Google’s Find My Device will soon use billions of Android devices to locate your stuff

TBO

This is why I stay low tech. My wife’s family on the other hand will be all over this. They LOVE using apps like Find My Friends. My mother in law tracks all of the kids and grandkids incessantly. They are pissed myself, my wife and my kids won’t join in. They will love Big Brother tracking everything they own. 

• Like 3

I.ve thought about a Tag several times since my memory got bounced out of my head. There are reasons I never have. The more tech companies try to intrude, the more I'm glad I never bought in. Not sure how much it matters in this day and time, though.

Orwell was right about everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tous said:

We are not the target of Big Tech's intrusions, amigo.

It is the multiple generations after us, weaned on smart phones, that are the willing, nay eager, victims.

Probably right. It is too easy for them to follow so many, why bother with someone who at least tries. Not sure what we really can turn off in the phone, but I try to keep it off and not give cart blanche app permissions.

If they want to find you and know the tower you are hitting along with a general direction of travel, it doesn't really take a lot. With the 5G short range, it should be even more easy. At that, and knowing a time frame for travel through the tower coverage, they know an area. With security and the type of surveillance of the modern era, even in my very rural area, they can find you if they want to bad enough and probably get near real time.

You would have to be a real stinker to make them want to follow you that bad and put that effort, but at least make them work for knowing you are standing on tile #386 in Lowes shopping the dry wall screws. 

• Like 3