Escape the death grip of Windows 11 and embrace Linux: Nitrux 3.3.0 unveils a world beyond Microsoft’s boundaries

TBO

• Administrators

That looks like a nice OS, but I think Linux Mint is a better choice. It is the only flavor I use on my desktop Linux systems. Below is the desktop of the LM instance running in a Parallels container on my primary Mac. It is a slick, well organized system, built on Ubuntu, using the APT package system, which I think is the best package manager in existence. The LM version pictured below is the LM Cinnamon Edition. There are other versions using different desktop environments, to suit the capabilities of a wide variety of computer hardware.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 8.53.10 PM.png

• Like 4

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, TBO said:

Escape the death grip of Windows 11 and embrace Linux: Nitrux 3.3.0 unveils a world beyond Microsoft’s boundaries

https://betanews.com/2024/02/02/windows-11-linux-nitrux-3-3-0-microsoft/#google_vignette

BTW, the article gave me a heads-up on a graphics app I wan't aware of: Krita. I've already downloaded and installed it on my Mac. Thanks. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1: I am currently learning Inkscape. I have 25 years of experience with a variety of graphics apps, but I have never learned how to create vector graphics. I am trying to remedy that now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Setup Linux in a VM if you still use Win. You can run multiple desktops and learn the system. 

Tell me the down and dirty on VM's. Where are they stored? Cost? Secure?

I've never been to cozy on the idea of "Clouds". They seem to get cracked just about on a whim.

• Thanks 1

A long time ago my son set me up with a couple of VM's to try and get used to other systems.  It didn't work. However, I did find it simple to use and if  it's simple to me (an analog guy) it's really no challenge to some one that knows something!

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

I've never been to cozy on the idea of "Clouds". They seem to get cracked just about on a whim.

You can run virtual machines on your own computer, using software like VirtualBox. On MacOS, the best choice is called Parallels. I use it to run multiple OS containers simultaneously on my Mac. I typically have  Win10 and a Linux Mint instance running in virtual containers. I use the Win10 for a couple of graphics programs primarily and the Linux for some network and other miscellaneous stuff.

Anyway, the VMs reside in directories on your computer. When you create them, you assign resources, like processor power, memory, storage and graphics processor assets each VM can use.

There are a hell of a lot of Cloud hosting providers out there and the run the gamut of pricing, reliability and security. I host TBS on a cloud virtual hosting account. If want to be able to create virtual containers to play around with different OSs, VirtualBox or Parallels would probably be a better way to go.

• Like 4

Thanks Eric. I've tried Virtual Box several times and never could get past step #1. I somehow gathered the "Virtual" could be machine or cloud based, depending, but never could get it working. Maybe I didn't have the right OS, but Windows XP, 10, and a couple of distributions of Ubuntu wouldn't allow it, even though the Ubuntu wanted to try it.

I'll feel around a little more. I'd like to install Ubuntu again and dual drive my machine. I did that on an old one, but all the HP's I have had seems to not play with Linux. The old machine picked up a real nasty when I was on Windows, somehow, it wiped both OS's and crippled the HD. The IT guy couldn't even get it running. It was there, but locked up. If it was some sort of Ransom wear, it never gave a message. It has been a bunch of years, but I remember it being quite user friendly, except for updating my Garmin. That is what kept telling me to go to a VM.

Yea, they say they will, but I haven't had that happen. Easier to just open up Windows. I liked 10 enough I stopped fussing with getting the machine to take the Ubuntu, and kinda forget about it any more.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

Thanks Eric. I've tried Virtual Box several times and never could get past step #1. I somehow gathered the "Virtual" could be machine or cloud based, depending, but never could get it working. Maybe I didn't have the right OS, but Windows XP, 10, and a couple of distributions of Ubuntu wouldn't allow it, even though the Ubuntu wanted to try it.

I'll feel around a little more. I'd like to install Ubuntu again and dual drive my machine. I did that on an old one, but all the HP's I have had seems to not play with Linux. The old machine picked up a real nasty when I was on Windows, somehow, it wiped both OS's and crippled the HD. The IT guy couldn't even get it running. It was there, but locked up. If it was some sort of Ransom wear, it never gave a message. It has been a bunch of years, but I remember it being quite user friendly, except for updating my Garmin. That is what kept telling me to go to a VM.

