I'd Eat That

Schmidt Meister

7 hours ago, Biff said:

MJ has a very distinct smell and odor, I don’t see how the police made such a dumb mistake.

When seen from the air from a helicopter it very closely resembles MJ. The air cops seen it and called it in and the popo on the ground were probably amped up thinking they were making a legitimate bust and started snatching before anybody thought to question the orders. That's what he told me that one of the cops told him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

You ain't kiddin.' We have an authentic Cuban business near here that makes cubans that will blow away anything I've ever been able to make.

I have gone to 2 Cuban restaurants here, and gotten hot pressed Cuban sandwiches. They were both great and worth the money. And if I gathered up all of the ingredients, I couldn’t match the taste.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Biff said:

I have gone to 2 Cuban restaurants here, and gotten hot pressed Cuban sandwiches. They were both great and worth the money. And if I gathered up all of the ingredients, I couldn’t match the taste.

Maybe we DON'T want to know what ingredient they use in the mayo aioli that makes them taste like they do, rofl. I love a great hot pressed cuban and I think you gotta know the secret. There are some of them that are awesome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This recipe is modified slightly from the recipe on the Hormel site. The original also has Lloyd's pork but you can use the shredded pork of your choosing, although if it's a lazy day, there is absolutely, definitely nothing wrong with Lloyd's pork. I keep it in the freezer for those times when the old lady ain't in the mood .... for cooking pork, that is. And you will never forgive yourself for not trying cole slaw on a shredded pork slider before now after you try it once.

Barbecue Pork Sliders With Optional Slaw And Optional Kosher Pickles - Hormel

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) package LLOYDS® Seasoned Shredded Pork in Original BBQ Sauce
1 package mini buns, or optional hot dog buns, split and toasted
coleslaw, if desired
kosher pickles, if desired

Instructions:

Heat LLOYD'S® BBQ Pork according to package directions.
Toast buns and spread with preferred condiments … i.e. Mayo, etc.
Place pork on mini bun.
Add coleslaw, if desired.

We prefer these on hot dog buns, toasted and with our preferred condiment? Claussen Kosher pickles.

Our cole slaw recipe is posted in this thread or if you want it, holler and I’ll send it to you.

Barbecue Pork Sliders With Optional Slaw And Optional Kosher Pickles - Hormel.png

• Like 1

I had what Mrs. G called HoppinJohn for lunch today. It's not really "official" H&J. She took the blackeyed peas leftover from NewYears and combined 'em with minced onion, sausage, rice, and bacon, and fried it all up in a saucepan. I ate it with what she calls cornbread (my mom made real cornbread and since she stopped making it I consider everything else "so-called cornbread". No offense intended, it's just how I was raised.) 

In any case, Mrs. G's HoppinJohn and baked mush product was mighty tasty. :eat:

Regarding the spelling of potlikker, I think the debate is moot. The people who invented it were likely illiterate, so there's really no correct spelling. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Easy Potato And Chicken Casserole

Prep: 15 mins.
Cook: 45 mins.
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:         

4 lbs bone-in chicken thighs & drumsticks
1 1/2 lb baby potatoes, skinned or not
1 large onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
coarse sea salt and black pepper
smoked paprika
garlic and onion powder
chopped dill

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 425F. Fill a large pot with water, season generously with salt and add the baby potatoes. Cook the potatoes over high heat, bringing the water to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. Arrange the chicken in a large casserole baking dish. Season the chicken generously all over with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the diced onions, minced garlic and the baby potatoes once they are done cooking. Pour in the heavy cream and broth.
Next, season the casserole with spices, sprinkle the chicken and potatoes liberally with smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chopped dill and whatever you prefer.
Cover the casserole with foil and bake the dish in the preheated oven covered for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for 25 to 35 minutes. The timing depends on the size of your chicken pieces; larger pieces require additional time. Test for readiness with a thermometer, chicken needs to reach 160F.
Remove the casserole from the oven and let it stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Easy Potato And Chicken Casserole.jpg

• Like 3

Stuffed Tomatoes With Rice

Ingredients:

6 very large firm tomatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound mild Italian sausage casings removed
1/2 cup onion finely diced
1 teaspoon garlic minced
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
kosher salt and pepper
1/2 - 1 teaspoon celery salt (adjust to taste)
cooking spray
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter melted

As always: Use freshly grated cheese if you plan on melting the cheese. ‘Most’ grated cheese has added stabilizers and does not melt as smoothly as block cheese.

