Go to the safe and pick out your favorite. What is it and why?

jame

Tough call for all of us, I'm sure.  This isn't one of those, "If you only had one....", deals.  It's just that everyone has a teacher's pet.  I know I have mine.

And I know that some have many, many firearms to pick from, and some may have just a few.  I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

If I were to go and pick one that treats me well, it would be my Remington 1100 12 gauge, 21" barreled, Special Field.  It's the solution to a problem I had with bird hunting several years ago, and it's served me exceptionally well.  I have so idea how many rounds I've fired out of that gun, but it's been caked with mud, coated in weed seeds and dust, doused and frozen, and it has never, ever failed me.  

Some of the blueing is worn thin, there are scratches in the lumber, and a dent or two in the barrel rib, but if I have to whack something moving inside of 50 or 60 yards, out in the open or inside and tight, 5:AM dark thirty, or middle afternoon blue skies, it just plain works, every single time.  For me, shooting this gun is as natural as putting on pants.

What's yours?

Very tough call. Probably grandpa's Winchester 72 heavy barrel .22 that he won the military small bore championship with in the mid 50's.   Or the .243 Savage that was my first rifle.  Or the Winchester 1300 12 ga I bought at the Oshman's in Irving a couple months before Officer Aubrey Hawkins was killed by the Texas Seven.   Or the 66-2 4" .357 that my wife's grandfather carried for many years as a Washington County, AR Sherriff's deputy.   

Edited by GlockPride

I can narrow it to two choices. My 686-4 with a 4 inch barrel and my 640 (no dash). The 686 replaced my first handgun purchase in '85 that I foolishly traded away. Also, the man I bought it from was an old friend and mentor that has since passed away. He was a WWII vet and retired police officer. He spent many hours teaching me how to reload and other gun related wisdom. My 640 was carried as a BUG by myself for many years in my own LE career. The trigger is smooth as silk and they no longer make that perfect size and weight 38 special version. Neither are worth a ton of money, but both have a lot of sentimental value. Both would also do quite well if I had to press them into active service again.

An old beat up colt agent, very worn and carried a lot in it's day.

It belonged to my uncle and is way to valuable to me to carry or even shoot anymore, it even has the  same ammo he carried in it. When I got it I just cleaned it , reloaded it and locked it up safe.

Edited by geeorge
spelling
  • Like 1

My most favorite "nostalgic/sentimental" firearm is my Marlin 60. I got it for Christmas when I was 12. It has lived no more than 6 feet away from me for practically my entire life. My favorite every day gun is my GLOCK 19 - it was the first I bought on my own, the one I taught my youth group to shoot with, the first firearm I cc'd (when out of state of course!), and the first pistol my daughter ever shot. All the others I like and enjoy, but those two are sentimental to me.

Now if we include firearms that don't (yet) belong to me, we can add my dad's old .22 revolver. A PITA to shoot with its tiny grips, but the first hand gun I ever shot nonetheless.

Ruger M77 in .220 Swift.  Bought in the 70's when Ruger first chambered it.  My favorite woodchuck rifle.  Back then Norma was the only factory loaded ammo I could get.  Led me into reloading...  The slippery slope started...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

That baby has zero sharp edges.  Either melted at a gunsmith or extremely well-worn.  Or both.

It's a Kimber Custom Defense Package. They do the meltdown as part of the package. There is definitely some wear as well. I've been carrying that pistol since 2001. It is a real tack driver and very reliable.

• Like 2