I Guess These Weren't Zero-Zero Seats

willie-pete

3 Russian military pilots killed when ejection seats accidentally activate

The Russian military says that three members of a Russian bomber's crew have died when their ejection seats accidentally activated during preflight checks.
www.clickorlando.com www.clickorlando.com

" Three members of a Russian bomber's air crew died Tuesday when their ejection seats accidentally activated during preflight checks, the military said. "

15 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

I can understand not making them work for 0 airspeed but 0 altitude is a bad design.

There are times when aircrew need to depart their aircraft when it is still on the ground or only a few feet in the air.

Consider a Navy aircraft losing power when launched from an aircraft carrier.

The NACES (Navy Aircrew Common Ejection Seat),  currently still the Martin-Baker M-14, I believe,  is a tiny spaceship, a marvelous piece of technology; even if they are British.

Upon activation, it will launch aircrew fast enough to avoid being struck by the vertical stabilizer(s,) and high enough from zero feet altitude to deploy a parachute  and ease the occupant gently down to Earth.

Well, not gently, but survivable.

The seat will also orient itself and its payload such that the feet are pointing down, regardless of the orientation upon ejection.

Of course, seat separation and parachute deployment are automatic so even an unconscious aircrew can survive.

I am saddened by the deaths of those aviators.

Flying, especially military aviation, is a dangerous job.

Edited by tous
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1