Firearms Pics & Sundry

Eric

13 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Wonder what the ratio of exposed hammer to concealed hammer is in the 38/357/9mm pocket revolver world. If you have a choice in your safe, which are you most likely to carry?

I think that a "bobbed" hammer makes the most sense, being able to codk the gun would make it more accurate...right?  

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Wonder what the ratio of exposed hammer to concealed hammer is in the 38/357/9mm pocket revolver world. If you have a choice in your safe, which are you most likely to carry?

Concealed hammer revolvers is what I carry. YMMV. tom. :cowboy2:

5 hours ago, deputy tom said:

Concealed hammer revolvers is what I carry. YMMV. tom. :cowboy2:

Have been carrying a Ruger LCR in .38 Special. Considering dragging a Taurus 651 in .357 out of the safe. Would still use .38 Special ammo. Ability to use single action without a hammer spur maybe snagging my clothes would be major reason. (Image from internet search)

IMG_2996.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Have been carrying a Ruger LCR in .38 Special. Considering dragging a Taurus 651 in .357 out of the safe. Would still use .38 Special ammo. Ability to use single action without a hammer spur maybe snagging my clothes would be major reason. (Image from internet search)

IMG_2996.jpeg

S&W 649 with added Tyler Grip Adapter not shown. tom.

S&W 649 for sale at Gunsamerica.com: 919883610

Also S&W 642 stock. tom.

S&W Model 642-1 for sale at Gunsamerica.com: 962259338

On 2/10/2024 at 10:17 PM, railfancwb said:

I have some of both,  and I prefer a real hammer.

Maybe because my first handgun was a Ruger Single Six 22/22m  in single action, maybe because my largest revolver is a Vaquero in .45/.45acp, maybe because my smallest revolvers are NAA minis in 22/22m, maybe because I shot a brace of Vaqueros in SASS cowboy action shooting, maybe because I think SA is safest for training beginners if they can learn to decock safely. I know this is debatable, and some police agencies consider a cocked revolver  serios safety problem.

I never had a problem snagging any hammer, even my S&W 637 snubbie in a pocket; snubbies have a lot of charm and I never needed more than 5 for sure, at least not yet.

That said, my most carried revolver is a S&W 642 because it was my first centerfire revolver, slips into a pocket even bundled up in a Remora, and always goes bang, and it's old.

But I normally carry semi-autos, because reasons.  :shooting-two-guns:

Pic unralated:

8fo7tg.jpg

22 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Is there a Colt model with hammer treatment similar to the Smith 649 and Taurus 651 ?

No but back in the old days Colt sold hammer shrouds that were bolted onto the frame of Agents, Detective Specials, etc. A buddy of mine carried one. tom.

1967 Colt Cobra with Factory Hammer Shroud – Factory Lettered with ...

• Like 3

My Ruger LCR and a Taurus J-frame style revolver revolve the cylinder counter clockwise. A Smith and Wesson medium frame revolver is also counter clockwise.

A Ruger Vaquero uses clockwise rotation. Suspect this is true for most Peacemaker styled single action revolvers.

Are Colt single/double revolvers users of clockwise rotation?

20 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The picture of a Colt with hammer shroud shows clockwise rotation it appears.

Seems clockwise rotation works with the cylinder latch system while counter clockwise rotation works against it for revolvers with cylinders unfolding to left. 

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

My Ruger LCR and a Taurus J-frame style revolver revolve the cylinder counter clockwise. A Smith and Wesson medium frame revolver is also counter clockwise.

A Ruger Vaquero uses clockwise rotation. Suspect this is true for most Peacemaker styled single action revolvers.

Yes, Colts are clockwise rotation. tom.

• Like 1

Smith and Wesson Model 65-???

I’ve read that the numbers after the dash for that S&W represent variations rather than barrel lengths.

Without the factory labeled box or other paperwork shipped with the gun how does one determine the correct number after the dash?

Internet picture says 65-4 but how is that known? I’ve examined my version and couldn’t even find the base model number much less what would come after the dash. 

IMG_3222.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Smith and Wesson Model 65-???

I’ve read that the numbers after the dash for that S&W represent variations rather than barrel lengths.

Without the factory labeled box or other paperwork shipped with the gun how does one determine the correct number after the dash?

Internet picture says 65-4 but how is that known? I’ve examined my version and couldn’t even find the base model number much less what would come after the dash. 

IMG_3222.jpeg

Open the cylinder, look on the flat part of the crane, in front of the open cylinder.

8fqu2w.jpg

• Thanks 1