Random Posting

Eric

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I don’t doubt Tucson was pretty high on the hit list during the Cold War. I suppose it probably still is. In addition to Davis-Monthan AFB, there were ICBM silos around Tucson. I guess there still are. 

The silos are still there, maybe filled. No ICBMs, though, unless they're secret.

12 hours ago, Eric said:

F3C13CAE-F3CF-463B-9B8E-CBEBB98D55F8.jpeg

I guess the end "Snapped Off."  :anim_lol:

Thanks folks, I'm here all week.  Don't forget to tip your waitress.........

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

I wonder if the wrench had been dropped onto it's nose because of rough handling previous to this.  It might have cracked the housing.

I have seen many people drop, or let impact wrenches drop from their hands to the floor, while only holding the air hose.  It's hard to believe that the housing simply broke during proper use of the tool.

My guess is it was used as a hammer at some point - or several points.

Or from beating the socket on the ground to get the lug nut out.  Notice that the socket doesn't appear to be an impact socket (which are usually black oxide).

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

I haven't watched that yet, but I will suggest that the improvements are in volume of fire, and not accuracy.  Technology and tactics play into that, but those old guys with those old muzzle-loading rifles could hit some targest WAY the hell out there......

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

bz-5ce4750d72b5d.gif

I need that in my life.  Probably a dummy but nevertheless......

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Why does that little end cap at the back pop off? What are the implications of that when firing it inside a vehicle?

I can't imagine actually firing something like that in a car.  I have fired similar shoulder weapons and that cap indicates there will be a backblast to fry the guy. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Why does that little end cap at the back pop off? What are the implications of that when firing it inside a vehicle?

That's the rear cover - the LAW is a sealed unit before it's extended.  Once you fire it, you toss it.

Firing it in a vehicle would be........bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Unless it is inert it would have to travel a distance before explosion.  Odds are if aimed right, the sheer force of the rocket firing would probably break the other guy's neck and cause collateral damage after passing through the vehicle.  An AOW or Krink would have been more effective with the potential of less collateral damage.  At any rate, welcome to Puerto Rico.

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

I can't imagine actually firing something like that in a car.  I have fired similar shoulder weapons and that cap indicates there will be a backblast to fry the guy. 

Yeah, I can't really imagine anyone in the car from which it's fired surviving. The target car would have a better chance. Not much better, but better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

Unless it is inert it would have to travel a distance before explosion.  Odds are if aimed right, the sheer force of the rocket firing would probably break the other guy's neck and cause collateral damage after passing through the vehicle.  An AOW or Krink would have been more effective with the potential of less collateral damage.  At any rate, welcome to Puerto Rico.

I had a similar discussion one time during a convoy training day.  I was behind a MK19 GMG (grenade machine gun)

Convoy route had us traveling through a small "town", at one point an attacker pops out of a third story window directly above my vehicle.  I make the motions that I would fire the MK19 at the attacker, because due to the canvas roof of the LMTV, none of the troops in back would be able to see or engage the threat.

The trainer that was with us tried to tell me that it was unsafe to hit a target that close, as the exploding rounds would injure my troops and vehicle.  I reminded him that the 40mm grenade doesn't engage until it's past a safe distance, so all I would be doing is punching 40mm holes in the attacker.

My CSM gave me a unit coin at the end of the convoy training, so I must have made some sort of impression on someone.

• Like 2

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic