Random Posting

Eric

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

The one which fascinates me is the near instant series of observations and calculations made when deciding to turn left in front of oncoming traffic or wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes!

These are not simply decisions based on yes or no answers.  They consist of a multitude of calculations (approximations) of the projected vectors and velocities of each of the objects involved in trying to predict a result that meets your criteria.

It is an amazing feat that's accomplished by everyone, every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, janice6 said:

I was just watching an Earth Cam along a busy street.  The crowd was heavy, walking in one direction on the sidewalk.

What was fascinating, was watching people come out of the doorway of a retail establishment and walk against the flow of the crowd.

I was once walking in front of a strip mall on a cold windy day in the pouring rain,  so I was pressed as close to the windows as I could get,  hunched over and walking very quickly.

A 100 year old lady suddenly opened a heavy glass door and I ran smack into it a warp-speed. Hard.  It almost knocked me on my butt.

She looked aghast and terrified and I was so embarrassed that I could only mumble a short apology and I kept going.

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 1/3/2020 at 6:08 PM, janice6 said:

I was just watching an Earth Cam along a busy street.  The crowd was heavy, walking in one direction on the sidewalk.

What was fascinating, was watching people come out of the doorway of a retail establishment and walk against the flow of the crowd.

It's very impressive if you think of the multitude of decisions the brain is making and acting on, to negotiate movement against the throng.  and this control is amazingly able to do this with out  colliding with the people your avoiding.

The incredible number of decisions being made almost instantaneously, as to which direction to go and when to change direction, along with finely controlling the body movements to accomplish this.

The brain is an amazing computer.

Twenty years ago, I was watching an Earthcam video camera that was in London pointed at the walkway along the Thames River. It was about 6:30am there and it was mid-winter. There was ice and snow present. I watched what appeared to be an older man walking along and then he suddenly busted his ass on the ice. It was a hell of a fall.

He got up dusting himself off and looked all around him, probably looking to see if anyone saw. There I was watching halfway around the world, in Phoenix. You never know who is watching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Twenty years ago, I was watching an Earthcam video camera that was in London pointed at the walkway along the Thames River. It was about 6:30am there and it was mid-winter. There was ice and snow present. I watched what appeared to be an older man walking along and then he suddenly busted his ass on the ice. It was a hell of a fall.

He got up dusting himself off and looked all around him, probably looking to see if anyone saw. There I was watching halfway around the world, in Phoenix. You never know who is watching. 

It's an incredible world today!

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I was once walking in front of a strip mall on a cold windy day in the pouring rain,  so I was pressed as close to the windows as I could get,  hunched over and walking very quickly.

A 100 year old lady suddenly opened a heavy glass door and I ran smack into it a warp-speed. Hard.  It almost knocked me on my butt.

She looked aghast and terrified and I was so embarrassed that I could only mumble a short apology and I kept going.

She might have worried about that stranger she hurt and how bad you may have been injured.

As you get older, you tend to be concerned about people you have interacted with, often those you don't even know...…  I don't know why.

So, (sorry gwalch) I was just sitting there thinking about Peter Piper and the peck of pickled peppers he picked.

We know what a peck is, but picking implies that he is harvesting the peppers from their vines.

But, how the heck did they get pickled on the bush?

Pickling means that the peppers that Peter Piper picked were soaked in brine or vinegar.

Now, I'm confused.

Can you grow pre-pickled peppers?

• Like 2

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic