those nasty not-lady bugs

Mrs.Cicero

those totally fake not-lady bugs (the orange one) are all over the inside of my bedroom window.  Aside from sucking them up with the vacuum extension, which  stinks, is there anything else that gets rid of them?  I hate these things.  The only insects I don't mind in the house are honeybees because I'm extracting honey and a few rode in on the frames, and praying mantises, just because they are the coolest looking insect on the planet.  The stinkbugs have been only mildly annoying this year, but those stupid orange not-a-lady bugs are EVERYWHERE!

Keep them out? Spray mix of mint essential oil and water. Also  diatomaceous earth at entry points, however it will also kill honeybees. .

Kill them? For most insects I use a mix of  Dawn dishwashing liquid and water in a sprayer bottle.

HTH

• Like 1

Years back,  we went camping and they Invaded.

BaTrillions of them.  X100.

We couldn't cook food, unless you didn't care that it was mostly them.

You couldn't drink a beer, because 1000 would get in there.

Just sitting there,  they'd fly into your mouth and nose.  And go at your eyes.

We tried to build big smokey fires,  but it didn't really work.

It was just a China dry run, for covid.

I won't even kill the stink bugs.  If they get in, oh, well...

If they crawl on my desk,  I throw then into the trash can.  They might be back, don't know.

I think they're smart.  If you flick one with your finger,  it'll actually bow-up sideways, and turn it's head to look at you.  I don't find the smell unpleasant.

28 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

We tried to build big smokey fires,  but it didn't really work.

Somewhere along the way,  the dozens of kids got cattail spikes,  put them into the fire until they glowed red,  and then ran around, like Lord Of The Flies, billowing smoke. 

It didn't really work.

They loved doing it,  until we made them do it,  then it wasn't fun anymore.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Lovebugs can be run down with motor vehicles.  :car-green:

We traveled across the US,  very south-west.

My brother got some bulls-eye markers (like dartboards) you put on the rear-view mirrors.

Then, later,  you'd see who won (driver/passenger), by how many bugs splatted on your board.

Hummingbirds were worth X100.

I hit a 'possum last yer.

It was still early-morning-dark,  and I popped over the railroad tracks, (might have got some air)  and it was just sitting there,  washing it's face, or something. At 50mph.

The sound was horrible.

I still feel bad.

• Like 1

In Texas,  late at night,  I hit a 'dillo,  on a back FM road, at 70mph.  He was as big as a garbage can.

The whack sound was, bumper-dentingly loud.

Then, .3 seconds later, I hit another.

The first one was sad,  the second one was LOL.

They were making fun of me.  "Way To Go!  Killer!"

The third one,  five seconds later.....

then I slowed waay down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I hit a 'possum last yer.

It was still early-morning-dark,  and I popped over the railroad tracks, (might have got some air)  and it was just sitting there,  washing it's face, or something. At 50mph.

The sound was horrible.

I still feel bad.

I hate possums.  They've killed too many of my chickens for me to ever like them.  Don't feel bad.  You hitting the possum probably saved a bunch of chickens' lives.  Also, same with raccoons.  They've killed some of my kids favorite chooks and ducks.  Every time the oldest kid sees a roadkilled raccoon in the road, she sings a happy song about them being dead.  It's mildly creepy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ricordo said:

Keep them out? Spray mix of mint essential oil and water. Also  diatomaceous earth at entry points, however it will also kill honeybees. .

Kill them? For most insects I use a mix of  Dawn dishwashing liquid and water in a sprayer bottle.

HTH

I have mint in the essential oil bin around here I think.  Unless the youngest kid took it to chase the spiders out of her room (someone told her they didn't like that scent...).  Well, I do like the scent so I'll see what happens if I spray it on all the curtains.  Maybe the stupid things will decide they don't like it and leave.  I hope.

9 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I hate possums.  They've killed too many of my chickens for me to ever like them.

Mom had a ceramic egg.  For the hen-house.  She'd out it in the nests.

The snakes would eat it,  and not be able to get back out,  through the tiny hole. from whence they came.

In the morning,  Mom would get the snake, halfway out.

• Haha 1

Once,  at the pond, in Texas,  with the lever-Winchester .22,  which I still have,  was Mom's gun,  hanging over the back-kitchen door.

She could tell...

The gooses go off...

the guineas go off...

the turkeys go off...

the chickens go off...

I don't know.  I hated all the birds.

Mom knew.

She'd grab the gun,  at a run, and shoot something.

• Like 1