Decisions, Decisions

Eric

Aircraft have to fly pretty low to follow the route to 40 west.  :biggrin:

Why is 17 south in the same direction as 40 west, but 17 north isn't in the same direction as 40 east?

NB never try to understand traffic signs in Europe.

The symbols are arcane and the natives ignore them anyway.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I’ve lived in towns beside that rail line in the pic in 3 states. I knew a guy who got decapitated by a train traveling those tracks through Grants, NM, back in the early nineties. He was walking along the tracks at night and a train was passing. A flatbed car had some sort of boom on it came loose and swung out to the side. It caught him in the back of the head as he walked. Poor bastard never knew what hit him. 

When I lived in Flagstaff, a couple of drunk college kids were standing on the eastbound track  to watch an oncoming train on the westbound track, when an eastbound train ran them over. The idiots never heard its horns, I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, tous said:

Aircraft have to fly pretty low to follow the route to 40 west.  :biggrin:

Why is 17 south in the same direction as 40 west, but 17 north isn't in the same direction as 40 east?

NB never try to understand traffic signs in Europe.

Te symbols are arcane and the native signore them anyway.

There is no I-17 north of Flagstaff. It ends at its junction with I-40. The southern end of I-17 is around Casa Grande, if I remember correctly. It isn’t a very big segment of Interstate.

Correction: I-17 ends at US60/I-10, in Phoenix. It is just over 145 miles long.

I got curious about what was the shortest Interstate Highway. It is I-878, in New York City. It is an Eastbound-only segment and it is only 3,696 feet long. NYS-DOT doesn’t acknowledge its existence. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 11:51 PM, tous said:

In the States odd federal highway numbers are nominally north-south while even numbers are nominally east-west. Sometimes very nominally.

Sometimes as shown one bit of pavement can share several highway numbers both odd and even. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

When driving, information overload is a real thing!

But it boils down to a choice between going left or going straight, which really strikes a chord in today's political reality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1