Schmidt Meister

French Onion Burgers 

Prep: 5 mins.

Cook: 20 mins.

Yield: 4 burgers

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s Condensed French Onion Soup

(option - 1/2 chopped sweet onion like Vidalia)

4 slices American cheese (We also like Gruyere or Swiss)

4 hamburger buns

Salt and Pepper to taste

Splash of Worcestershire sauce*

1/2 tsp. garlic powder* or other desired burger seasonings

**Roux

2 tbsp. fat

2 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. flour

Instructions:

Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add in *Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder, if desired. Shape the beef into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) burgers.
Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook until well browned on both sides. Remove the burgers from the skillet.

If you are using additional sweet onion, add them to the skillet now and sweat them until they are translucent.

Pour off any fat (unless you prefer to make a roux).

**Use fat, butter and flour to make roux and then add the soup.

Stir the soup in the skillet and heat to a boil, making sure to include sweet onions. Return the burgers to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the burgers are done. Toast buns, if desired, in oven or in cast iron pan. Top the burgers with the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted. Serve the burgers on the buns with the soup mixture for dipping.

Note:

Burgers can be also served over mashed potatoes or rice with the extra soup for gravy.

French Onion Burgers - Campbell's.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

French Onion Burgers 

Prep: 5 mins.

Cook: 20 mins.

Yield: 4 burgers

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s Condensed French Onion Soup

(option - 1/2 chopped sweet onion like Vidalia)

4 slices American cheese (We also like Gruyere or Swiss)

4 hamburger buns

Salt and Pepper to taste

Splash of Worcestershire sauce*

1/2 tsp. garlic powder* or other desired burger seasonings

**Roux

2 tbsp. fat

2 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. flour

Instructions:

Season the beef with salt and pepper. Add in *Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder, if desired. Shape the beef into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) burgers.
Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook until well browned on both sides. Remove the burgers from the skillet.

If you are using additional sweet onion, add them to the skillet now and sweat them until they are translucent.

Pour off any fat (unless you prefer to make a roux).

**Use fat, butter and flour to make roux and then add the soup.

Stir the soup in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the burgers to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the burgers are done. Toast buns, if desired, in oven or in cast iron pan. Top the burgers with the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted. Serve the burgers on the buns with the soup mixture for dipping.

Note:

Burgers can be also served over mashed potatoes or rice with the extra soup for gravy.

French Onion Burgers - Campbell's.jpg

AAAGGGGHHH....now you've done it...I was going to have a salad...:anim_rofl2:

On second thought...If i don't have the bun, ...........................

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DAKA said:

AAAGGGGHHH....now you've done it...I was going to have a salad...:anim_rofl2:

On second thought...If i don't have the bun, ...........................

About half the time, I like to have them over mashed potatoes or rice. I seem to be losing my love of bread and it sucks, but I just don't enjoy it like I used too.

• Like 1

Potlikker Or Pot Liquor?

Potlikker (I'm using this spelling because it was the version preferred by all the old timers I grew up around) is the juice left in the pot after cooking turnip or collard greens

Interesting, about forty years ago or so I worked with a wonderful Black lady that told me the whole story about Potlikker.   Don't remember all the details but her thing was they severed the greens to members of the household and the blacks got what was left.  Her comment was they got the best part since all the nutriments was in the juice.  If I had to name the ten most memorable people in my life she would be one.  Over time she told me many things about the black community in Los Angeles back when she was a child, about wearing a hat a gloves to church and how things had changed so much.  If she is still alive she would be in her late 90's, last I knew she was 96 and living in a nursing home in Temecula CA.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

About half the time, I like to have them over mashed potatoes or rice. I seem to be losing my love of bread and it sucks, but I just don't enjoy it like I used too.

Probably a good thing

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Potlikker Or Pot Liquor?

Potlikker (I'm using this spelling because it was the version preferred by all the old timers I grew up around) is the juice left in the pot after cooking turnip or collard greens

Interesting, about forty years ago or so I worked with a wonderful Black lady that told me the whole story about Potlikker.   Don't remember all the details but her thing was they severed the greens to members of the household and the blacks got what was left.  Her comment was they got the best part since all the nutriments was in the juice.  If I had to name the ten most memorable people in my life she would be one.  Over time she told me many things about the black community in Los Angeles back when she was a child, about wearing a hat a gloves to church and how things had changed so much.  If she is still alive she would be in her late 90's, last I knew she was 96 and living in a nursing home in Temecula CA.

I've heard the same thing about the black servants saving the 'juice' from the greens and I believe they were getting the best part. I LOVE turnip greens and the roots but I will fight with you for the potlikker and a big chunk of cornbread. OMG.

She sounds like a few of the older black ladies I've known in my lifetime. They always seemed to be able to take anything and make the best meal out of it. My love of oxtails was started in the house of the black lady that worked for my Granny Smith when the garden was coming in. They would sit on the porch shelling peas, creaming corn and chatting and such and they could lay out a meal that would make you hurt yourself. 

• Like 1

Soooooo, I accidentally sliced thru some of my purple potatoes when I was digging them up, so they wouldn't keep... and I processed a bunch of chickens on Saturday and I've had a pot of stock in the making on the stove since then... so I made some chicken soup for supper because it was cold and rainy and everyone wanted some.  Then I separated the fat from the remaining stock in the pot, tossed it in the bottom of the frying pan to cover it 1/4" deep, and Mr.C mandolin-ed those potatoes and fried them up in the chicken fat.  BEST fried potatoes ever.  Since I have 3 jars of chicken fat in the fridge, I am going to see what else fries up nice in chicken fat instead of oil, butter, and/or ghee.  Just shut up about healthy eating.  This is a scientific experiment on my part.  Really.  And the whole family has volunteered to lab rat for it.

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2021 at 10:15 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

I use French's mustard, I've never pouponed anything, lol. 

Depends on what I'm eating.  Nothing wrong with French's it's mustard.

But i do like other brands of fancy mustard.   I've even made mustard before.   It's not hard.   But it sure is tasty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

You need a new neighbor?  :)  

Between me and the neighbor across the road and down a house, we'd fatten ya' right up!  She is a baker and makes beautiful cakes for weddings and birthdays and stuff... 

now my pumpkin pie in the oven alarm is going off.  The kid made me bake a pie with there pumpkins...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Between me and the neighbor across the road and down a house, we'd fatten ya' right up!  She is a baker and makes beautiful cakes for weddings and birthdays and stuff... 

now my pumpkin pie in the oven alarm is going off.  The kid made me bake a pie with there pumpkins...

Not sure i need help fatten up!

But i have been making beer for 24 years so maybe I have a useful skill to share! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Soooooo, I accidentally sliced thru some of my purple potatoes when I was digging them up, so they wouldn't keep... and I processed a bunch of chickens on Saturday and I've had a pot of stock in the making on the stove since then... so I made some chicken soup for supper because it was cold and rainy and everyone wanted some.  Then I separated the fat from the remaining stock in the pot, tossed it in the bottom of the frying pan to cover it 1/4" deep, and Mr.C mandolin-ed those potatoes and fried them up in the chicken fat.  BEST fried potatoes ever.  Since I have 3 jars of chicken fat in the fridge, I am going to see what else fries up nice in chicken fat instead of oil, butter, and/or ghee.  Just shut up about healthy eating.  This is a scientific experiment on my part.  Really.  And the whole family has volunteered to lab rat for it.

Sounds damn good. I could get into that experiment, although we fry almost everything these days in bacon drippings or lard. And before anybody jumps me about lard, do some research. It's not as bad as the "experts" have been telling you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Pumpkin pie is da bomb. It's the only use for pumpkin that I know of. I don't do pumpkin spice latte's.

2 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Pumpkin pie is da bomb. It's the only use for pumpkin that I know of. I don't do pumpkin spice latte's.

I roast it over an open fire and use it to make a beer based on Ben Franlin's own.

It's not sweat and it's not covered up in spice to cover up a bad base.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Historian said:

I roast it over an open fire and use it to make a beer based on Ben Franlin's own.

It's not sweat and it's not covered up in spice to cover up a bad base.

I wish I had your energy. You make your own mustard and beer and now open fire pumpkin pie ... sounds like we all need to move to the same rural area and have Mrs. Cicero and you giving prepping lessons, lol.

33 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I wish I had your energy. You make your own mustard and beer and now open fire pumpkin pie ... sounds like we all need to move to the same rural area and have Mrs. Cicero and you giving prepping lessons, lol.

She's much better at growin things than me.   :)  

• Like 1

I wish I was better at taking pictures of food when we cook. This picture is not a good representation of our chicken and dumplings because when we made this batch, we were cooking for company that doesn't like carrots and celery in the dumplings so you don't see them here but we prefer them in our c&d. I cannot stand thick or doughy dumplings while my wife loves the thick doughy ones, so we alternate or we make two batches.

Southern Chicken And Dumplings - Galloway

Prep: 30 mins. + 2 hrs.

Cook: 1 hr. 35 mins.

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour

½ cup shortening

1 egg

½ cup milk

1 whole chicken

1 can Cream of Chicken soup

2 cups chopped celery

2 cups chopped carrots

1 small onion, chopped

salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:

Mix flour and shortening together in a bowl until it resembles cornmeal.
Slightly beat egg and milk together in a separate bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir to form a ball of dough. Place onto a floured surface; knead and roll as thin as possible using a floured rolling pin. Let dough stand for 2 hours.
Place chicken into a large pot and add water to just cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and continue to boil until chicken is no longer pink in the center and meat falls off of the bone, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read 165 degrees.
Remove chicken from the pot; strain broth and return to the pot. Add Cream of Chicken soup and salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and return to broth. Add celery, carrots, and onion. Add enough water to completely cover ingredients. Bring to a boil; continue to boil for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut dough into strips, approximately 1-inch wide. Tear strips and drop into boiling broth. Drop dough slowly enough to never stop the boiling. Continue to boil for 10 minutes more or until carrots are tender. Taste for seasonings with salt and pepper and serve.

Note:

You can use any cooked chicken you may have previously cooked or bought to save that time. Be careful because rotisserie chicken can be very salty or be seasoned in a style that doesn't translate very well to chicken and dumplings. Better to cook your own chicken. If you want and, I prefer, to use only dark meat because it imparts a more intense chicken flavor. I use 6 ~ thighs in this recipe when I do that.

We also have found several store bought dumplings that are very thin that we have enjoyed as much as our own but this is hit and miss, sometimes they don’t have them locally. I like for my dumplings to be as thin as possible, I cannot stand the puffy, doughy dumplings.

Chicken And Dumplings - Galloway - 1.jpg

• Like 1

It's not my style to make a burger that's bigger than what I  can reasonably fit in my mouth. I cooked several steaks, searing them in cast iron and finishing them off in the oven, and baked a lb. of bacon while the steaks were in. While my burger was not as thick as this one, it was awesome. Steak, bacon and some Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese on a toasted bun with a smear of Kraft Tangy Bacon Catalina salad dressing .... top shelf.

Burger - Steak, Bacon And Cheddar And Monteray Jack Cheese Burger.jpg

We purchased 1/2 cow the first of the year and now since we have scarfed all the other cuts, we have a lot of hamburger to eat. These are great because I love gravy ... on damn near everything. 

Hamburger Steak With Creamy Onion Gravy

Prep time: 15 min

Cook time: 30 min

Yield: About 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:

For the Patties:

3 tablespoons of cooking oil

1-1/2 pounds of ground beef

3/4 cup of onion, finely chopped

1 large egg

1 teaspoon of seasoned salt

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper

About 1/3 cup of all purpose flour, for dipping the patties

For the Gravy:

1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, halved and sliced (about 3 cups sliced)

1 cup of beef broth

1 cup of water

1/4 cup of all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon of seasoned salt, or to taste

1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, or to taste

1/2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, optional

1 teaspoon of browning & seasoning sauce (like Kitchen Bouquet), optional

Instructions:

Heat the cooking oil over medium high in a large heavy-bottomed stainless skillet. In a medium sized bowl, gently combine the hamburger, chopped onion, egg, hot sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Shape into 4 to 6 equal sized patties. Dip each patty into the flour and cook until browned on both sides; remove and set those aside.

Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until lightly caramelized, stirring regularly. Whisk together the beef broth, water, 1/4 cup of flour, seasoned salt, pepper, and the Worcestershire and Kitchen Bouquet, if using, until well combined. Pour into the skillet with the onions and stir constantly, until mixture begins to thicken.

Return the hamburger steaks to the skillet, turn to coat, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes longer. Serve with mashed potatoes and some green beans.

Cook's Notes: The brown gravy for these is pretty good all on its own since its reliant on the pan drippings, but if you have it, just that little bit of Worcestershire and Kitchen Bouquet adds a bit more depth and is delicious.

Hamburger Steak With Creamy Onion Gravy - DSD.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you guys tried this stuff. It's a product of Jamaica. I guess it's been around for a while but we just tried it a few months ago and I think I like it best in burgers and my wife made a dip with it that is excellent on fries. I avoided it when she first got it, she likes to experiment and she can take 'heat' more than I like to. I read cloves and ginger on the ingredients and let my past opinions override my experimental side for a while. It's worth trying but I advise moderation. I can't compare it to Worcestershire Sauce but it's along those lines. We just had some last night in a new experiment with deviled eggs, which I LOVE, and it was a nice addition if used sparingly. Southern Living said it was a "southern mainstay," whatever, I haven't even seen it in the stores around here and Publix and Winn-Dixie carry all the "southern mainstays." I ordered it on the www, where I learned there are 5 different varieties.

Pickapeppa Sauce - Jamaica.jpg

Pickapeppa Sauces.jpg

I LOVE deviled eggs. I LOVE deviled eggs ALOT. My wife will eat them but she's not a fanatic ... thank goodness. So I get most of each batch. There are about 3 different varieties of deviled eggs we make. There's not a huge amount of different things you can do with deviled eggs and keep the true southerner happy but these are very close to our original recipe. This variety substitutes sweet pickle juice and a thin slice of sweet pickle for the sweet pickle relish that we normally use. Butter in the recipe makes the yolks especially creamy and the two types of mustard give them a slightly twangy bite. All southern recipes for deviled eggs include paprika for a garnish ... I could care less for it but my better half insists on hers. I included a egg peeling tip that I found several years ago. It works for me MOST of the time. The fresher the egg, the harder they are to peel.

Creamy Southern Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:

12 large eggs

1/4 cup mayo

1 tbsp butter, room temperature (the creamy factor)

2 tsps. yellow mustard

2 tsps. dijon mustard

2 tsps. sweet gherkin pickle juice

1 tsp. sugar

1/8 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

Optional toppings: paprika, pickle slices, finely crumbled bacon

Instructions:

Boil eggs using your preferred method. (see tip*) Peel and set aside.

Slice eggs in half lengthwise.

Remove yolks and place in medium bowl. Add mayo, butter, pickle juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well with fork.

Spoon yolk mixture into each egg half or use piping bag.

Sprinkle with optional toppings including a small slice of sweet gherkin pickle depending on your tastes.

*Tip: I found this tip on a farm/homestead site for peeling eggs that works for us almost unfailingly … almost. Place eggs in a metal colander and place the colander in a pot that will allow the colander to set down completely inside the pot. Fill the bottom of the pot with water, the exact amount isn’t important, just make sure you aren’t submerging the eggs. And also make sure that there is enough water to keep the pot from boiling dry. Cover the pot.

Allow the eggs to steam for 20-22 minutes. Remove the colander (or steamer basket) from the pot and rinse the eggs with cold water to halt the cooking process.

And then, relish in the experience of peeling a farm-fresh egg without strife, frustration, or rolling profanity. Life is good.

Creamy Southern Deviled Eggs.jpg

• Like 3