Air Rifles

LostinTexas

Anyone here use them. Not talking about pellet guns. I have a very nice pair of .177 and 22 cal adult power pellet rifles, and they are both great.

I'm talking about 357, 45, 50 cal air rifles capable of taking large game. The price of admission is steep, but seems to be something I may like. With the current events of the country, I think it may be a good time to try it.

Any experience, words of wisdom, recommendations?

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

Nope. Its the same with electric cars, they don't get me going. No passion. On top of that, I'm a reloader, and "reloading" air doesn't cut it.

I do own a cheap Wal Mart pallet rifle. That damn Mockingbird ticking off every night at 2 AM sharp is asking for it! It's either that, or I'm going to burn down the entire tree!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sparks said:

Can't help with the big boy air rifles.  But I shoot this 1911 bb gun nearly every day.  I'll be following this thread to see what pops up.  :)

Screenshot_20201219-221559~2.png

That's a nice BB gun. Is it Gas cartridge operated?  I've got the old Daisy Pump BB gun.  That thing is about 350 FPS, but them Steel BB's ain't good for just Plinkin round the house. least in my hood.

image.png.d18959ebf49b40db4521ef44d1371659.png

Picked me up this Air Soft Pistol a few days ago, and That Damn thing is 345 FPS with the Plastic BB's!!!  I mean that thing Is POWERFUL!  I, like a dumb a$$, propped a cardboard box up against a plastic sprinkler pipe, and the first shot went thru the box and Cracked the 1/2" sprinkler pipe, and I had Water Blowin Everywhere!!  And, the Blowback on the thing was a lot more powerful than I was expecting!!! The Plastic BB's are also bio degradable.  It's alot of just plain Fun.  I get 4-5 15 shot magazines out of one Gas cartridges. 

image.png.20d07d64f27e1fb8d7499490a7469343.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, crockett said:

Nope. Its the same with electric cars, they don't get me going. No passion. On top of that, I'm a reloader, and "reloading" air doesn't cut it.

I do own a cheap Wal Mart pallet rifle. That damn Mockingbird ticking off every night at 2 AM sharp is asking for it! It's either that, or I'm going to burn down the entire tree!

LOL,finding things to reload with here is unpossible now.  I would rather stick with center fire, but sometimes we have to adjust. The small caliber rifles are a lot of fun, but if you have to spend the $$ to buy in to the PCP, then go for something that is the most useful.

I'm with you on electric cars. It takes 4X the energy to charge a battery than it produces on average. Not exactly frugal.I have to admit the electric motors do make for some serious speed and things are getting better for the battery life. Still not there and nothing beats the sound of a well tuned combustion engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

That's a nice BB gun. Is it Gas cartridge operated?  I've got the old Daisy Pump BB gun.  That thing is about 350 FPS, but them Steel BB's ain't good for just Plinkin round the house. least in my hood.

image.png.d18959ebf49b40db4521ef44d1371659.png

Picked me up this Air Soft Pistol a few days ago, and That Damn thing is 345 FPS with the Plastic BB's!!!  I mean that thing Is POWERFUL!  I, like a dumb a$$, propped a cardboard box up against a plastic sprinkler pipe, and the first shot went thru the box and Cracked the 1/2" sprinkler pipe, and I had Water Blowin Everywhere!!  And, the Blowback on the thing was a lot more powerful than I was expecting!!! The Plastic BB's are also bio degradable.  It's alot of just plain Fun.  I get 4-5 15 shot magazines out of one Gas cartridges. 

image.png.20d07d64f27e1fb8d7499490a7469343.png

It's gas operated.  I get three or four mags of 25 bbs per co2 cylinder.  I have a range setup in my garage.  Sometimes I get a bb stuck in the tread of my cars tire from running them over.  You can hear them clicking as I drive down the road for a while until they get thrown out of the tread.  I want to try switching to airsoft eventually. I really enjoy shooting a couple of mags when I get home everyday.  If I had airsoft I could setup a range in my basement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparks said:

It's gas operated.  I get three or four mags of 25 bbs per co2 cylinder.  I have a range setup in my garage.  Sometimes I get a bb stuck in the tread of my cars tire from running them over.  You can hear them clicking as I drive down the road for a while until they get thrown out of the tread.  I want to try switching to airsoft eventually. I really enjoy shooting a couple of mags when I get home everyday.  If I had airsoft I could setup a range in my basement.

Cool.  That one I got is about $124 on Amazon.  Make sure ya check the FPS and it's an ALL Metal gun, not just the Frame Metal.  Generally I've found, the ones that are under 100 bucks aren't worth the time.  Hope ya find a good one!!

• Like 3

On 12/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, Maser said:

Here's me over a decade ago with my Diana pistol.  Please no comments about the gloves.  ;)

Those were nice little pistols.

And I will respect your wishes and not comment on the glove, but I do have to ask if there is a matching knit hat with a fluffy ball on top? ?

• Haha 1

I still have my dads .177 single shot pump bolt action.  He had it as a child in the late 1930's early 1940's  I'm pretty sure he put some rabbits and squirrels on the table.  They didn't have much money..

I need to replace the leather on the piston one day.. 

• Thanks 1

If I'm not mistaken, Lewis and Clark took a pre-charged  pneumatic hunting rifle with them on their big expedition.

I own one PCP pellet gun (an Airforce Talon).  I have barrels for it in either .177 or .22.  It's not the big caliber gun that LostInTexas is looking for, but I can at least talk about my gun's features.   I have a floor pump that I can use to refill my tank (and it is a workout to fill it).  People adapt scuba tanks for this purpose, but I'm not the person to ask about that.

I have an extra tank (and an adapter) that utilize Co2.  The Co2 charge is not as powerful, but I can get it refilled where people buy paintball supplies.

I have on a couple of occasions taken my Talon to a shooting range and it is notable, that with it's cheap fiber optic sights, I can out shoot my scoped Ruger 10/22 at 25 yards.  That one surprised me.

The other surprise was how loud the gun is (even with its barrel shroud).

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/AirForce_Talon_SS_PCP_Air_Rifle_Spin_Loc_Tank/135

PY-135_AirForce-Talon-SS-PCP_1473364120.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

For my garage, I have a Crossman 2300S target pistol.  Like the Talon, it has a Lothar Walther barrel and is a surprising tack driver.  I can get about 80 shots out of one Co2 cartridge and it is cheap to shoot which increases the fun factor.  I shoot it into a trap which was designed to handle .22 long rifle, so other than the annoying 'clank' when I shoot it, it is pretty innocuous.  My neighbors probably think I am hammering on a piece of metal.  :dunno:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_2300S/928

PY-928_Crosman-2300S_1485893660.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

If I'm not mistaken, Lewis and Clark took a pre-charged  pneumatic hunting rifle with them on their big expedition.

I own one PCP pellet gun (an Airforce Talon).  I have barrels for it in either .177 or .22.  It's not the big caliber gun that LostInTexas is looking for, but I can at least talk about my gun's features.   I have a floor pump that I can use to refill my tank (and it is a workout to fill it).  People adapt scuba tanks for this purpose, but I'm not the person to ask about that.

I have an extra tank (and an adapter) that utilize Co2.  The Co2 charge is not as powerful, but I can get it refilled where people buy paintball supplies.

I have on a couple of occasions taken my Talon to a shooting range and it is notable, that with it's cheap fiber optic sights, I can out shoot my scoped Ruger 10/22 at 25 yards.  That one surprised me.

The other surprise was how loud the gun is (even with its barrel shroud).

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/AirForce_Talon_SS_PCP_Air_Rifle_Spin_Loc_Tank/135

PY-135_AirForce-Talon-SS-PCP_1473364120.

571 to 854!!  Now THAT's some Serious FPS!!!  No wonder it's closin in on $700 Bucks!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another pellet rifle that I own is an RWS Diana 48.  Its 'springer' design utilizes a spring activated piston to propel a .177 diameter pellet.  It is not quiet which means about the only place this city boy can shoot it (without getting swatted) is at the local shooting range.  The big negative on a spring actuated rifle is that the action of the spring makes the gun move and throws your aim off a bit.  I imagine that it isn't a big deal shooting offhand, but shooting it from a rest, I do not get near the accuracy that I do from my Airforce Talon.  If you don't mind cocking it, the gun is an absolute blast to shoot.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_Model_48_Sidelever_Action_Spring_Piston_Air_Rifle/403

PY-403_Diana-RWS-48-Air_1550700857.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

571 to 854!!  Now THAT's some Serious FPS!!!  No wonder it's closin in on $700 Bucks!!

The RWS Diana 48 is rated at 1,100 fps so you can get there much cheaper with a 'springer.'

I've played with the wheel on my Talon and I haven't noticed any change in either the number of shots or the apparent fps.  :dunno:

And, yes, I definitely splurged to get the Talon.  But, some of the comments at the range almost make it worth it.  They remind me of Chauncey and Edgar from Rocky and Bullwinkle: "Now there's something that you don't see everyday."  "I'll say.  It's got a big can where the stock's supposed to be."  "It looks like one of them Buck Rogers guns." 

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I've also got a German Beeman R7 in .177 Pellet.  It's pretty old, got it from my Uncle after he passed.  Seems to be pretty accurate for a cock spring.  Got a good scope on it, and sited it in with a  bore site.  It's within the red most of the time at 30 yards.

Beeman R7 Elite Series Combo | Spring-piston Air Rifle | Airgun Depot

A friend of mine picked up one of the lower end Beeman's (about $150).  it was a very impressive air rifle.  I imagine the one you have is a bit of a tack driver.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1