Not saying it is right, just saying I understand.

Silentpoet

I went to pizza hut in Huntington Beach (cha-ching!) and they only had valet parking. I told them (a bunch of mexicans) that I'd pay, but I'm parking it and taking the keys with me. (I had all my personal luggage and work equipment in there) They were ok with that.
  • Like 2

In H. Beach, the fast food places would pay (free food?) the homeless people to watch the parking lot.

If you parked there and started walking to a different store (ALL valet), they'd give you a warning, then run into the restaurant if you ignored them. They probably got a cut of the the tow fee, too.
  • Like 1

I used to Live in L.A. and for a while I lived in an expensive area (Ventura Blvd in Studio City)  but I lived in a converted garage behind a massage parlor and rent was ridiculously cheap even for 1973becasue theplace wasn anything but upscale, but I liked it. There was a good Mexican restaurant down the street from me and food prices were reasonable but they had valet parking which I never used because there was always parking spaces right around the corner on the side street.

I took a girlfriend there once and parked as usual on the side street and she was a little put off but knew me well enough by  then to have started to accept my sometimes unorthodox renegade behavior. The restaurant was Casa Vega and it was used as a location in Quinton Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood" because it was the same family of owners and neither the interior or exterior had changed since the 60's.

https://www.iamnotastalker.com/2020/04/15/casa-vega-from-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have lived all over the L.A. area when working there in oil refineries doing turnarounds. Didn't matter much which area, the people there were a bunch of whack-a-doodles.

I worked in the oilfields in Bakersfield for a while and lived in Gorman at the top of the Grapevine. It wasn't far from Los Angeles and vicinity geographically, but it was a world away as far as the psychological makeup of the General population. A lot of the people who lived in Bakersfield were descendants of the Okies who headed West from Oklahoma. but couldn't make it over the Grapevine so they settled in Bakersfield where some farm labor work was available.

The Grapevine was one bodacious long, steep, hill going from Bakersfield into L.A.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have lived all over the L.A. area when working there in oil refineries doing turnarounds. Didn't matter much which area, the people there were a bunch of whack-a-doodles.

There's something in the water there.  Friend of mine from high school in OH when skipping off to UCLA because she wanted to be an actress... she was book smart (graduated in top 10 of class of 360+) but always a bit of a drama queen (ok, more than a bit), but she stayed in LA for 30+years... and turned into an O-blithering-idiot-ama sycophant.   Sad, really.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I used to Live in L.A. and for a while I lived in an expensive area (Ventura Blvd in Studio City)  but I lived in a converted garage behind a massage parlor and rent was ridiculously cheap even for 1973becasue theplace wasn anything but upscale, but I liked it. There was a good Mexican restaurant down the street from me and food prices were reasonable but they had valet parking which I never used because there was always parking spaces right around the corner on the side street.

I took a girlfriend there once and parked as usual on the side street and she was a little put off but knew me well enough by  then to have started to accept my sometimes unorthodox renegade behavior. The restaurant was Casa Vega and it was used as a location in Quinton Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood" because it was the same family of owners and neither the interior or exterior had changed since the 60's.

https://www.iamnotastalker.com/2020/04/15/casa-vega-from-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/

I mentioned that the restaurant hadn't changed since the 60's or the 70's when I lived there, but I just found out that they remodeled it recently but didn't change it a whole lot. I have fond memories of when I was young and living In L.A. before the Democrats turn the city into a 3rd world garbage dump.

SHERMAN OAKS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Casa Vega, an iconic Los Angeles restaurant and celeb hot spot, has been shut down twice in recent weeks, a rare occurrence that is causing concern among its many fans.

Other than holidays, the Sherman Oaks restaurant has only closed once before, after the Northridge Earthquake hit in 1994. But in the last two weeks it has closed twice: Once for renovations and once when it was shut down by the health department. The restaurant is a San Fernando Valley institution, known as a hangout for celebrities - like the Kardashians, who were there for Cinco de Mayo.

But recently, the health department shut the restaurant down briefly for violations, and took away its "A" grade.

