Ummm, Huh?

Eric

Shift to blue frequencies occurs when an object, or a galaxy, is approaching, i.e., coming at ya.

Thank Edwin Hubble and Christian Doppler in the mid-1800s for the science.

If it's a Ford Galaxy, jump out of the way.

If you happen to jump into that room., close your eyes, find a wall, follow it to a door and run for your life.

• Haha 4

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I have never seen a room finished like that.  I guess it's all about what you can afford and what's available.  My area was Cherry, White Oak. That's amazing!

Yeah, bird's eye maple is pricey, especially in those dimensions. Even the flooring is bird's eye. Even if a lot of it is veneer, that is an expensive room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah, bird's eye maple is pricey, especially in those dimensions. Even the flooring is bird's eye. Even if a lot of it is veneer, that is an expensive room.

Quality wood like that is very pricy.  I built a clock for my daughter, the one Cherry board 8" wide and 6 feet long, had the most unique grain I had ever seen. I bought it from a hardwood mill directly, the single board cost me $100.  The clock was worth it.  My daughter and her husband were fans of Stickley furniture and I had built copies for them that my daughter thought were better than the original.  (Blowing my own horn, I guess)

• Like 1

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Quality wood like that is very pricy.  I built a clock for my daughter, the one Cherry board 8" wide and 6 feet long, had the most unique grain I had ever seen. I bought it from a hardwood mill directly, the single board cost me $100.  The clock was worth it.  My daughter and her husband were fans of Stickley furniture and I had built copies for them that my daughter thought were better than the original.  (Blowing my own horn, I guess)

Yeah, you have to be really sure before you make the cut, with wood like that. Hell, lumber has gotten so pricey that I make really sure before I make a cut in a scrap board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Eric said:

The house of the CEO of The Umbrella Corporation? :eek:

263138622_4892945537422724_6139183458191490499_n.jpg

images.jpg

Paid well.....heard this story somewhere else.

Umbrella's large array of subsidiaries was typical for large-scale corporations, though it was purposely built to cover up illegal activities.

Soon after the opening of its pharmaceutical subsidiary, Umbrella Pharmaceuticals, Umbrella began developing biological weaponry for militaries across the world as part of a worldwide conspiracy to accumulate deadly viruses directly prohibited by the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention. Umbrella Pharmaceuticals was able to cover their true intentions by researching vaccines for the same viruses as a front.

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Umbrella_Corporation

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Paid well.....heard this story somewhere else.

Umbrella's large array of subsidiaries was typical for large-scale corporations, though it was purposely built to cover up illegal activities.

Soon after the opening of its pharmaceutical subsidiary, Umbrella Pharmaceuticals, Umbrella began developing biological weaponry for militaries across the world as part of a worldwide conspiracy to accumulate deadly viruses directly prohibited by the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention. Umbrella Pharmaceuticals was able to cover their true intentions by researching vaccines for the same viruses as a front.

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Umbrella_Corporation

I wasn't sure if anyone here would get the reference. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Umbrella, oh they must make nice rain umbrellas........... lol

Oh well back to the nice pictures of wood work.

There used to be an employee at a Walgreens I used to go to in Dallas who had a large Umbrella Corporation Logo graphic on the doors of his SUV. That used to make me smile when I saw it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Yeah, you have to be really sure before you make the cut, with wood like that. Hell, lumber has gotten so pricey that I make really sure before I make a cut in a scrap board.

Measure twice cut once...In my case I measure 5 times because if I don't write it down by the time I get to cut I forgot the measurement :headscratch:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Measure twice cut once...In my case I measure 5 times because if I don't write it down by the time I get to cut I forgot the measurement :headscratch:

I thought it was measure once, cut twice? :headscratch: :greensupergrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Funny that you said that.  When I made stuff with wood, I screwed up everything I ever made.  I tried all the so called methods of not screwing up and nothing worked.  MY final attempt was to buy wood that was so expensive that I couldn't afford to make a mistake, and it worked!

I agree with what you said from personal experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

Funny that you said that.  When I made stuff with wood, I screwed up everything I ever made.  I tried all the so called methods of not screwing up and nothing worked.  MY final attempt was to buy wood that was so expensive that I couldn't afford to make a mistake, and it worked!

I agree with what you said from personal experience.

I get myself in trouble because I am impatient and rush the process. If I make myself slow down and work methodically, I can do things right. At those times, setups for cuts and such usually take longer than the whatever operation I am performing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, tous said:

You've worked a mill, right?

Three hours of set up for two passes of the cutter and done.

The machinists would come to watch me when I was on the vertical mill or the metal lathe.  I had one ask me how I knew what to do without documentation.  I told him it was simple.  I worked from the middle out and whatever size it came out to be, that's what it was.

Most of my machine work was on RF cavities, RF coaxial components and radiation back scatter hardware and the important part was the interior, the exterior was what it wanted to be.

In the Gigahertz Frequency range, millimeter wavelength,  the finish influenced the performance, so my stuff was Copper and/or Brass polished like a mirror.  The machinist liked my stuff cause it was so pretty. (and it worked!)

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, tous said:

You've worked a mill, right?

Three hours of set up for two passes of the cutter and done.

Yeah, I've worked on manual and CNC mills and lathes. Setups can be a PITA, but they matter. Just placing a vice back on the bed after it had been removed, was a tedious, exacting process. That sort of thing has to be perfect though or nothing else will be right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tous said:

A grizzled old machinist told me, They don't pay me to move the cutter, they pay me to know where to move the cutter.

My son is retired and he bought a metal lathe.  It has digital positioning so you don't have to keep track of all the mechanical slop in the bed and drives.  I told him it's cheating!  He just laughs at me, his dinosaur father.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

If you guys like videos on machine work, you should check this guy out. He works on big mining equipment, construction equipment, etc. He does mill, lathe, welding. You name it. Some of the stuff he works on is is huge. He is personable and knowledgeable. I really enjoy his videos. I've spent many hours watching them. Him and his wife have a dog that makes it in to most of the videos. In fact, a number of the videos feature a short segment where the dog gets to check out and play with toys that viewers all over the world have sent him.

• Thanks 2

Just now, tous said:

Doing the exacting measurements and calculations meant we put a bit of our soul into the work.

Can't get that kind of satisfaction with a digital readout.

As odd as it sounds, it's true.  I have some personal attachment to every thing I made in the machine shop.  I used to create solutions that required me to machine the hardware.  I was asked why I didn't use the machinists to do the shop work?  The primary reason was that I love making things, the secondary reason was that each cut in the process was modified by proximity and parasitic capacitance effects and I compensated for those on the fly.  I really did.

I once, years ago built a coaxial cavity microwave parametric amplifier for another researcher, the resulted insertion loss produced a standing wave ratio of 1.04 to 1 at 5 GHz.  You have to love what you do to do it well.

• Thanks 1