Instructions:

Cut the tops off the tomatoes. Hollow out the insides of the tomatoes with a knife or grapefruit spoon. Set aside the tomato seeds and pulp*. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage, breaking up the sausage with a spatula. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until sausage is browned. Drain off any excess grease, then add the onion to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Stir the rice, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, salt and pepper into the sausage mixture. Add 1/2 teaspoon celery salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste and make salt/spice adjustment now) Put the tomato shells onto a pan greased with cooking spray. Mound the rice mixture evenly into the tomato shells.  Place the panko breadcrumbs and remaining parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add the butter and stir to combine. Add to the top of each tomato. Bake the tomatoes for 15-20 minutes or until breadcrumb topping has browned and serve.

My love of Zesty Catalina dressing makes it almost impossible for me to eat these tomatoes without having the bottle beside my plate. We all have our fetishes, lol.

*I can’t stand to throw tomato away if it’s not spoiled so I will make a small salad using lettuce, cucumber, and boiled eggs, add salt and pepper along with my tomato ‘guts’ and take them to my computer desk to snack on. And as long as you don’t get it too sloppy, you can add some of the chopped tomato to the rice filling as you cook it.

Stuffed Tomatoes With Rice - 1.jpg

Stuffed Tomatoes With Rice - 2.jpg

Grilled Cheese Tomato Sandwich - Kosher Pickle Optional

Yield: 2 sandwiches

Ingredients:

4 slices favorite-style bread
4 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
4 ounces grated Gruyère cheese (about 1 cup)
1 large tomato
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided

Ingredient Note: Your favorite herbs and spices can be added to grated cheese.

4 slices - kosher dill pickles*

Instructions:

Mix the cheddar and Gruyère together in a small bowl and set aside.
Prepare the tomato: Slice the tomato, slices should not be approx. 3/8”. Lay the tomatoes on a paper towel, blot the slices with more paper towels, and set aside on the paper towels while you prepare the rest of the sandwich.
Heat the broiler: Position a rack about 8 inches below the broiling element, and heat the broiler to medium.
Toast the bread: Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet or broiler-safe frying pan over medium-high heat. Swirl the pan to coat the pan evenly with butter, then add 2 slices of the bread. Fry until golden-brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the slices to a wire cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining butter and bread slices.
Spread on mayo: Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the unbuttered side of each slice of bread. You might not use all of the mayo.
Broil the cheese: Give the pan a quick wipe with a paper towel. Place 2 slices of bread back into the pan, buttered-side down. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese mixture (about 1/2 cup) over each slice of bread. Broil until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the tomato slices*: Carefully remove the pan from the broiler and add 2 slices of tomato to each sandwich. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Broil again for 1 to 2 minutes.
Squish and slice: Remove the pan from the oven and top each sandwich with another slice of bread (toasted-side up). Press down on the sandwich with the back of a flat spatula to press the sandwich together. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half crosswise.

Important Recipe Note:
This sandwich is best eaten immediately.

*Kosher pickle sliced can be added at the same time as the tomatoes or eaten on the side. Kosher pickles and tomatoes are soul mates.

We loves tomato sammiches and we have them often in the summer along with grilled cheese sammiches with tomato/V-8 soup to dip the grilled cheese sammich in. I like to combine the two and make these Grilled Cheese Tomato sammiches. The problem is that melty cheese and wet tomatoes make for a very unstable sandwich. By making an open-faced grilled cheese and adding fresh tomatoes that have been depulped or at least patted dry, you can avoid a pitfall that plagues what should be a perfect vegetable pairing. (Cheese is a vegetable, ain’t it?)

