Cars on the FELICITY ACE that sunk

DAKA

11 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

Modern day life boats are an incredible marvel of technology. I hope the crew made it to the life boats!!

I like the ones on oil rigs. They use compressed air to launch them far from the rig. Fully enclosed. More like a survival torpedo than a traditional boat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

I understand they had ample time to evacuate. It burned for a long time before sinking and the burn was in the hold. Didn’t get to the crew quarters until long after they were off. This was a sad topic at the Porsche Club drive. 

Disappointment for those special ordered Porsches that were ordered Months before...Then notified that your car has been built, AND IS ON A SHIP... then HOLY CRAP   W T F 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DAKA said:

Disappointment for those special ordered Porsches that were ordered Months before...Then notified that your car has been built, AND IS ON A SHIP... then HOLY CRAP   W T F 

Imagine the phone call to your car insurance agent. "Yes, my brand new Porsche just sank in flames in the ocean! No! I wasn't driving it! No! I'm not drunk"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2022 at 7:39 AM, kerbie18 said:

Imagine the phone call to your car insurance agent. "Yes, my brand new Porsche just sank in flames in the ocean! No! I wasn't driving it! No! I'm not drunk"

When did/would title have passed on those cars? If I special order a new car through a local dealer I don’t think title passes until I have signed some stuff and have keys and bill of sale in hand, ready to get tags. 

1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

When did/would title have passed on those cars? If I special order a new car through a local dealer I don’t think title passes until I have signed some stuff and have keys and bill of sale in hand, ready to get tags. 

Don't be a buzz kill silly, I was making a light hearted joke. But, can you imagine explaining this clusterfuck to an insurance agency? Somebody is going to be filling out an epic amount of insurance forms....lighten up my friend

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:28 PM, kerbie18 said:

Modern day life boats are an incredible marvel of technology. I hope the crew made it to the life boats!!

Yes, they are. Being a passenger in one is a "Suck" level beyond comparison. Hot, crowded, and rough as all get out, then things go down hill. FIRST order of business is handing out sea sick meds, You take them, no argument. Even short rides can be brutal.

Beats the alternative, and they have a pretty good range on the engine, or ours did. We could easily make the nearest platform, and it was about 80 miles IIRC.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 7:45 PM, railfancwb said:

There were also privately owned cars on board that the owners were paying to have transported to the US.

People with really expensive cars in Europe will ship them to the US just so they can fly over for a week, or a month, and drive them. Hwy 1 on the coast in California is a prime destination and when traveling it you will see some of the most expensive cars the world has to offer, usually with out of country plates. They also love the passes in Colorado.

• Like 4