I'd Eat That

Schmidt Meister

4 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

The fritters in the picture are fried a little much for me. I usually pull mine out a little sooner.

Okra And Green Tomato Fritters

You speak my language. Okra is a food group of it's own.   Green tomatoes? 

Yeah.  I married a Southern Country girl for a reason.

Give me a catfish, the okra, tomatoes, and some grits, and iced tea....and a small bowl of ice cream....might as well be in heaven.

• Thanks 3

Why isn't there a drool emoji? Man, that meal sounds perfect. When I go out west with my wife and I ask for mullet or catfish in a seafood place, it's fun to watch them turn green. And they have no idea what grits or sweet tea is. My wife will not eat seafood but she will steal the hush puppies off my plate.

3 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Okra is the devil.  But fried green tomatoes and shrimp-n-grits are lovely.

GASP!  We finally differ. It's ok, it's probably my fault.  It's not you.  :)

I love my okra in any form.

Mrs. Historian once invited me to her mother's house to meet her mom...about a month after we started dating.  She served me ham steak and stewed okra and tomatoes.

I knew i was going to marry that girl.  It was okra love at first site.  Every year for my birthday she makes me that meal.

26 years last Feb.  March 2022 will be 20 years of marriage...and 27 years of ham steak.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

So ARE Brussel sprouts, and your "vegetable" fetish, makes me wonder if Mr. C eats that crap too.  I love "Tomatoes"...in RAGU Pasta sauce!!! "Fried and green"...I'd try em, but they sound disgusting.

NOW... Shrimp-n - Grits...NOW you're talkin!!!:D

• Haha 2

Now ya want to "Eat Somethin"?  Walk out of a Bar in 1968 in Tokyo Japan, after a night of drinkin with the boys....Starvin to death, and hit up one of the "soba" carts on the street at 2 am.  Some of the best food I ever had!!!  Of Course it was!!!

Some of the things I saw bubbling out of those buckets...I swear were still alive...and...I ate em!!!:D 

The "old" soba carts...didn't quite look like this, but this is this is the best rendition I could find.

vian-teow-soba-cart-finalized.jpg?1527082462

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm shocked. Okra is a southern delicacy. Fried, stewed, alone or with tomatoes, I love it. My wife would agree with you though. She says it will never touch her lips after watching us eat it at her first family function as my wife, it was stewed and slimy.

One of my friends back in the day, moved to Oregon, because of a job he couldn't say no to. He was raided by the police and temporarily arrested for growing marijuana. He said they had ripped up several of his okra plants before they realized they had made a mistake. They ended up reimbursing him for destroying his okra plants, which resemble pot plants very closely. Every time he encountered them after that in a restaurant  or wherever, he would loudly tell the story of getting busted for manufacture of okra.

• Haha 1

The Whistle Stop Cafe in Juliette, GA was the inspiration for the movie 'Fried Green Tomatoes' which was not a blockbuster, but being from the south, we enjoyed thoroughly. The story line takes a minute to evolve, but most people will enjoy the movie I think if they allow themselves to understand the region and the times.

Set as the iconic café in the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, the Whistle Stop Café got its humble start in the little town of Juliette, Georgia. When filming was done, the restaurant remained open and still serves classic southern dishes and of course, Fried Green Tomatoes, everyday!

Whistle Stop Cafe - Juliette, Georgia.jpg

Fried Green Tomatoes - The Movie.jpg

This recipe is from an article I read in Southern Living magazine about the Whistle Stop Cafe. I haven't ever bought the patented mix.

Fried Green Tomatoes - Whistle Stop Cafe

Ingredients:

3-4 green tomatoes

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup corn meal

1/2 tsp salt & pepper

milk

vegetable oil

Instructions:

Mix together flour, cornmeal, salt & pepper. Add enough milk to create a thick batter. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet. Batter each tomato slice, and wipe off excess. Carefully place in hot oil, browning on both sides. (may or may not need turning, depending on the amount of oil) To cool, drain in a colander to keep tomatoes from becoming soggy. Salt to taste.

If you don't want to mix your own ingredients, we developed a batter mix that makes perfect fried green tomatoes every time. Find the batter mix at WhistleStop Cafe website We find that using a hot oil will actually make the tomatoes crispy, but not greasy. We also like to fry other things...try some dill pickle slices while you have the mess out!

This is our recipe with an awesome sauce that I found in Southern Living years ago and we still use it today.

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients:

2-3 medium to large size green tomatoes

2 cups buttermilk

2 cups cornmeal

1/2 cup flour (plain or self rising, doesn't matter)

1/2 grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

salt

pepper

oil for frying (I use Canola with 2 - 3 tsp. bacon drippings and a couple of 1/4 slices of butter)

Instructions:

Slice the tomatoes in thick slices, about 1/4 inch.  Place in a bowl and pour the buttermilk over them.  Let them sit in the buttermilk for 15 -20 minutes.

Mix the cornmeal, flour and parmesan cheese in a shallow dish or pie plate and dredge the tomato slices a couple at time in the mixture.  Turn them over and pat the cornmeal mixture into them well.

Pour about an inch of oil in a skillet and heat to around 350 degrees or until it is sizzling. Make sure your oil is hot enough (but not too hot) or the tomatoes will be greasy and the batter may not stay on. Drop a little of the cornmeal mixture in the oil and it should sizzle. Leave room in the pan to turn the slices.

Sprinkle each slice with a little salt and black pepper. Only turn once or twice while cooking or they will fall apart. When they turn golden brown, remove from oil and place on wire rack covered with paper towels to drain. Salt again while they are still hot.

Buttermilk Ranch Herb Sauce

Yield: 1 1/3 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

2 teaspoons Ranch dressing mix

1 teaspoon lemon zest

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, Ranch dressing mix, lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, freshly ground pepper, and salt. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 2 days.

12 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

This is our recipe with an awesome sauce that I found in Southern Living years ago and we still use it today.

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients:

2-3 medium to large size green tomatoes

2 cups buttermilk

2 cups cornmeal

1/2 cup flour (plain or self rising, doesn't matter)

1/2 grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

salt

pepper

oil for frying (I use Canola with 2 - 3 tsp. bacon drippings and a couple of 1/4 slices of butter)

Instructions:

Slice the tomatoes in thick slices, about 1/4 inch.  Place in a bowl and pour the buttermilk over them.  Let them sit in the buttermilk for 15 -20 minutes.

Mix the cornmeal, flour and parmesan cheese in a shallow dish or pie plate and dredge the tomato slices a couple at time in the mixture.  Turn them over and pat the cornmeal mixture into them well.

Pour about an inch of oil in a skillet and heat to around 350 degrees or until it is sizzling. Make sure your oil is hot enough (but not too hot) or the tomatoes will be greasy and the batter may not stay on. Drop a little of the cornmeal mixture in the oil and it should sizzle. Leave room in the pan to turn the slices.

Sprinkle each slice with a little salt and black pepper. Only turn once or twice while cooking or they will fall apart. When they turn golden brown, remove from oil and place on wire rack covered with paper towels to drain. Salt again while they are still hot.

Buttermilk Ranch Herb Sauce

Yield: 1 1/3 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

2 teaspoons Ranch dressing mix

1 teaspoon lemon zest

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, Ranch dressing mix, lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, freshly ground pepper, and salt. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 2 days.

Ahhhhh....You're killin' me.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Now ya want to "Eat Somethin"?  Walk out of a Bar in 1968 in Tokyo Japan, after a night of drinkin with the boys....Starvin to death, and hit up one of the "soba" carts on the street at 2 am.  Some of the best food I ever had!!!  Of Course it was!!!

Some of the things I saw bubbling out of those buckets...I swear were still alive...and...I ate em!!!:D 

The "old" soba carts...didn't quite look like this, but this is this is the best rendition I could find.

vian-teow-soba-cart-finalized.jpg?1527082462

there's an episode of Samurai Champloo where one of the main characters works at a cart - and there are live eels in the buckets...  

• Like 1

Homemade Sausage Cheddar Biscuits 

Prep: 20 mins

Cook: 20 mins

Yield: 12 servings

Ingredients:

1 pound pork sausage* cooked and drained

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter salted or unsalted, cut into small cubes

2 cups cheddar cheese* ** shredded

1 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons butter melted

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking pan.
Cook and drain sausage.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture has pea-sized crumbs. Stir in the sausage and cheese.
Add the buttermilk and combine. I find it easiest to use a fork to gently stir the mixture until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Then, use your hands to knead the mixture a few times in the bowl to bring the dough together.
Turn the dough out onto a parchment-lined counter and pat into an 8x10-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 12 squares.
Transfer the biscuits to the baking pan, leaving 1 inche between each biscuit. Brush the tops of each biscuit with the melted butter.
Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes.

*If you prefer more biscuit and less ‘filling’, you can cut the sausage and cheese in half.

**Or substitute Monterrey, pepper jack, gruyere, or Swiss.

Homemade Sausage Cheddar Biscuits.jpg

• Like 1

I LOVE this stuff. My wife would make it once every other month if I didn't beg. I can eat it at least once a month and I have her plump up the recipe from time to time to prolong the leftovers for me.

Debra’s Beef & Tomato Macaroni Soup

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef

1/2 lb. ground pork

1 med onion - diced

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp granulated garlic

1 tsp garlic salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 - 32 oz container beef or vegetable broth

1 - 28 ounce can diced tomatoes

*1 can Rotel (optional)

1 can corn

1/2 cup ketchup

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tbsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp Italian seasoning

1 cup dry macaroni

Cheese - cheddar and parmesan  (if desired)

Instructions:

In a large stock pot, caramelize onions and then add ground beef/pork and next 4 ingredients. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain the grease.