Grilled Cheese Tomato Sandwich - Kosher Pickle Optional.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spicy Stewed Beef W/Pimento Cheese And Bacon Grits

We got this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. She is a country man's cook. I don't think we changed but one thing from the original recipe and that was to reduce the amount of chili powder by half to reduce the spicy, I don't care for spicy.

Prep: 20 mins.
Total: 3 hr 20 min
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Pimiento Cheese and Bacon Grits, recipe follows, for serving, optional

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3 pounds beef stew meat or chopped chuck roast
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoons ground chili powder
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups low-sodium beef broth, plus more if needed

Instructions:

In a large pot over high heat, heat the oil and butter. Working in batches, cook the beef until browned on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic and some salt and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to deepen the flavors.
Add the beef broth, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the meat is fall-apart tender and the liquid is thick, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Check occasionally and add more beef broth if the sauce becomes too thick or dry.
Serve when meat is falling apart.

If serving with the Pimiento Cheese and Bacon Grits, spoon the hot stew over the warm grits in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and serve immediately.

Pimiento Cheese and Bacon Grits:

Ingredients:

• 5 slices thick-cut bacon
  • 1 1/2 cups stone-ground grits
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • Two 4-ounce jars diced pimientos, drained
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove it to a paper towel-lined plate.
Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the grits and salt. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring
occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Stir in the half-and-half and cook until the grits are tender and creamy, about 20 more minutes.
Add the pimientos, cream cheese, Cheddar and mustard and stir until melted together and combined. Chop or grind the bacon into small pieces and add to the grits. Stir in the pepper and serve.

Spicy Stewed Beef W:Pimento Cheese And Bacon Grits - PW.jpg

Southern (Classic) Tomato Gravy

Time: 30 mins mol
Yield: about 5 cups

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons butter or pan drippings from bacon or sausage
1 cup diced onion
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅛ teaspoon celery seed, crushed between fingers
1 large clove garlic, crushed or grated
1 large bay leaf
¼ cup flour
2 cups (or a 14.5-ounce can) tomato sauce*
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups (or a 14.5-ounce can) diced tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Ground black pepper

Instructions:

Melt the butter or drippings in a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, black pepper, celery seed, garlic, and bay leaf.
Sauté until the onions begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in the flour and continue to cook the roux, stirring constantly, until both the onions and the flour turn light golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Don't let the flour or onions get too brown.
Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, and the sugar. Combine with a whisk until the sauce comes to a boil. Turn the heat down until the gravy is at a low simmer. Cook until the mixture is smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and their juice and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Season with black pepper to taste. Just before serving, remove the bay leaf and stir in the lemon juice.

*Folks disagree on whether milk belongs in tomato gravy. This recipe does not have milk, but you can replace 1 cup of the tomato sauce with 1 cup of milk or cream for a creamier version.
This recipe is actually the foundation for tomato soup. Simply add a couple more cups of chicken stock, water, or milk.
This is perfect for serving over grits, rice, etc. Use in stuffed cabbage recipes instead of plain tomatoes.

Southern (Classic) Tomato Gravy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Broccoli Cheddar Mac 'n' Cheese

Prep: 35 mins.
Total: 40 mins.
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

Kosher salt
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
4 cups freshly grated mild Cheddar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground yellow mustard
4 cups broccoli florets chopped small pieces
30/40 Cheetos finely ground in food processor

Instructions:

Preheat the broiler.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain and reserve.
Add the butter to a medium Dutch oven and melt over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and keep whisking until roux is a light brown color, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking, until it thickens.
Stir in the cheese, garlic powder, cayenne, ground mustard and some salt until cheese is melted. Fold in the broccoli and the drained pasta and stir to combine.
Broil, watching carefully, until golden brown on top, about 3 minutes.
Sprinkle the Cheetos over the top and leave it that way or stir them in.

