Random Posting

Eric

• Eric locked this topic
40 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Guess it just a matter of choice on how you want to blow your money.

That's exactly right, Pipe. One could choose the "Me! Me! Look at me! I'm goin' to the moon!" approach, or one could choose to make a tremendous difference in the lives of a small subset of the people who live in abject poverty. And while one cannot end world poverty one can make a difference. I'm pretty much eat up with cynicism, but I still like to see folks who try to make a little difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

That's exactly right, Pipe. One could choose the "Me! Me! Look at me! I'm goin' to the moon!" approach, or one could choose to make a tremendous difference in the lives of a small subset of the people who live in abject poverty. And while one cannot end world poverty one can make a difference. I'm pretty much eat up with cynicism, but I still like to see folks who try to make a little difference. 

Then again, maybe Branson plucked half a dozen doomed little black kids from a lithium mine and set 'em up with foster families and scholarships before he went off on his rocket. I don't know.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

@Eric, serious inquiry. This would not be considered a meme, correct?

Education - Collapse Of Education Is The Collapse Of The Nation.jpg

I don't know if I am qualified to be the arbiter of memes, but it is good example of the type of posts I would like to see placed in the BookFace thread, or a thread of your making.

I'm not sure if I have explained myself well on this, so I am going to take another run at it. My problem isn't with memes specifically. The issue is twofold.

1. My issue is with posts that contain nothing but an image found elsewhere online. These posts do nothing for the site's search engine placement. In fact, having the same image files posted here that are found on countless other sites hurts the placement of the thread they are posted to, and to a lesser extent, the site itself. Search Engines want to see original content.
  2. In addition to that, such posts do almost nothing to engage other members and create conversation here. That is the point of the site and those conversations are beautiful search engine fodder. That is how sites like this grow. People posting images and other people zipping through and 'liking' those images does nothing for the site, except consume resources. Instagram can maybe make that sort of thing work for them, but it doesn't work here.

This is an entertainment site though, not a spreadsheet. If people want to post memes and other throwaway content like that, I'm happy to make room for it. I just don't want it in other people's threads. I don't want it in this thread. I've set aside several threads where such content will fit right in. Please use them. I do not want any more of these picture reposts in this thread.

------------------------------

COVID Posts:

There are a couple reasons I want to see COVID posts kept in designated threads.

1. It is a divisive topic. Even posts concerning COVID made in jest can and do turn into arguments, on a pretty regular basis.
  2. I am thoroughly sick of seeing anything about COVID and I do not think I am alone here. I am sick to death of the news stories, the memes/jokes, the bickering, the dire predictions, etc. I don't come to a site like this to get wound up by crap like that. I come here to escape it.

As with the meme/pic posts, it is something some people want to post/read about and I'll allow space for it (Grudgingly), but I want to keep it contained. I started a thread for COVID content. Please post ALL content related to the pandemic, the vaccine, the politics of it, jokes and memes about it, etc, to that thread, or start your own thread about it. I don't want content about COVID posted in other threads. There isn't enough traffic here to warrant any bigger an arena for the topic.

------------------------------

I have other plans for this thread and I've tried several times to weed out the meme/pic content here, but I have met with resistance. Anything you post in these other threads is going to get just as much exposure as it would have gotten here. If this site doesn't grow, it is going to die. In the coming months, I am going to make a concerted effort to grow the place and that will undoubtedly entail other changes as well as these ones. I will do everything I can to make the transition as painless as possible.

I will open this thread back up today or tomorrow, but I do not want any more of the picture repost posts made here. Thanks.

• Like 1

• Eric pinned this topic
3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Question?  Can you buy a car with roll up windows now days.

In 2014, we bought a Jeep Wrangler 4 dr. We had to 'custom order' it because they don't make Jeeps with manual transmission unless you specifically order it. We wanted roll-up windows and they said we couldn't unless we were willing to give up a large selection of the electronic features that we DID want. It just BLEW my mind I was having trouble buying a manual shift JEEP with manual windows.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

In 2014, we bought a Jeep Wrangler 4 dr. We had to 'custom order' it because they don't make Jeeps with manual transmission unless you specifically order it. We wanted roll-up windows and they said we couldn't unless we were willing to give up a large selection of the electronic features that we DID want. It just BLEW my mind I was having trouble buying a manual shift JEEP with manual windows.

I am as susceptible to nostalgia as anyone, but I do not miss manual roll-up windows and manual door locks. I do miss the ready availability of manual transmissions-equipped cars though. I really do prefer a stick-shift.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Eric said:

I am as susceptible to nostalgia as anyone, but I do not miss manual roll-up windows and manual door locks. I do miss the ready availability of manual transmissions-equipped cars though. I really do prefer a stick-shift.

Roll-up windows is a big plus for me. The Jeep was the first vehicle I had ever bought with electric windows. Then when we bought the RAM 4 door, my wife decided that she didn't want to roll her own windows up, so we ended up with electric windows in it too. Happy wife, happy life.

• Like 1

• Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic