Who Uses DuckDuckGo.com?

Eric

• Administrators

I was looking at TBS’s analytics and noticed that we have gotten quite a few hits here from there and I had never heard of them. It is a search engine, apparently. Any of you use them?

13 minutes ago, Eric said:

I was looking at TBS’s analytics and noticed that we have gotten quite a few hits here from there and I had never heard of them. It is a search engine, apparently. Any of you use them?

I have on and off. Good privacy. Now they have an app they call a "browser". Don't know if it's an actual browser or just a rebranded/reworked firefox.

• Like 1

I suggested this search service here a couple weeks ago.

Been using it on and off for a few years. It's gotten better lately. Much better privacy, and I hate Google / YouTube with their liberal agenda and tracking BS, as well as their ever growing pseudo monopoly. That being said, I'm still used to the results from Google.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crockett said:

I suggested this search service here a couple weeks ago.

Been using it on and off for a few years. It's gotten better lately. Much better privacy, and I hate Google / YouTube with their liberal agenda and tracking BS, as well as their ever growing pseudo monopoly. That being said, I'm still used to the results from Google.

Plain Edge for me.

When security is needed: Tor

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Glocks4Freedom said:

I said that for 4-5 years. FreeBSD was my go-to, although I tried others (Penguins, Solaris 10) - Windows 10 is the real ****!

It’s really shitty, anyway. I hate it like mayonnaise on French Fries. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I don’t do Windows. 

I'm still stuck on Win 7, with the classic theme from Win 95. lol

I need too many programs that don't run properly on a Mac, or at all, and the Linux servers for business is all I want to see from that corner. I feel like I have lived an entire life on the damn ssh console.

Are you using Mac?

Edited by crockett

• Administrators
Just now, crockett said:

I'm still stuck on Win 7, with the classic theme from Win 95. lol

I need too many programs that don't run properly on a Mac, or at all, and the Linux servers for business is all I want to see from that corner. I feel like I have lived an entire live on the damn ssh console.

Are you using Mac?

Parallels rocks. The only instance of Windows I still use is running in Parallels, on my MacBook Pro. It works flawlessly. Except for all the flaws endemic to Windows, that is. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Glocks4Freedom said:

Give it a try...

I have. I am sick of Microsoft trying to file all the sharp edges off of their OS. They have dumbed it down to the point that it is frustrating and useless to me. I really don’t like that OS. 

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I have. I am sick of Microsoft trying to file all the sharp edges off of their OS. They have dumbed it down to the point that it is frustrating and useless to me. I really don’t like that OS. 

Understood. Changing habits sucks, but W10 is a different beast to all the MS Circus we lived in the 90's. Especially when you are a Pro - I'm not-. The smooth integration of Azure, W10, VS.NET, SQL Server is ahead of everything else out there.

I guess I got tired of tweaking /etc/rc.conf just to watch a darn Youtube video :)

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

Parallels rocks. The only instance of Windows I still use is running in Parallels, on my MacBook Pro. It works flawlessly. Except for all the flaws endemic to Windows, that is. 

I just looked into it. When did they go on subscription basis? I hate this trend.

I sat down around 2008 and created a very stable Win 7 64bit configuration, hardened it, turned off all updates and put it behind a proper firewall. This same configuration is still running right now on my ThinkPad 24/7, no sleep, no hibernation, only monitors go off after an hour.

Only time I shut it down is when I travel. Last time my up-time was just short of half a year. Only maintenance I have to do is kill growing IE processes if I don't stop IE for many days. Same with Chrome.

55 minutes ago, Eric said:

I selected DuckDuckGo as my "default" search engine/browser.  When I right click on something, I can easily go to DDG.  I have to manually select Google.   Which I do.  Because they're good.  But they are uberliberal and biased.  I hate having to use their site.  DDG is really improved over what it was just a few years back, when I first tried it.  If they can make it viable, I'm in.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, crockett said:

I just looked into it. When did they go on subscription basis? I hate this trend.

I sat down around 2008 and created a very stable Win 7 64bit configuration, hardened it, turned off all updates and put it behind a proper firewall. This same configuration is still running right now on my ThinkPad 24/7, no sleep, no hibernation, only monitors go off after an hour.

Only time I shut it down is when I travel. Last time my up-time was just short of half a year. Only maintenance I have to do is kill growing IE processes if I don't stop IE for many days. Same with Chrome.

I once had one of GT’s Debian Linux servers up for almost two years without a restart. I only took it down then because I was physically moving it. There is no more stable beast on Earth than a properly configured Linux OS. 

I use Duck Duck Go from time to time and started using it more recently when Google images eliminated their "View images" feature allowing you to see the thumbnail full size because of copyright issues. But then I discovered that you could copy the thumbnail directly in full size so now I still use Goodge images because it has a greater variety of images than Duck Duck Go.

It's good to know that there are other alternatives as well (ixquick, Plain edge, Tor) but DDG is simple to access and I'm not very technically savvy when it comes to changing browsers and things of that nature.

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

I once had one of GT’s Debian Linux servers up for almost two years without a restart. I only took it down then because I was physically moving it. There is no more stable beast on Earth than a properly configured Linux OS. 

Just had a look...

ss.png.8578886dcdcac77e0495c7bd84e442e1.png

Highest I recall was some 560 days a long time ago.  Then it got hacked through SQL infusion on a ******* WordPress contact form.

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, tous said:

Does anyone still have any love for Red Hat/Fedora or is it only us tend-challenged old fogies?

:biggrin:

Try Ubuntu. I love that distro. It’s based on Debian, but is a substantially more user-friendly  flavor. 

• Like 1

Eric, I have loaded various  distributions in virtual machines over the years and haven't found one that I like better than Fedora.

I'm not looking for user friendly, just stable and Fedora is updated twice a year and the updates are very solid.

I'm a terminal, command-line or remote access guy, started back in the days of a GUI was 80 characters by 25 lines and remote access was Telnet, so fancy GUIs don't appeal to me that much. 

Although, I will admit to a certain amount of inertia with Fedora.

:biggrin:       :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Edited by tous