Broccoli Cheddar Mac 'n' Cheese - Trisha Yearwood.jpg

The Case Against Low-fat Milk Is Stronger Than Ever
By Alice Park

For years you've been told to go for skim over full-fat dairy. Even the latest dietary guidelines for Americans urge people to avoid the full fat, and following this lead, school lunch programs provide only low-fat milk and no whole milk at all, even though they do allow chocolate skim milk with its added sugars. But large population studies that look at possible links between full-fat dairy consumption, weight and disease risk are starting to call that advice into question. And some research suggests people who consume full-fat dairy weigh less and are less likely to develop diabetes, too

In a new study published in the journal Circulation, Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian and his colleagues analyzed the blood of 3,333 adults enrolled in the Nurses’ Health Study of Health Professionals Follow-up Study taken over about 15 years. They found that people who had higher levels of three different byproducts of full-fat dairy had, on average, a 46% lower risk of getting diabetes during the study period than those with lower levels. “I think these findings together with those from other studies do call for a change in the policy of recommending only low-fat dairy products,” says Mozaffarian. “There is no prospective human evidence that people who eat low-fat dairy do better than people who eat whole-fat dairy.”

Since full-fat dairy products contain more calories, many experts assumed avoiding it would lower diabetes risk. But studies have found that when people reduce how much fat they eat, they tend to replace it with sugar or carbohydrates, both of which can have worse effects on insulin and diabetes risk. In the current study, Mozaffarian adjusted for the role that weight plays, and found the connection between full-fat dairy intake and lower diabetes risk remained strong independent of weight gain.

In fact, in a separate study published in the American Journal of Nutrition, another group analyzed the effects of full fat and low fat dairy on obesity and found that among 18,438 women in the Women’s Health Study, those who consumed the most high-fat dairy products lowered their risk of being overweight of obese by 8%.
Together, the body of data is beginning to reveal both that full-fat dairy has a place in a healthy diet, and also how focusing on one nutrient in the diet may backfire. When dietary guidelines began urging people to lower the amount of fat they ate, the idea was to reduce the amount of cholesterol and unhealthy fats in the body. But by focusing just on cutting out fat, experts didn’t count on the fact that people would compensate for the missing fat and start loading up on carbohydrates, which the body converts into sugar, and then body fat.

“This is just one more piece of evidence showing that we really need to stop making recommendations about food based on theories about one nutrient in food,” says Mozaffarian. “It’s crucial at this time to understand that it’s about food as a whole, and not about single nutrients.”
While it’s not entirely clear how whole fat is helping to lower risk of diabetes, it’s possible that it’s working on several different levels to regulate insulin and glucose. At the simplest level, people eating more high fat dairy products will have enough calories so they won’t feel hungry enough to need additional calories from sugary foods. It’s also possible that the fats in dairy may be acting directly on cells, working on the liver and muscle to improve their ability to break down sugar from food. And then there’s the possibility that for certain high fat dairy foods, like cheese, which is fermented, microbes may be working to improve insulin response and lower diabetes risk too.
Mozaffarian isn’t advocating that people start consuming vast amounts of high fat dairy products if they’re worried about their diabetes risk. More studies need to be done in order for dietary guidelines to start recommending full fat dairy in order to improve health. But the results so far do support backing away from recommending just low fat options, he says. “In the absence of any evidence for the superior effects of low fat dairy, and some evidence that there may be better benefits of whole fat dairy products for diabetes, why are we recommending only low fat diary? We should be telling people to eat a variety of dairy and remove the recommendation about fat content.”

https://time.com/collection/guide-to-weight-loss/4279538/low-fat-milk-vs-whole-milk/

• Like 1

This recipe was modified slightly from a Pioneer Woman by the removal of wine and some herbs/spices in the stew. I'm not a fan of it and I think broths can be enhanced without the use of wine. And I hate basil and cilantro ... hate, hate, hate them.

Short Rib Stew

Prep: 30 mins.
Total: 2 hrs. 55 mins.
Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients

Stew:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons salted butter
2 pounds boneless short ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, diced
3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups beef stock
3 to 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves

Buttered Egg Noodles:

12 ounces egg noodles

Instructions:

For the stew: Heat the oil and butter in a Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Sprinkle the short ribs with salt and pepper, then brown in batches on all sides in the pan, about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Add the garlic, onions and carrots to the pan and toss in the drippings. Stir in the tomato paste and allow to cook until it has combined with the vegetables, for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the beef stock. Add the Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, bay leaves and the browned short ribs. Cover and cook over a low heat until very tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the rosemary and bay leaves before serving.
For the buttered egg noodles: Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and toss with the butter. Serve the stew over the buttered noodles.

Short Rib Stew - PW .jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:29 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

Maybe we DON'T want to know what ingredient they use in the mayo aioli that makes them taste like they do, rofl. I love a great hot pressed cuban and I think you gotta know the secret. There are some of them that are awesome.

You are right, maybe I shouldn’t dig tooooo deep to find out why Cuba sandwiches so tasty. 🤫

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:42 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

This recipe was modified slightly from a Pioneer Woman by the removal of wine and some herbs/spices in the stew. I'm not a fan of it and I think broths can be enhanced without the use of wine. And I hate basil and cilantro ... hate, hate, hate them.

Short Rib Stew

Prep: 30 mins.
Total: 2 hrs. 55 mins.
Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients

Stew:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds boneless short ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, diced
3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups beef stock
3 to 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves

Buttered Egg Noodles:

12 ounces egg noodles

Instructions:

For the stew: Heat the oil and butter in a Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Sprinkle the short ribs with salt and pepper, then brown in batches on all sides in the pan, about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Add the garlic, onions and carrots to the pan and toss in the drippings. Stir in the tomato paste and allow to cook until it has combined with the vegetables, for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the beef stock. Add the Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, bay leaves and the browned short ribs. Cover and cook over a low heat until very tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the rosemary and bay leaves before serving.
For the buttered egg noodles: Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and toss with the butter. Serve the stew over the buttered noodles.

Short Rib Stew - PW .jpg

On 3/6/2022 at 2:06 AM, Batesmotel said:

Forgive me for I have sinned. Pineapple and ham pizza. With a balsamic reduction. For my wife. It is her birthday. 

7BF5408F-217D-487E-9096-39B0E3408C83.jpeg

It sounds pretty good. Is that chocolate syrup? 

• Confused 1

On 3/6/2022 at 2:06 AM, Batesmotel said:

Forgive me for I have sinned. Pineapple and ham pizza. With a balsamic reduction. For my wife. It is her birthday. 

7BF5408F-217D-487E-9096-39B0E3408C83.jpeg

I don't like pizza enough to try anything outside my favorites but I'm glad that it makes you happy. The good thing is you daon't have to save any for me, lol.

• Thanks 1

Fried Red Tomato Sandwich

Prep: 15 mins.
Total: 15 mins.
Yield: 1 sandwich

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil, for frying
1 large egg
1/4 cup fine* ground cornmeal - regular if you can’t find fine ground
1/8 cup flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 firm large tomato, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices
2 slices white sandwich bread
1 leaf iceberg lettuce, optional
2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Instructions:

Pour vegetable oil into a skillet to a depth of about 1/4 inch and heat on high until hot.
Break the egg into a bowl and whisk. Pour the cornmeal, flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper into a second bowl and mix.
Dip the tomato slices first in the egg and then in the cornmeal mixture to coat completely. Add to the skillet and fry for 1 to 2 minutes a side.
Spread both slices of bread with the mayo and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pile the cooked tomatoes onto one of the bread slices, add lettuce, if desired, then sandwich the slices. Cut in half and serve.

Fried Red Tomato Sandwich - PW.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Homemade Sloppy Joes

Yield: 6 sandwiches

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. butter
½ green bell pepper minced
½ white onion minced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp. tomato paste
⅓ cup ketchup
⅓ cup water
1 tsp. yellow mustard
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. black pepper
6 brioche buns
Olive oil

Instructions:

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of oil then add meat. Begin to crumble the meat, cook until browned then remove from pan and drain. Add butter to skillet then add onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.

Add beef back to skillet along with the tomato paste. Mix well. Add ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, cayenne, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and water. Stir well and heat until thickened about 10 minutes.

Remove from the heat and add a generous portion to toasted brioche buns.

Homemade Sloppy Joes.jpg

• Like 1