my hometown's airport, a guy had a pulse jet with wings and tail attached.  We had to get below the cyclone fencing in case the cables broke.

He got it started and leaned back like it had a tremendous force and around it went in a circle, loud as hell and fast as also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

At the model airplane meet in my hometown's airport, a guy had a pulse jet with wings and tail attached.  We had to get below the cyclone fencing in case the cables broke.

He got it started and leaned back like it had a tremendous force and around it went in a circle, loud as hell and fast as also.

IIRC we flew those things on a "tether", zround in a circle....then came the remote control ones..

• Thanks 1