Who Uses DuckDuckGo.com?

Eric

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, tous said:

Eric, I have loaded various  distributions in virtual machines over the years and haven't found one that I like better than Fedora.

I'm not looking for user friendly, just stable and Fedora is updated twice a year and the updates are very solid.

I'm a terminal, command-line or remote access guy, started back in the days of a GUI was 80 characters by 25 lines and remote access was Telnet, so fancy GUIs don't appeal to me that much. 

Although, I will admit to a certain amount of inertia with Fedora.

:biggrin:       :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

I’m a command line kind of guy as well. In my experience, Debian is the best distro ever released. The APT system is light years ahead of the RPM system. I hosted GT on Debian servers for more than 13 years. 

• Like 1

Fedora  changed from yum to DNF a few updates back.

Just to confuse old people like me.

And I hated yum metadata-based operations.  They all never expired at the same time or at least one was corrupted.

Plus, a yum rollback was about as much fun as a bath with jelly fish.

I look upon it as a challenge.  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Try Ubuntu. I love that distro. It’s based on Debian, but is a substantially more user-friendly  flavor. 

I've used Ubuntu for years. No maleware, viruses, it recognizes everything, and it's free.  Love it.

• Like 1

I use it.  Only because it seems to be adequate and claims to have settings for no recording of activity.  I am so fed up with Google showing me results from queries that appear biased.   I won't use Bing, I won't use many others that think they should control my activities.  

It appears to be no worse than many others in "depth".  But I do get what I ask for more often than not.

I like to search the Pro and Con of an issue and the weighting of the results I was getting appear to be biased.   Some times the results will actually ignore the side of the issue I queried.  I have spent many years researching documentation and the results I am getting are more and more weighted.  I want objectivity not opinion modification.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I use it.  Only because it seems to be adequate and claims to have settings for no recording of activity.  I am so fed up with Google showing me results from queries that appear biased.   I won't use Bing, I won't use many others that think they should control my activities.  

It appears to be no worse than many others in "depth".  But I do get what I ask for more often than not.

I like to search the Pro and Con of an issue and the weighting of the results I was getting appear to be biased.   Some times the results will actually ignore the side of the issue I queried.  I have spent many years researching documentation and the results I am getting are more and more weighted.  I want objectivity not opinion modification.

Nothing wrong with Bing. You can always use the In-Private feature.

Capture.JPG.a3ec393a113f17dc5b5ae15a092330de.JPGCapture1.JPG.86a9096bdd383c2f6d25b8a8a03f368d.JPG

Just now, Glocks4Freedom said:

Nothing wrong with Bing. You can always use the In-Private feature.

Capture.JPG.a3ec393a113f17dc5b5ae15a092330de.JPGCapture1.JPG.86a9096bdd383c2f6d25b8a8a03f368d.JPG

Bing is like other software that wants to be more important to the operation of my computer than I want it to be.  It is intrusive.

I don't like other brand name companies software also.  HP has cause me to have a crash because they want to control my PC also.  I don't like software that wants to "be a manager".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Bing is like other software that wants to be more important to the operation of my computer than I want it to be.  It is intrusive.

I don't like other brand name companies software also.  HP has cause me to have a crash because they want to control my PC also.  I don't like software that wants to "be a manager".

Bing is a product of a company whose main goal is to make money, tons of money. Something DDG aims to do, they just haven't been able to crack the nut as MS has. Yeah, I know with size come compromises, but up until now, MS has always sided against Big Brother. At least in the ones important to me. They're NOT in the same league as GOOGLEFACEBOOKTWITTER.

Nothing wrong with DDG, I use it with Tor. But don't fall for the story "underdogs are my friends". We're all in it to make money, i.e., To Act.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Bing is a product of a company whose main goal is to make money, tons of money. Something DDG aims to do, they just haven't been able to crack the nut as MS has. Yeah, I know with size come compromises, but up until now, MS has always sided against Big Brother. At least in the ones important to me. They're NOT in the same league as GOOGLEFACEBOOKTWITTER.

Nothing wrong with DDG, I use it with Tor. But don't fall for the story "underdogs are my friends". We're all in it to make money, i.e., To Act.

MS IS big brother. 

• Thanks 1

I use DDG and Google on occasion.  I also run Windows 7, hardened down with no updates and other tweeks, and will use it till the programs and games I run don't work anymore.  I hate windows 10.? 

I also use Opera, WITH the AD BLOCKER turned on.  Damn what a difference!  I don't know why more people don't use Opera.  

35 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I use DDG and Google on occasion.  I also run Windows 7, hardened down with no updates and other tweeks, and will use it till the programs and games I run don't work anymore.  I hate windows 10.? 

I also use Opera, WITH the AD BLOCKER turned on.  Damn what a difference!  I don't know why more people don't use Opera.  

I used Opera for awhile before I started using Brave. Its not quite ready for prime time, many add-ons don't work. They are planning a new release (actually the 1.0 version) later this year. Its going to be based on the latest Chromium release and native user interface. They currently use HTML interface which is why most add-ons don't work. 

I am a fan of duckduckgo. Using that, adblock and disconnect are as far as I get anymore for privacy, I used to be a TOR guy, but so many services are blocking it now that I just gave up. As it became harder and harder to be untracked I was just too tired to care, especially since my entire internet time is basically browsing the same message boards every day.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, Eric said:

I was looking at TBS’s analytics and noticed that we have gotten quite a few hits here from there and I had never heard of them. It is a search engine, apparently. Any of you use them?

I've been testing it and Brave out lately.  I think I like Brave a little better but both seem to be good.

It does seem that DuckDuckGo uses more battery, but I haven't done an actual test to determine that.