I'd Eat That

Schmidt Meister

2 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I love deviled eggs.  Everyone in the family loves them.  And for peeling them - they are easy to peel when I use the InstaPot to cook them, which I think is similar to your steaming method.  Yummmm.

I've been reading on several cooking sites that the InstaPot is becoming the preferred method of cooking hard boiled eggs because of the ease of peeling. We don't have one  ... yet. I'm still getting used to programming and using the convection oven. I'm an antique and don't adjust to change well, lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I've been reading on several cooking sites that the InstaPot is becoming the preferred method of cooking hard boiled eggs because of the ease of peeling. We don't have one  ... yet. I'm still getting used to programming and using the convection oven. I'm an antique and don't adjust to change well, lol.

I just let them sit in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. Peeling fresh eggs is a nightmare either way IMO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Who knows what this is? You don't hardly ever see them used any more. I like to use ours when we have a large piece of meat that is very lean. Just say yes if you know what it is or have used one. I know your grandmother used one if she lived in the south.

Larding Needle.jpg

Honestly???  Never saw one.  What's it used for.  Some type of tenderizing I'd guess.

4 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Honestly???  Never saw one.  What's it used for.  Some type of tenderizing I'd guess.

Took me a minute to find a picture of one that was loaded. It's called a larding needle. If you had a large piece of meat that might turn out dry or just to add some flavor, you place a strip of bacon in the groove in the needle and push it into the meat. When you have it inserted, you pull it out while pushing the lever which forces the bacon to remain in the meat. It probably would do a fair amount of tenderizing at the same time.

Larding Needle - Bacon.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/22/2021 at 10:34 AM, Mrs.Cicero said:

I love deviled eggs.  Everyone in the family loves them.  And for peeling them - they are easy to peel when I use the InstaPot to cook them, which I think is similar to your steaming method.  Yummmm.

I don't have an InstaPot, but I do steam my eggs. As for peeling. I chill the eggs and then use a spoon for that task. Makes short work of it and does a clean job.

• Like 2

Took me a minute to find a picture of one that was loaded. It's called a larding needle. If you had a large piece of meat that might turn out dry or just to add some flavor, you place a strip of bacon in the groove in the needle and push it into the meat. When you have it inserted, you pull it out while pushing the lever which forces the bacon to remain in the meat. It probably would do a fair amount of tenderizing at the same time.

I'll just use this...

tire_repair_lead.jpg

• Haha 1

Well, that's just damn COOL!!!  God love BACON!!!  Thanks man!  Damn sure never saw one.

• Haha 1

We almost ALL love a good brownie. I know I do. My wife has her own recipe that she uses most of the time, her go-to. I found this recipe for old time school cafeteria brownies in a reproduction cook book that one of my aunts had. It is very good and just has a nostalgic taste. She has made it several times over the years and recently made it by request for a family get-together. Give it a try.

School Cafeteria Brownies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups granulated sugar

4 large eggs

4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Chocolate Frosting:

1/4 cup butter, softened

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

3 cups powdered sugar

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with foil and spray foil with non-stick spray. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add the melted butter and cocoa powder. Using the paddle attachment, blend until smooth.

Add the flour and sugar. Beat together then add eggs and vanilla. Mix just until combined. Don’t over mix. (Batter will be thick)

Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove brownies from oven and let stand 15 minutes before frosting. You want the brownies still warm when you frost them.

Chocolate Frosting: Beat together all the frosting ingredients until smooth. Pour and spread over warm brownies. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.

School Lunch Brownies.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This recipe was modified slightly from a Trisha Yearwood recipe.

Short Rib Ragu Over Egg Noodles

Prep: 30 mins.

Cook: 3 hrs.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 pounds beef short ribs
1 tablespoon tomato paste
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 tsp. sugar
2 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
16 ounces egg noodles
Grated Parmesan, for serving

Instructions:

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the short ribs, add them to the pot and brown well on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Add the chopped vegetables to the pot and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, broth and sugar and stir to combine. Return the short ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cover the pot and cook until the meat separates easily from the bones, is extremely tender and shreds easily, about 3 hours.* Remove the meat from the ribs and discard the bones. Shred the meat into small pieces, discarding any hard sinew and unrendered fat. Return the meat to the sauce.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions.

Serve the pasta topped with short rib sauce and Parmesan.

*We added 1 cup chopped button mushrooms when there was 30 minutes left of the cook time.

Short Rib Ragu - TY.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

This recipe was modified slightly from a Trisha Yearwood recipe.

Short Rib Ragu Over Egg Noodles

Prep: 30 mins.

Cook: 3 hrs.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 pounds beef short ribs
1 tablespoon tomato paste
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

1 tsp. sugar
2 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
16 ounces egg noodles
Grated Parmesan, for serving

Instructions:

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the short ribs, add them to the pot and brown well on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Add the chopped vegetables to the pot and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, broth and sugar and stir to combine. Return the short ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cover the pot and cook until the meat separates easily from the bones, is extremely tender and shreds easily, about 3 hours.* Remove the meat from the ribs and discard the bones. Shred the meat into small pieces, discarding any hard sinew and unrendered fat. Return the meat to the sauce.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions.

Serve the pasta topped with short rib sauce and Parmesan.

*We added 1 cup chopped button mushrooms when there was 30 minutes left of the cook time.