Add broth, chopped tomatoes, *Rotel, corn, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes

Add the dry macaroni and let cook for 15 minutes. Top with cheese, if desired.

Debra's Goulash:Beef & Tomato Macaroni Soup.jpg

• Like 2

County Fair Funnel Cakes

Yield: 6 medium cakes

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil, for frying

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Rounded 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk

1 large egg

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

whipping cream

Instructions:

Heat 1 inch vegetable oil in a deep-sided cast-iron pan to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt. Create a well in center of bowl and pour milk, egg, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, and vanilla extract into well. Whisk into dry ingredients until batter is smooth and transfer batter to a squeeze bottle with a 1/4-inch opening at top (or to a wet measuring cup).
Holding squeeze bottle 1 inch from oil, carefully squeeze batter into oil in a spiderweb pattern, starting from center, using about 1/4 cup batter per cake. Fry cake, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides, 3-4 minutes total. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Return oil to 350 degrees before frying next cake.
Sift confectioners' sugar and/or spoon whipping cream over cakes just before serving.

Funnel Cake ... W:Whipped Cream.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 5:11 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

I cannot, repeat, CANNOT, do Hot/Spicy. I don't do voluntary colon cleansing by fire. I used to be able to handle it but I've never been a spicy food guy. I used to cook wings in a pile of butter and milk and when they were half done, I'd pour it off and use cayenne sauce to finish them. But that's as bad as my guts want. Anything worse and I spend too much time in the room of contemplation.

This pic made me take another nexium!  We used to eat hot wings dipped in hot sauce, washed down by whatever case of beer that was on sale.  It was years before I associated that with pooping in a creek the next day.  :pepper:

• Haha 2

Smothered Pork Chops And Gravy

Prep: 10 minutes

Cook: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

2 lbs pork chops

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

3/4 cup all purpose flour

2/3 cup vegetable oil I used corn

1 large onion chopped

4 cups vegetable broth

1 cup half & half

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp celery flakes

Instructions:

Season the pork chops with 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, 1/2 tsp of salt.

Toss the all purpose flour into a large freezer bag, then toss in the pork chops.

Shake the bag until the pork chops are well coated.

Remove the chops from the bag, and shake off the excess flour.

DO NOT THROW AWAY THE EXCESS FLOUR.

Pour the vegetable oil into a skillet, and warm it up over medium heat.

Once the oil is hot, start adding in the pork chops.

Fry each side of the chops for about 30 seconds, then remove from the oil, and set to the side.

Once all the chops are down, toss in the onions, and fry until they are translucent.

Sprinkle in the flour, and stir until the onions are coated with flour.

Cook until the flour turns golden brown.

Pour in the vegetable broth, and stir to prevent lumps.

Next, pour in the half & half, and stir.

Add in the minced garlic, celery flakes, and remaining salt & pepper.

Stir, until everything is well incorporated, and turn the heat off.

Smothered Pork Chops And Gravy.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Smothered Pork Chops And Gravy

Prep: 10 minutes

Cook: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

2 lbs pork chops

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

3/4 cup all purpose flour

2/3 cup vegetable oil I used corn

1 large onion chopped

4 cups vegetable broth

1 cup half & half

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp celery flakes

Instructions:

Season the pork chops with 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, 1/2 tsp of salt.

Toss the all purpose flour into a large freezer bag, then toss in the pork chops.

Shake the bag until the pork chops are well coated.

Remove the chops from the bag, and shake off the excess flour.

DO NOT THROW AWAY THE EXCESS FLOUR.

Pour the vegetable oil into a skillet, and warm it up over medium heat.

Once the oil is hot, start adding in the pork chops.

Fry each side of the chops for about 30 seconds, then remove from the oil, and set to the side.

Once all the chops are down, toss in the onions, and fry until they are translucent.

Sprinkle in the flour, and stir until the onions are coated with flour.

Cook until the flour turns golden brown.

Pour in the vegetable broth, and stir to prevent lumps.

Next, pour in the half & half, and stir.

Add in the minced garlic, celery flakes, and remaining salt & pepper.

Stir, until everything is well incorporated, and turn the heat off.

Smothered Pork Chops And Gravy.jpg

IF we ate like that we'd weigh 500 #...OMG

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DAKA said:

IF we ate like that we'd weigh 500 #...OMG

Mr. DAKA, don't think we eat like that everyday. We too gained a few pounds over the years and we have had to learn moderation. Both my wife and I have our health issues, I have COPD and My wife has had a couple of minor heart attacks so we eat rationally and in proportion today, not like we did back in the day. 10 years ago, I would eat two smothered pork chops with as much gravy as I could over buttered rice with garlic and brussel sprouts with garlicky cheese smothering them. And we would eat like that 4 or 5 days a week. Now we eat like that 2 maybe 3 days a week and the portions are halved or more with a little less gravy, butter and cheese. I love my food. But you are correct, this kind of a diet cannot be enjoyed like it was back in or younger days without paying a price.

• Like 1