"We had a plumbing problem in the back and a few bugs came out in the back storage freezer room," said restaurant owner Christina Vega. "It was nowhere near food. It was nowhere near a food prep area. So we dealt with it immediately. Shortly after that shutdown, the restaurant closed again, this time for renovations. The work had originally been scheduled for September, but they decided to move up the project. "My dad started this 61 years ago," Vega said. "So I think it's about time to give it a little TLC."

The family remains confident that the two closures, and the concern by the public, will just be a small blip in the restaurant's long history.

"Casa Vega is a celebrity of sorts. So I think it gets the celebrity treatment in good ways and bad. I hope that people will come and see next week what an amazing job we've done and we're not going anywhere."

https://www.bravotv.com/flipping-out/photos/before-and-after-photos-casa-vega#9491366

• Like 1

My brother has lived in San Francisco his whole life. To his (actor) friends, I'm instantly just a goat-roping Texas hillbilly, worthy of scorn and ignoring.

To me, they are all psychotic drones, and it's extremely hard to not often bust out laughing.

What a gentleman, he returned to his date for dinner after smoking someone.  I can respect that.  Houston is such a chithole now.  I was hoping the Katrina refugees would improve Houston but I guess not huh?  Tru story, long long time ago, they had ShotShow in Dallas.  I was a LEO in a neighboring suburb at the time.  I go and find a place to park and same thing, an "attendant" comes up and takes my money $10 for parking.  The real attendant than comes by so I go chasing after the guy and tackle him and demand my money back.  A Constable squad rolls up and the deputy in the passenger side gets out and draws down on me.   I explain the situation, show my badge, get my money back, and continued onto the show.   The OP titled the thread correctly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I mentioned that the restaurant hadn't changed since the 60's or the 70's when I lived there, but I just found out that they remodeled it recently but didn't change it a whole lot. I have fond memories of when I was young and living In L.A. before the Democrats turn the city into a 3rd world garbage dump.

SHERMAN OAKS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Casa Vega, an iconic Los Angeles restaurant and celeb hot spot, has been shut down twice in recent weeks, a rare occurrence that is causing concern among its many fans.

Other than holidays, the Sherman Oaks restaurant has only closed once before, after the Northridge Earthquake hit in 1994. But in the last two weeks it has closed twice: Once for renovations and once when it was shut down by the health department. The restaurant is a San Fernando Valley institution, known as a hangout for celebrities - like the Kardashians, who were there for Cinco de Mayo.

But recently, the health department shut the restaurant down briefly for violations, and took away its "A" grade.

"We had a plumbing problem in the back and a few bugs came out in the back storage freezer room," said restaurant owner Christina Vega. "It was nowhere near food. It was nowhere near a food prep area. So we dealt with it immediately. Shortly after that shutdown, the restaurant closed again, this time for renovations. The work had originally been scheduled for September, but they decided to move up the project. "My dad started this 61 years ago," Vega said. "So I think it's about time to give it a little TLC."

The family remains confident that the two closures, and the concern by the public, will just be a small blip in the restaurant's long history.

"Casa Vega is a celebrity of sorts. So I think it gets the celebrity treatment in good ways and bad. I hope that people will come and see next week what an amazing job we've done and we're not going anywhere."

https://www.bravotv.com/flipping-out/photos/before-and-after-photos-casa-vega#9491366

Went to a little store in the strip mall parking lot, to buy donuts as usual.  Typewritten letter on the door said that they were closed due to a Health Department Order.

My wife laughed at me and I told her I can't wait till they open again and I get those roach flavored donuts they were famous for.  My wife didn't see the humor in my argument.

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

Went to a little store in the strip mall parking lot, to buy donuts as usual.  Typewritten letter on the door said that they were closed due to a Health Department Order.

My wife laughed at me and I told her I can't wait till they open again and I get those roach flavored donuts they were famous for.  My wife didn't see the humor in my argument.

It will be the CLEANEST donut shop around......for a while :anim_rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1