Mac Music question.

Batesmotel

I want to remove a bunch of music from my Mac and my iPhone and iPad. All loaded from CDs I own  

I assume that if I remove it from the Mac and sync the other devices it will remove it from them also. Is this correct?

Thanks

• Like 1

• Administrators

The way that iTunes syncs things can be really unpredictable. Before you delete anything, you should make a copy of the 'Music' directory in your Home directory, so you can recover from anything unexpected. 

The short answer to your question is yes, probably, but the permissions hierarchy between the devices will not always do what you expect. I use Mac/Apple systems exclusively and mostly love them, but every rose has its thorns. I decided to save my Mac's Home directory to iCloud and share it between my devices a few years ago. The system synced and pruned in some really strange ways and I lost a lot of data, in the bargain. Never again, on that score. I still use iCloud for some things, but I control what goes where and when.

iTunes has the same idiosyncrasies. You can have music content of your own that you uploaded yourself and content that you bought from iTunes, but there system will still go in and change the media files and artwork, if they or the original artist decide to update it. I freaking hate that. They have on several occasions removed content from my iTunes account that I owned and uploaded, because it was no longer available on iTunes.

• Sad 1

Thanks

A bunch of albums I loaded from CDs are missing or some songs are missing.

A few albums that loaded correctly are now individual songs no longer in album format. 

Most infuriating is the album art is largely wrong. Somehow it just changed the art. Let’s say a band did an album and I loaded the art. But one member of the band plays on a different band, then his new album art showed up over the old band’s album.

I want to blitz a lot of it and reload the discs or just leave some of it off. Just don’t want to do it three times. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Thanks

A bunch of albums I loaded from CDs are missing or some songs are missing.

A few albums that loaded correctly are now individual songs no longer in album format. 

Most infuriating is the album art is largely wrong. Somehow it just changed the art. Let’s say a band did an album and I loaded the art. But one member of the band plays on a different band, then his new album art showed up over the old band’s album.

I want to blitz a lot of it and reload the discs or just leave some of it off. Just don’t want to do it three times. 

iTunes does the same thing to purchased movies, TV programs and audiobooks. It irritates the hell out of me when I am looking through my account for a specific movie or something and I don't find it at first because they changed the damned cover art for it again.

• Sad 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Silentpoet said:

I still remember working out and all of a sudden U2 is playing in my ear.

Last time I worked out, it sounded like an SR-71 was playing in my ear. I must have forgotten my BP meds.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Last time I worked out, it sounded like an SR-71 was playing in my ear. I must have forgotten my BP meds.

I was referring to the story referenced below. As for my blood pressure it depends on how many of the pills I take if it is somewhat acceptable.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1071481/remember-when-apple-forced-a-u2-album-on-us-all

• Like 1

Well, that explains some issues I've had.  I wonder if this is a function of Digital Rights Management crap on the individual album/song rather than a function of iTunes itself, since it seems so inconsistent.

As an aside, I really like purchasing ebooks WITHOUT DRM.  It irritates me when certain sellers/authors/publishers think they have some ongoing right to censor or alter my reading material after I've purchased it.  They couldn't do that if I bought the paper copy, and they shouldn't do it if I bought the ebook.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Well, that explains some issues I've had.  I wonder if this is a function of Digital Rights Management crap on the individual album/song rather than a function of iTunes itself, since it seems so inconsistent.

As an aside, I really like purchasing ebooks WITHOUT DRM.  It irritates me when certain sellers/authors/publishers think they have some ongoing right to censor or alter my reading material after I've purchased it.  They couldn't do that if I bought the paper copy, and they shouldn't do it if I bought the ebook.

:greensupergrin:

• Haha 1

I was listening to my music on my phone when all of a sudden Tanya Tucker started playing and I’m like where in the hell did this come from. Still is a mystery to me was never charged for it doesn’t show I downloaded it so where did it come from?

18 hours ago, Hook said:

I was listening to my music on my phone when all of a sudden Tanya Tucker started playing and I’m like where in the hell did this come from. Still is a mystery to me was never charged for it doesn’t show I downloaded it so where did it come from?

I wouldn’t mind Tanya Tucker music randomly appearing.  Not happy with U2 intruding on my stream though…

• Like 1