Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

The Brits really know how to design beautiful airplanes, huh? :greensupergrin:

As ugly as it is and they call it 'Short seaman'? The poor thing probably got laughed at constantly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Eric said:

289046026_10160764344220832_3844674393948267666_n.jpg

First time I went to Lockheed Martin in Houston Texas I drove the road to the F-16 plant and on a small storage field along the road was one of those flying wings.  It was smaller than I had imagined it from the pictures I had seen.

• Like 3

My best guess is that the four-bladed propeller was better with the upgraded  R2800 engines.

Propeller efficiency and performance is based, in part, on blade surface area.

Longer blades lower the velocity where the tips go supersonic, thus, higher RPM.

More blades equal more surface area, longer blades equals more RPM.

Faster aircraft.

This blade geometry is especially critical with helicopters.  The have no wings for lift, so the propeller blades are doing it all.

Or, I may be completely wrong.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Three blade vs four blade… why?

I was curious about this photo as well. Then it occurred to me that these are Warbirds, and may be amalgams. Which would explain the early .50 armament on a later (-5?) airplane and the 20mm on the earlier (-3?) 3-blade model.

Or I could be wrong... ;)

BTW, are those cowl flaps wired down on the later plane? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like .50s.. :(

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/478772-boeing-b-29-25-bw-sn-42-24441-we-dont-need-fancy-remote-controlled-stuff/

This B-29 was part of an experimental B-29 modification program called "Project S68", which was a manned turret evaluation of B-29 type airplanes conducted in October 1944. The airplane used in the evaluation, B-29 42-24441, was re-designated as a B-29-25-BW. The airplane featured manned turrets in place of remote controlled turrets as found on standard production model B-29 airplanes.

b-29-turrets-jpg.139363

One of the big differences was that the airplane featured remotely controlled forward firing Emmerson Model 136 "Jowl Barbettes" , one on each side of the nose and equipped with a single 50 cal in each barbette. The two turrets on the top of the airplane were now replaced with two manned Martin upper turrets . The airplane was also equipped with two Sperry ball turrets  in place of the original ventral turrets, one was a Sperry A-2 Ball Turret mounted in the lower forward position and a modified Sperry A-13 ball turret in the lower aft position.

b-29-turrets-side-jpg.139365

More at the link.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, if the engines (jet or propeller) are running at the terminal event, the propellers or the blades inside of a jet engine will be bent when they strike the ground or water.

As noted, the propellers in the picture are not bent.

And no pilot that isn't insane tries a wheels-down ditching.

Landing gear contacts the water, aircraft does energetic death dance milliseconds later.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1