Well, I never ...

ChuteTheMall

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Well, I never  ...   used a cattle prod to hunt earthworms.

I’ve been told electricity from the old phone crank bell ringers will also chase worms out of damp soil. Something else I’ve not tried 

IMG_2175.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Ya can't roller skate in a buffalo herd
But you can be happy if you've a mind to

Ya can't take a shower in a parakeet cage

All ya gotta do is put your mind to it
Knuckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it

Well, ya can't go a-swimmin' in a baseball pool
Ya can't go swimmin' in a baseball pool
Ya can't go swimmin' in a baseball pool

Ya can't change film with a kid on your back

Ya can't drive around with a tiger in your car

All ya gotta do is put your mind to it
Knuckle down, buckle down do it, do it, do it

Well, ya can't roller skate in a buffalo herd

Ya can't go fishin' in a watermelon patch

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 4:48 PM, ChuteTheMall said:

Well, I never voted for a write-in candidate.

I did.  I didn't see a local candidate I liked, so I voted for my friend who happened to be on a PAC for Mail Carriers.  He got a laugh and crap for my write-in.

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I’ve been told electricity from the old phone crank bell ringers will also chase worms out of damp soil. Something else I’ve not tried 

IMG_2175.jpeg

Had a hell of a kick if you wound it hard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I did.  I didn't see a local candidate I liked, so I voted for my friend who happened to be on a PAC for Mail Carriers.  He got a laugh and crap for my write-in.

I voted for Mickey Mouse a couple of times.

And I'm pretty sure that what I wrote on one ballot ended up as a vote for a lady named March Fong Eu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Fong_Eu

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Had a hell of a kick if you wound it hard.

We had two sets of those lying around in our garage for us kids to 'play with.'

I believe that dad must have been a firm believer in Darwin, survival of the fittest, and thinning the herd when necessary.  If we survived, it was meant to be.  If no, not so much.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

We had two sets of those lying around in our garage for us kids to 'play with.'

I believe that dad must have been a firm believer in Darwin, survival of the fittest, and thinning the herd when necessary.  If we survived, it was meant to be.  If no, not so much.

I believed in teaching my son.  I took an oil furnace igniter transformer and put two welding rods on it.  I bent them away from each other.  My son understood that if he touched them it might kill him.

When we plugged it in, it would do a Jacob's Ladder and the top of the spark gap the arc would be unstable but hold about a 4" to 5" long arc.

The approximation for the voltage is based on clear dry air supporting an arc with a minimum of 10,000 Volts per inch.  there are many factors that influence this breakdown voltage but it is generally this.

No we didn't have any problems. 

He was interested in the very things I was and I was an EE. He was my pride and joy, with two degrees, one an electrical engineer and the other was Computer science. 

He was in high demand because he knew the difference in whether a failure was in the software or in the hardware.  He could fix either.

When I first taught him to solder, he could solder solder to solder.  He had a fine touch for being in grade school.

He was a director in his company before he retired a year or two ago.  Now he and I made his daughter a Mechanical Engineer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, janice6 said:

I believed in teaching my son.  I took an oil furnace igniter transformer and put two welding rods on it.  I bent them away from each other.  My son understood that if he touched them it might kill him.

When we plugged it in, it would do a Jacob's Ladder and the top of the spark gap the arc would be unstable but hold about a 4" to 5" long arc.

The approximation for the voltage is based on clear dry air supporting an arc with a minimum of 10,000 Volts per inch.  there are many factors that influence this breakdown voltage but it is generally this.

No we didn't have any problems. 

He was interested in the very things I was and I was an EE. He was my pride and joy, with two degrees, one an electrical engineer and the other was Computer science. 

He was in high demand because he knew the difference in whether a failure was in the software or in the hardware.  He could fix either.

When I first taught him to solder, he could solder solder to solder.  He had a fine touch for being in grade school.

He was a director in his company before he retired a year or two ago.  Now he and I made his daughter a Mechanical Engineer.

Awesome job.  You should be very proud.

It's nice when a plan goes as hoped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:26 PM, Batesmotel said:

When we turned in our steel pots for Kevlar, we just tossed them into a big shipping container. They were headed to some allied countries somewhere. Then we signed for Kevlar.

After signing for the new helmet a lot of us reached in the container and took out steel pots and threw them in our cars. Still have mine. 

I used to have a steel helmet that was Chrome plated for drill purposes, I sold it at a swap meet along with a bunch of other stuff I had when I needed money.

I sold it to a young Mexican girl who looked really cute in it. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1