Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

How can you tell? The props aren't feathered. Gear's down, which I wouldn't expect for ditching.

If the props had been spinning when they hit the water, the blades would be bent in the opposite direction of their engines' spin. Even at lower RPM, a spinning propeller makes a hell of an impact when it strikes water. Or I could be completely full of crap. Who knows? :greensupergrin:

• Like 4

• Administrators

Maybe I am full of crap on this. I assumed that the force of a spinning propeller striking water would be enough to bend the blades, but I've just been looking at pics of underwater aircraft wrecks and most of them don't have bent blades. There are a bunch of pictures of that particular Goony Bird too. I wonder what its story is?

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Eric said:

Maybe I am full of crap on this. I assumed that the force of a spinning propeller striking water would be enough to bend the blades, but I've just been looking at pics of underwater aircraft wrecks and most of them don't have bent blades. There are a bunch of pictures of that particular Goony Bird too. I wonder what its story is?

OK, the engines of this particular bird were not spinning when it entered the water. :greensupergrin:

"There is no dramatic background story of our airplane wreck in Turkey. It served as a transporter for parachutists in the Turkish air force, and was donated to local dive centers after retirement to act as new artificial reef, and as a new dive attraction, of course. The sinking of the airplane at its final resting place happened on July 1st 2009 and was performed so smoothly that the DC3 lays now fully intact on the sandy seabed. It appears like it is just getting ready for its next take off ;-)

There is not much around the wreck, only sand and a little sea grass. This “isolation”, however, boots the visual effect when approaching: when swimming to it, you first see only a dark shadow; the closer you get, it turns more and more into a huge plane.

The engines, wings, cockpit, rudder and landing gear are all intact. A big door at the main hull, where the parachuters used to jump off the plane, provides access to the inside of the “Dakota”. The main cabin is quite empty but if you swim to the direction of the cockpit you can explore the working place of the navigation officer and the cockpit itself."

https://diveadvisor.com/sub2o/now-thats-a-huge-aircraft-diving-the-dakota-dc3-in-southern-turkey

• Like 4

• Administrators

OK, upon further review, it does appear to be a common occurrence for an aircraft's propeller blades to bend on impact with a body of water. It is also common for the impact to break off blades, the entire propeller assembly or even rip the engine free of its mounts. One thing that I find interesting is that several sources say that the blades bend anti-spinward and usually to the front, rather than to the rear. I would have thought they would bend to the rear, but since they are pulling the aircraft forward, the stresses they encounter push them forward.

Dsc01719a.webp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, tous said:

Generally, if the engines (jet or propeller) are running at the terminal event, the propellers or the blades inside of a jet engine will be bent when they strike the ground or water.

As noted, the propellers in the picture are not bent.

Wouldn't at least one or two of those blades have hit the water if they came down in that position, though? If it somehow didn't nose-over when the gear hit the water. 

Of course, we haven't considered SPECTER using their satellite-capture satellite, or the pilot having landed the DC-3 at low tide. Very low tide...

BTW, do you think Tippit was killed so they could switch his head and brain with JFK's? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Eric said:

OK, the engines of this particular bird were not spinning when it entered the water. :greensupergrin:

"There is no dramatic background story of our airplane wreck in Turkey. It served as a transporter for parachutists in the Turkish air force, and was donated to local dive centers after retirement to act as new artificial reef, and as a new dive attraction, of course. The sinking of the airplane at its final resting place happened on July 1st 2009 and was performed so smoothly that the DC3 lays now fully intact on the sandy seabed. It appears like it is just getting ready for its next take off ;-)

There is not much around the wreck, only sand and a little sea grass. This “isolation”, however, boots the visual effect when approaching: when swimming to it, you first see only a dark shadow; the closer you get, it turns more and more into a huge plane.

The engines, wings, cockpit, rudder and landing gear are all intact. A big door at the main hull, where the parachuters used to jump off the plane, provides access to the inside of the “Dakota”. The main cabin is quite empty but if you swim to the direction of the cockpit you can explore the working place of the navigation officer and the cockpit itself."

https://diveadvisor.com/sub2o/now-thats-a-huge-aircraft-diving-the-dakota-dc3-in-southern-turkey

Yep, like I said, it's SPECTER all the way down. Good cover story, too. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 5:04 PM, Eric said:

347247415_572114198434784_1108538392028775099_n.jpg

That aircraft incorporated many innovations for aircraft at the time.

But, it flew low and slow and incorporated no defense -- single pilot, no guns.

Near the end of the war, one had to be very brave or downright insane to go aloft in one of them.

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, tous said:

Where do they stow the 400-mile long extension cord?

They should give it a large lightning rod and a shitload of jumbo capacitors.

• Like 2

Yep.

And if it's supposed to be a cargo aircraft, it's what DHL does, it is awfully small and skinny.

So, instead of one evil, planet-killing 747-8 making the trip, DHL will have to dispatch 300 of their nifty electric cargo ships.

Hippie Marxist thinking at its best.

Don't ask them about where the energy comes from to recharge the batteries.

Unicorns, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is government logic.

Replace a larger aircraft that cruises at 500 knots ( 580 MPH  )  and has a range of 8,000+ miles ( 14,300 kilometers  ) with 100 smaller aircraft that cruise at 250 knots (288 MPH) and a range of 500 miles (815 kilometers.)

It is a short-haul aircraft only.  It can't get from New York to London, San Francisco to Begging.

I don't have the data to compare operating and maintenance costs.

But, who cares?

Unicorns will provide.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tous said:

That aircraft incorporated many innovations for aircraft at the time.

But, it flew low and slow and incorporated no defense -- single pilot, no guns.

Near the end of the war, one had to be very brave or downright insane to go aloft in one of them.

JU-87B(?) Had two forward firing MG-17s in the wing above the spats and another for the observer. Mighty like a contemporary SBD. 

• Like 2

Curtis AT-9 trainer.

Used to train pilots going from single- to multi-engine aircraft.

It was intentionally made unstable and difficult to fly to give trainee pilots experience handling big bombers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

JU-87B(?) Had two forward firing MG-17s in the wing above the spats and another for the observer. Mighty like a contemporary SBD. 

Thank you.

That's what I get for relying on memory.

:sigh:

• Like 1