Short Rib Ragu - TY.jpg

BUT   BUT........ it's only 7 am and I am drooling over the SHORT RIBS

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

We love brisket. I have included one of many, many recipes of cooking brisket here, but I realize that everyone has their own method. Cook it however you want. I have gotten to the point in my life where i want my meat to be ultra tender and as juicy as possible without just soppy dripping. And as with any recipe, the spices and sauces can be adjusted to your personal preferences. I was in the middle of preparing this to cook one time and realized I didn't have any Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce. I was tired and didn't want to run to the store, I hate going to the store and I went to the refrigerator and dug around and found a bottle of Zesty Catalina and just added a cup. Hey, it was just as awesome as ever and I didn't tell the old lady until after we ate and she said it had a little something different and was wondering if I had followed the recipe. Yeah, I fessed up. She said it tasted just as good.

Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Prep: 15 mins.

Cook: 8 hrs. 30 mins.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 lbs. slow-cooked beef brisket

1 cup beef stock

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp soy sauce

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, sliced thinly

olive oil

freshly ground black pepper

salt

Sandwich:

2 slices per sandwich, bread of choice

gruyere cheese, thinly sliced

smoked cheddar, thinly sliced

mozzarella cheese

butter, softened

Instructions:

Slow-Cooked Brisket:

Season beef brisket with salt and pepper.

If preferred and I do, caramelize onions for 10 minutes in a small pan with a couple tbsp. butter.

Place caramelized onions, beef, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and garlic in a slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours.

Remove from slow cooker and shred or slice meat. If slicing, slice against the grain, the thinner, the better.

Sandwich:

Spread (a lot of, lol) butter on each side of the bread, place butter side down in the pan. Add a layer of gruyere and mozzarella to cover the bread.

Top it with brisket then put a layer of cheddar and mozzarella on top. Cover the pan and let the cheese melt and the bread toast in very low heat.

Place another buttered slice of the bread on top, butter side on the outside then carefully flip the sandwiches. Press to lightly flatten out then continue to toast gently for 3-4 minutes.

Remove from pan, and serve.

Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich copy.jpg

• Like 3

My wife used to make stuffed bell peppers and I loved it. But after a while I got to where I couldn't stand the bell pepper and I don't even know why. Not the flavor, just the idea of it. I think it had something to do with the texture of it after being cooked and then eating it in bite sized pieces ... I don't know. My wife found a bell pepper soup recipe and I love it as much as always. The bell pepper is diced small and you get the flavor in every bite but not chunks. This is what we replaced our stuffed bell pepper recipe with. Adapted from several recipes. And as much as I love soup in the wintertime, it is perfect. Made some tonight.

Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup

Prep: 20 mins.

Cook: 35 mins.

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef

2 bell peppers diced small

1 onion chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon black pepper

¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes

14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes

32 ounce beef broth

1 cup rice

Shredded cheese of your choice for topping

Instructions:

In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook ground beef, onions, bell peppers, and seasonings until meat is no longer pink. Add minced garlic, stir and cook for two additional minutes. Drain and return to pot.
Add tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and rice. Stir.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until rice is tender, approximately 25-30 minutes.

Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with cheese.

Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup - 1.jpg

Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup - 2.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 4:30 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

Double Bacon Cheeseburger with Mac And Cheese Waffle Buns from John Belvedere's, Sydney, Australia.

I've made waffles out of tater tots before but never mac & cheese.

This burger looks awesome.

Double Bacon Cheeseburger With Mac And Cheese Buns - John Belvedere, Sydney, Australia.jpg

I would find myself in confession.

Father I have sinned...it's name was waffle mac burger.

• Haha 1

I saw this recipe several times on the web and it got to appealing to me more and more. I've always been a fried chicken man ... I've always enjoyed good wings, The mids, in particular, more than the drumettes ... and I've always loved pickle juice. I still drink the stuff when the pickles are gone. So we finally tried it and I really enjoyed it. We made a ranch and dill dip and ate the batch of about 45 wings in two sittings and loved them. Simple and good. 

Dill Pickle Fried Chicken

Simply marinate chicken wings in dill pickle juice for 24 hours.

Drain wings and season lightly with salt and black pepper.

Coat wings as you normally would, with flour and deep fry until done.

Enjoy.

Dill Pickle Fried Chicken.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:31 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

I'm shocked. Okra is a southern delicacy. Fried, stewed, alone or with tomatoes, I love it. My wife would agree with you though. She says it will never touch her lips after watching us eat it at her first family function as my wife, it was stewed and slimy.

One of my friends back in the day, moved to Oregon, because of a job he couldn't say no to. He was raided by the police and temporarily arrested for growing marijuana. He said they had ripped up several of his okra plants before they realized they had made a mistake. They ended up reimbursing him for destroying his okra plants, which resemble pot plants very closely. Every time he encountered them after that in a restaurant  or wherever, he would loudly tell the story of getting busted for manufacture of okra.

MJ has a very distinct smell and odor, I don’t see how the police made such a dumb mistake.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:55 AM, DAKA said:

It doesn't look quite like the Cubans from around Miami....

It doesn’t look like the Cuban sandwiches in St Pete either, which  resemble flattened subs or hoagies.

But, I’m sure that there is leeway in how people prepare them. Hot pressed Cubans are good food.

• Like 1