Random Posting

Eric

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I guess the end "Snapped Off."  :anim_lol:

Thanks folks, I'm here all week.  Don't forget to tip your waitress.........

My guess is it was used as a hammer at some point - or several points.

Or from beating the socket on the ground to get the lug nut out.  Notice that the socket doesn't appear to be an impact socket (which are usually black oxide).

I was desperate one time and grabbed a spark plug socket for the impact wrench.  A second or two and I had a very pretty chromed flower.  It split and flared out at each of the 16 points in the teeth. 

I doubt any person with any experience, would use a "non-impact" socket.  Even I found out why.  However, you can get very expensive impact sockets, I have no doubt someone would chrome them to try to justify their cost.

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I was desperate one time and grabbed a spark plug socket for the impact wrench.  A second or two and I had a very pretty chromed flower.  It split and flared out at each of the 16 points in the teeth. 

I doubt any person with any experience, would use a "non-impact" socket.  Even I found out why.  However, you can get very expensive impact sockets, I have no doubt someone would chrome them to try to justify their cost.

It appears that the color of impact sockets has to do with their construction, assuming this source is reliable:

Impact sockets look black because the surface is carbonized (aka drop-forged) in order to harden the surface. The surface-hardening enables impact sockets to absorb sudden torque changes (aka "impact") better. With high enough impact, a regular socket may warp out of shape because the steel used there is softer.Sep 16, 2015

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/21119/impact-vs-regular-sockets

If that's true then the person using that tool is indeed using the wrong socket.  

Technically, even a battery impact should have an impact socket but I never use them.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

It appears that the color of impact sockets has to do with their construction, assuming this source is reliable:

Impact sockets look black because the surface is carbonized (aka drop-forged) in order to harden the surface. The surface-hardening enables impact sockets to absorb sudden torque changes (aka "impact") better. With high enough impact, a regular socket may warp out of shape because the steel used there is softer.Sep 16, 2015

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/21119/impact-vs-regular-sockets

If that's true then the person using that tool is indeed using the wrong socket.  

Technically, even a battery impact should have an impact socket but I never use them.  

I have high quality impact sockets and cheap ones, Proto and Harbor Freight.  My experience is that the expensive ones are very strong but thinner wall, while the cheap ones are strong due to thicker walls.  I have worn them out, but never broke either kind.

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

I had a similar discussion one time during a convoy training day.  I was behind a MK19 GMG (grenade machine gun)

Convoy route had us traveling through a small "town", at one point an attacker pops out of a third story window directly above my vehicle.  I make the motions that I would fire the MK19 at the attacker, because due to the canvas roof of the LMTV, none of the troops in back would be able to see or engage the threat.

The trainer that was with us tried to tell me that it was unsafe to hit a target that close, as the exploding rounds would injure my troops and vehicle.  I reminded him that the 40mm grenade doesn't engage until it's past a safe distance, so all I would be doing is punching 40mm holes in the attacker.

My CSM gave me a unit coin at the end of the convoy training, so I must have made some sort of impression on someone.

Don't remember how the 40mm delays arming itself, is it like a mortar,so many spins after coming out of the tube?  

3 hours ago, Moshe said:

Unless it is inert it would have to travel a distance before explosion.  Odds are if aimed right, the sheer force of the rocket firing would probably break the other guy's neck and cause collateral damage after passing through the vehicle.  An AOW or Krink would have been more effective with the potential of less collateral damage.  At any rate, welcome to Puerto Rico.

I may be wrong (it's been a long time since I've fired them), but I don't recall the LAW requiring any amount of travel distance in order to arm. The M203 grenade requires 30 meters before arming, not so the LAW. Again, I may be wrong - there's been about a billion beers between now and then.

Regardless, the backblast in the vehicle would not be pleasant. Probably not fatal to anyone except an occupant directly behind it.

The other driver rolling up the window makes me smile and reminds me of the unofficial sniper motto - "Don't bother running, you'll just die tired."

Just now, C_Hallbert said:

Her head got stuck in the feed bucket and he’s rushing her to the Emergency Room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know yourself well when you use a trash can for a safety helmet.

• Like 2

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic