Random Posting

Eric

20 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The Dewey Decimal number for the first electronics book I ever checked out of my town's library a lifetime ago, was: 61288.H83

No, that's a human physiology book.

I used to get paid minimum wage for library work during the Nixon era, at the largest library in Florida.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Many years ago before Sensitivity training, my company had a training session for employees to promote imaginative solutions.

I was in the middle of the front row when the vice president convened the "meeting".

It's not like he hasn't heard from me before.  I would simply join them at coffee or lunch in the cafeteria and they never had the balls to send me away.  I would remind them occasionally that the employees were smart enough to know what was really going on, politely, of course.  They eventually got used to me.

Anyway, he said that the company wanted to let the employees know that their creativity was the basis for a good financial year and they wanted to  promote imaginative solutions so to show others what they meant by 'creative solutions", we were meeting here today.

He asked how you would create a source of money from nothing to start a new business?  And, no solution was off the table.

He then asked a few employees in the auditorium what they would propose to create a source of funding from essentially nothing.

Very few had any idea of where to start.  He made the horrible mistake of asking me next!

Without hesitation and with great candor, I turned to the pretty woman next to me and said, "I would sell her body!".  (You have to remember the times were different then)

She blushed and wiggled a little in her seat.  She was quite attractive! And, dare I say appeared to be flattered!

The idiot in charge then said to all, "See! That's the kind of creativity I am talking about!".

It went down hill from there.

One time we employees were organized into groups and sent to HR to hear just how the company was going to screw us again, but differently this time.

MY group was jammed into a meeting area while the HR Rep proceeded to tell us how our annual performance reviews would be performed.  We would do a paper on just what we thought we had accomplished throughout the year, and list our failings that we could work to correct the following year.

They dragged this out for a while telling us that then the management would also tell us what our deficiencies were and we would be rated on a scale which was to be related to our potential for raises.  Some categories got no raise.  Those people had 12 months to improve their rating or be subject to a "reduction in force".

When asked for questions, I raised my hand first.  I was acknowledged, then asked my question.

My question was:  "What was the matter with the old system?"  The HR Rep looked puzzled and asked me what the "old" system was?

I told her that we were hired to perform in our job.  If we performed well we were rewarded with a cash remuneration at the years end.  If we didn't perform to expectations we were fired!

The HR people looked at each other and didn't have an answer, however, I got shouts of approval and encouragement from most attending this farce.

We were then disbanded without and further Bull ****.

Now we all knew that the reason for the change was to create a paper trail in HR to allow management to simply point to, when they decided they could get talent at a cheaper price than the employees who had been there many years.

It didn't change anything, but did add to my "popularity" with my management.

I was once told that if I didn't do something, I could be fired.  I told them to then fire me, since I was looking for a job when I found this one!

I have no idea why, but, I worked their for slightly over 40 years, till I retired with a pension.

A friend has a government job in the public services/utilities sector in California. An efficiency team told everyone at his level they needed to preform a study basically justifying their job. It would have taken him 40-50 hours to do his study. Multiply that by over 200 people in the state required to do it. 

Thats 5 man years of time at 40 hours a week 50 weeks a year. To show how efficient they are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

No, that's a human physiology book.

I used to get paid minimum wage for library work during the Nixon era, at the largest library in Florida.

It was SH61288.H83  I didn't put the prefix on it.  It was basic electronic tools primarily using neon bulbs as the active element.

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

Many years ago before Sensitivity training, my company had a training session for employees to promote imaginative solutions.

I was in the middle of the front row when the vice president convened the "meeting".

It's not like he hasn't heard from me before.  I would simply join them at coffee or lunch in the cafeteria and they never had the balls to send me away.  I would remind them occasionally that the employees were smart enough to know what was really going on, politely, of course.  They eventually got used to me.

Anyway, he said that the company wanted to let the employees know that their creativity was the basis for a good financial year and they wanted to  promote imaginative solutions so to show others what they meant by 'creative solutions", we were meeting here today.

He asked how you would create a source of money from nothing to start a new business?  And, no solution was off the table.

He then asked a few employees in the auditorium what they would propose to create a source of funding from essentially nothing.

Very few had any idea of where to start.  He made the horrible mistake of asking me next!

Without hesitation and with great candor, I turned to the pretty woman next to me and said, "I would sell her body!".  (You have to remember the times were different then)

She blushed and wiggled a little in her seat.  She was quite attractive! And, dare I say appeared to be flattered!

The idiot in charge then said to all, "See! That's the kind of creativity I am talking about!".

It went down hill from there.

One time we employees were organized into groups and sent to HR to hear just how the company was going to screw us again, but differently this time.

MY group was jammed into a meeting area while the HR Rep proceeded to tell us how our annual performance reviews would be performed.  We would do a paper on just what we thought we had accomplished throughout the year, and list our failings that we could work to correct the following year.

They dragged this out for a while telling us that then the management would also tell us what our deficiencies were and we would be rated on a scale which was to be related to our potential for raises.  Some categories got no raise.  Those people had 12 months to improve their rating or be subject to a "reduction in force".

When asked for questions, I raised my hand first.  I was acknowledged, then asked my question.

My question was:  "What was the matter with the old system?"  The HR Rep looked puzzled and asked me what the "old" system was?

I told her that we were hired to perform in our job.  If we performed well we were rewarded with a cash remuneration at the years end.  If we didn't perform to expectations we were fired!

The HR people looked at each other and didn't have an answer, however, I got shouts of approval and encouragement from most attending this farce.

We were then disbanded without and further Bull ****.

Now we all knew that the reason for the change was to create a paper trail in HR to allow management to simply point to, when they decided they could get talent at a cheaper price than the employees who had been there many years.

It didn't change anything, but did add to my "popularity" with my management.

I was once told that if I didn't do something, I could be fired.  I told them to then fire me, since I was looking for a job when I found this one!

I have no idea why, but, I worked there for slightly over 40 years, till I retired with a pension.

And along the way learned where the bodies were buried.  ;)

My Dad was once told by some of the upper echelon he needed to be out on the floor more often.  In his smiling, polite way that could cut you off at the knees (but you wouldn’t figure it out before the next day) he said his shift had the best production, QC etc.  He said he worked with good people and if they needed him they knew where to find him unless he was making the occasional round.  

I never forgot his advice;  when you have good people that know what to do, stay out of their way.  Run interference when needed.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, janice6 said:

It was SH61288.H83  I didn't put the prefix on it.  It was basic electronic tools primarily using neon bulbs as the active element.

But the Dewey Decimal System doesn't use prefixes, and neither does the ISBN.   :599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

The Library of Congress Catalog system does use prefixes, but SH would be aquaculture, not electronics.

The Dewey Decimal classification for electronics would start with 621, not 612,

maybe if you're dyslexic a small library would be close enough to get you on the same shelf for browsing.

Please don't re-shelve the books.:Alex:

2 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

But the Dewey Decimal System doesn't use prefixes, and neither does the ISBN.   :599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

The Library of Congress Catalog system does use prefixes, but SH would be aquaculture, not electronics.

The Dewey Decimal classification for electronics would start with 621, not 612,

maybe if you're dyslexic a small library would be close enough to get you on the same shelf for browsing.

Please don't re-shelve the books.:Alex:

I am not dyslexic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AH, BOTTLE BLONDES
A young ventriloquist is touring Sweden and, one night, he's
doing a show in a small fishing town. With his dummy on
his knee, he starts going through his usual dumb blonde jokes.
Suddenly, a blonde woman in the fourth row stands on her
chair and starts shouting, "I've heard enough of your stupid
blonde jokes. What makes you think you can stereotype
Swedish blond women that way? What does the color of a
woman's hair have to do with her worth as a human being?
It's men like you who keep women like me from being
respected at work and in the community, and from reaching
our full potential as people. Its people like you that make
others think that all Blondes are dumb! You and your kind
continue to perpetuate discrimination against not only
blondes, but women in general...pathetically all in the name
of humor!"
The embarrassed ventriloquist begins to apologize, and the
blonde yells: "You stay out of this! I'm talking to that little
**** on your lap."

• Haha 2