Ummm, Huh?

Eric

7 hours ago, Eric said:

That ceiling is amazing.

306569071_5832658876784714_4439481267887967866_n.jpg

My home as a child had a living room separated from the dining room by two 12 foot sliding doors that slid into the walls.  The Dining room was Cherry and the living room was Quarter sawn Oak.  So the sliding doors were Quarter sawn oak on the living room side and Cherry on the dining room side.

The dining room had a steeple attached but open to the room.  The Cherry wood work in the steeple was cut to fit the curve of the steeple including the window frames and even the glass in the windows was curved.  The steeple had a cross on top and people confused my house with the church down the block.

The entry room was done in Teak.  We had a Teak inlaid ceiling the was 6 inches deep  with crossed beams styling.  In 1950 or so, my father was offered $5,000 just for the Teak ceiling and he turned it down.  Oh, the room also had two 5 foot by 8 foot stained glass windows too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

My home as a child had a living room separated from the dining room by two 12 foot sliding doors that slid into the walls.  The Dining room was Cherry and the living room was Quarter sawn Oak.  So the sliding doors were Quarter sawn oak on the living room side and Cherry on the dining room side.

The dining room had a steeple attached but open to the room.  The Cherry wood work in the steeple was cut to fit the curve of the steeple including the window frames and even the glass in the windows was curved.  The steeple had a cross on top and people confused my house with the church down the block.

The entry room was done in Teak.  We had a Teach inlaid ceiling the was 6 inches deep  with crossed beams styling.  In 1950 or so, my father was offered $5,000 just for the Teak ceiling and he turned it down.  Oh, the room also had two 5 foot by 8 foot stained glass windows too.

It sounds amazing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

It sounds amazing.

It was, but I hated going up and down stairs to do anything.  We had huge Copper lined gutters on the roof that fed through Copper drains down through the house into the cistern in the basement.  Had a widows walk without railings on a Copper covered flat part of the roof, it made for excellent antennas for me as a Ham Radio Operator.

The first TV stations in our state were in Minneapolis, 60 miles away.  We were high enough with the 20 foot mast for the TV antenna on our roof that we had TV before many in our town.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

292942092_5621275904589680_3865925278780750824_n.jpg

That small structure by the staircase and window, why surround what seems to be a small sitting area with spindles and a baluster?  :headscratch:

Or, is it a small staircase and that's a landing?

It looks like the paneling points down.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, tous said:

That small structure by the staircase and window, why surround what seems to be a small sitting area with spindles and a baluster?  :headscratch:

Or, is it a small staircase and that's a landing?

It looks like the paneling points down.

I think that is just a mid-story landing. Whatever it is, it is beautifully crafted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2