Ummm, Huh?

Eric

Just now, Eric said:

If you guys like videos on machine work, you should check this guy out. He works on big mining equipment, construction equipment, etc. He does mill, lathe, welding. You name it. Some of the stuff he works on is is huge. He is personable and knowledgeable. I really enjoy his videos. I've spent many hours watching them. Him and his wife have a dog that makes it in to most of the videos. In fact, a number of the videos feature a short segment where the dog gets to check out and play with toys that viewers all over the world have sent him.

I like the locking set screw.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

I like the locking set screw.

That nut is about a foot in diameter. It took some work to get that thing done. That nut was made to replace another $20,000 nut he had to cut off a massive hydraulic cylinder piston. He did a video of that removal as well. He used a 400-amp air arc gouger to split the old nut and only got into the shaft's threads in one spot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eric said:

That nut is about a foot in diameter. It took some work to get that thing done. That nut was made to replace another $20,000 nut he had to cut off a massive hydraulic cylinder piston. He did a video of that removal as well. He used a 400-amp air arc gouger to split the old nut and only got into the shaft's threads in one spot.

Sounds like the kind of hardware my family works with in the Nuclear Power plant Steam generators.  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:47 PM, Eric said:

If you guys like videos on machine work, you should check this guy out. He works on big mining equipment, construction equipment, etc. He does mill, lathe, welding. You name it. Some of the stuff he works on is is huge. He is personable and knowledgeable. I really enjoy his videos. I've spent many hours watching them. Him and his wife have a dog that makes it in to most of the videos. In fact, a number of the videos feature a short segment where the dog gets to check out and play with toys that viewers all over the world have sent him.

Great video.

Just how long is that lathe?

Question: I have seen the threading controls on lathes before and I always wondered.  Each pass of the cutter must begin in  exactly the same place on the work at the same speed or the thread is screwed up.

How do they do that?

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, tous said:

Great video.

Just how long is that lathe?

Question: I have seen the threading controls on lathes before and I always wondered.  Each pass of the cutter must begin in  exactly the same place on the work at the same speed or the thread is screwed up.

How do they do that?

Once that feature is engaged, the track and spin have to remain locked together. That way, the spin will always bring the cutter back to the correct origin of the threads.

That is a damned big lathe. Something that guy does when he doesn't want to live tap a hole is to turn off the motor of the mill or lathe just as the tap contacts the bore of the hole. Then he unchucks the tap and turns the tap in manually. Doing it this way assures that the tap is started squarely in the hole. I really enjoy that guy's videos.

BTW, his dog is named Homeless. :greensupergrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:59 PM, Eric said:

I was at the U of Minnesota Farm campus talking with some Ag Engineering students that were doin a project for me When they started talking about the problem of cutting off a nut on a Combine in their lab.

It seems that the debate was that they needed to save as many parts as possible after cutting off the nut.  I listened to them for a while and got distracted.  I love working with a torch, they didn't know that.

So, in my suit, I asked what parts they were talking about.  Seems they needed to keep the washer next to the nut and neither one thought they could do it.

I told them to give me the torch and tell me what they wanted to save.  I cut the nut, didn't touch the threads and then popped the washer of the shaft without a mark on it.  God help me, I love working with a torch.

I got some accolades for the "old man" that could cut.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I was at the U of Minnesota Farm campus talking with some Ag Engineering students that were doin a project for me When they started talking about the problem of cutting off a nut on a Combine in their lab.

It seems that the debate was that they needed to save as many parts as possible after cutting off the nut.  I listened to them for a while and got distracted.  I love working with a torch, they didn't know that.

So, in my suit, I asked what parts they were talking about.  Seems they needed to keep the washer next to the nut and neither one thought they could do it.

I told them to give me the torch and tell me what they wanted to save.  I cut the nut, didn't touch the threads and then popped the washer of the shaft without a mark on it.  God help me, I love working with a torch.

I got some accolades for the "old man" that could cut.

With experience and skill (of course) much can be done... the nay-sayers don't have a clue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1