Yea, they say they will, but I haven't had that happen. Easier to just open up Windows. I liked 10 enough I stopped fussing with getting the machine to take the Ubuntu, and kinda forget about it any more.

Getting dual-boot to work properly can sometimes be a real PITA, especially when either OS runs an update and tries to rewrite your boot setup. All of the Linux flavors have gotten a hell of a lot better at installing and/or booting off a huge variety of computer hardware.

If it has been a while since you messed with VirtualBox, you might give it another try. It has gotten better than it used to be. I've never much cared for it though. Parallels isn't free, but it is a hell of a lot easier to set up and run virtual machines. It is a MacOS-only app though.

I've been using Debian Linux and Ubuntu Linux (which is built on Debian) for more than twenty years. It is an outstanding OS. I now use Linux Mint on my personal computer Linux installs. LM is based on Ubuntu, which is in turn derived from Debian. I still use Ubuntu for my online servers. It is a powerful, dependable and secure OS. For desktop use though, I far prefer Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition. You can download Linux Mint (Or Ubuntu, for that matter) and use the ISO image you download to create a bootable DVD or thumb drive. Then, you can run the OS off the DVD or thumb drive, without having made any changes to your computer's hard drive. You can do just about anything from the live OS environment that you could do if the OS were installed on the computer. Then when you want to, there is a link on the desktop to install the OS. The install system is capable of resizing your Win OS partition and creating a dual-boot setup. Just make sure you have backed up the Win OS first, just in case. The installer has gotten a hell of a lot better, in recent years.

Anyway, running an OS like Ubuntu or Linux Mint off a DVD or thumb drive will give you a chance to play around with them, without altering your existing system. The live instance of an OS can interact with your computer's hard drive, so you can read and write to files on the system. You could set up a directory on your computer to store stuff from the live OS to and work off of it. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

I'm responding via Brave running on Manjaro in a Virtual Box VM. VM and "cloud" are separate concepts, but are used together often. Did you read the VirtualBox tutorial? It's worthwhile. What error mode are you experiencing? 

BTW, listen to BGH - he's geeky as a collard green. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 2/3/2024 at 8:59 PM, Eric said:

BTW, the article gave me a heads-up on a graphics app I wan't aware of: Krita. I've already downloaded and installed it on my Mac. Thanks. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1: I am currently learning Inkscape. I have 25 years of experience with a variety of graphics apps, but I have never learned how to create vector graphics. I am trying to remedy that now.

I have been teaching myself how to create vector-based graphics, using Inkscape. I've been doing graphics work since the late nineties, but i never learned vector graphics. I should have done so a long time ago, but I muddled through with raster-based graphics. There are some major advantages to building vector-based graphics for websites or print work, rather than using something raster-based. For one, the pic can be resized to any size with no loss in picture quality. There are no pixelation, or other similar graphics issues at any resolution. Another major advantage is the fact that vector graphics files are substantially smaller, so the graphics load much faster. Also, the vector graphic file is exactly the same size if the image is the size of a sheet of paper, or the size of a football field. The same file tells the computer how to properly render the image, whatever the size.

Anyway, I created my first vector graphic tonight. It is a See Spot Run type of lesson, but It is in the books and I can move on to the next step. I love learning new stuff.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 7.47.02 PM.png

Why did I even open this posing    OMG I didn't understand ONE WORD of it..  It's OK, my Chromebook works fine :worthy:    :cry:   :dunno:   :anim_rofl2:     :anim_rofl2:

Be kind to the Old Man 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Why did I even open this posing    OMG I didn't understand ONE WORD of it..  It's OK, my Chromebook works fine :worthy:    :cry:   :dunno:   :anim_rofl2:     :anim_rofl2:

Be kind to the Old Man 

I still have a slide rule. I shoot film and have a darkroom. I listen to vinyl records. My watch doesn’t have a battery.

I flunked technology. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DAKA said:

Be kind to the Old Man 

Chromebook runs on Linux, doesn't it? You're ahead of the curve. :)

• Like 1