RIP James Caan

Silentpoet

This was a very cool 1975 movie with James Caan and the late Bo Hopkins and Burt Young and a bunch of violence and a surprise ending and martial arts with a cane and ninjas.

Even minor appearances by Tom Clancy and Tak Kubota (for whom the Kubotan is named).

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

Gardens of Stone one of the most underrated Films ever!

I met him when he was filming Gardens of Stone. I was stationed in Delta Company, The Old Guard then. The whole battalion was in the movie, in one scene or another. The entire battalion was in the parade scene of course, but troops from Delta Company were used as extras primarily. Several of my friends had closeup shots and a couple even had lines.  Nicholas Proffitt, the guy who wrote the novel the movie was based on and consulted on the film production, was in Delta Co back in the sixties. That's why the movie was based around that company.

Anyway, there was kind of a mixer party between anyone from Delta Company that wanted to attend and the actors and other big wigs on the movie. They were just being nice to the locals, I guess, but it was a lot of fun. Most of them were kind of standoffish, but James Earl Jones was a blast. That guy sat with some of us and I'm here to tell you, that man could DRINK some beer. I only met James Caan briefly, but he seemed nice enough. I didn't know that much about him back then and meeting him didn't seem like a big deal then. I didn't even think to ask for an autograph. I got one from Jones though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I met him when he was filming Gardens of Stone. I was stationed in Delta Company, The Old Guard then. The whole battalion was in the movie, in one scene or another. The entire battalion was in the parade scene of course, but troops from Delta Company were used as extras primarily. Several of my friends had closeup shots and a couple even had lines.  Nicholas Proffitt, the guy who wrote the novel the movie was based on and consulted on the film production, was in Delta Co back in the sixties. That's why the movie was based around that company.

Anyway, there was kind of a mixer party between anyone from Delta Company that wanted to attend and the actors and other big wigs on the movie. They were just being nice to the locals, I guess, but it was a lot of fun. Most of them were kind of standoffish, but James Earl Jones was a blast. That guy sat with some of us and I'm here to tell you, that man could DRINK some beer. I only met James Caan briefly, but he seemed nice enough. I didn't know that much about him back then and meeting him didn't seem like a big deal then. I didn't even think to ask for an autograph. I got one from Jones though.

That`s a Good Story!

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

That`s a Good Story!

I never actually read Gardens of Stone, but I did read another book that Proffitt wrote, after I met him. The book was another Vietnam novel, called Embassy House. It was a decent book. I enjoyed it. It was weird reading a novel by someone I had actually met and talked with.

We interacted with Proffitt several times. He was at the party and we all saw him around during the filming. He also toured our barracks and my company spent an afternoon with him. He told us about how the unit was run during the Vietnam era. It was a very different time and he was a good speaker. It was a great afternoon. He was a good guy.

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 8.19.41 PM.png

• Like 2