Cooking...What have you made recently

DAKA

I was bored this afternoon, so I decided to "cook something" for dinner,,,,

There are some "items" that you should always have in the "pantry" and refer

Hmmm, Tomato soup

We gots all the ingredients....wow

Can 35 oz whole tomatoes

1/2 of an onion and a shallot (found in refer)

Bit of tomato paste

Chicken stock 

Bit of flour and brown sugar....

I sort of remember ... put the tomatoes on a sheet pan, and bake at 450 till they soften up and get toasty,,30/40 min......saute the shallot/onion in butter till it softens

add a Tbs of flour and mix it in add the juice from the tomato can, 8 oz of chicken stock, tomato paste and the "baked" tomatoes....bring to a boil then 

reduce heat simmer for 10 minutes...then I added about 6-8 oz of heavy cream (or leave it out, it was in the refer) I used the Immersion blender and  also added a "glug" of Captain Morgan

can't hurt... right!  

OK now what o have with that....UGH salad???

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DAKA said:

There are some "items" that you should always have in the "pantry" and refer reefer

10 minutes ago, DAKA said:

1/2 of an onion and a shallot (found in refer reefer)

You're welcome.

I love every form of tomato I have ever met, that soup sounds great.

Disappointed in my garden this year.  More cucumbers and peppers than I know what to do with but the tomatoes would not grow.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Bread and compound butter for my nieces bridal shower tonight. 

Yesterday was teriyaki chicken and Brussel sprouts in a balsamic glaze. 

I love my new stove.  

F11308FC-C3D7-4D4F-8048-1BEB34BD8D1F.jpeg

Never learned to make bread. Probably a good thing.

I'd "Sample" that till I made myself sick. Especially warm with a little honey butter. Mmmm, Mmmm.

EATING-EMOJI-2.png

Going to try my hand at some peach jam in the next day or two. We'll see how that turns out. A lot of trouble for the end product, I guess, but I can control what goes in and the  amount of sugar. The peaches ore on the counter ripening up, so here we go.

• Like 1

Until yesterday, I had never cooked anything with bok choy in it, and outside of Chinese restaurants, had never eaten it, either.  However, MrC asked me to plant some in the garden this year 'cause he likes it, so... I grew some.  Well, I grew 2 plants (the marauding varmints ate the rest of the first planting, I've planted more, but the rest aren't big enough to eat yet).  Anyway, last night we had bok choy with cashew sauce and tonight we had sesame bok choy.  Everyone liked both, but I liked the first night the best and MrC liked the sesame one best. Daughter says they are fine, but where's the meat? (That child would live on steak and nothing else if she could).   Now he has asked for me to make bok choy kimchi... I don't know quite how I feel about that.  My experience with kimchi involved the tears running down my face and my nose running along with them, and Master Ahn and our other instructors laughing at all of us while they ate the rest of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hear ya Mrs. C. My experience with kimchi is the smell of something dead skunk with vinegar poured over it, dug out of the depths of the earth. My eyes were watering when they opened it across the rather large room. I never tried it.

I love Bok Choy though. Probably my favorite of the cabbage family, rivaling Nappa Cabbage. Both carry a lot of nutritional value, and taste good to me.