I Broke The Site, But Just A Little

Eric

• Administrators

Sorry about that.  I am trying to upgrade the site before the move and the current software really did not like the upgraded theme. So, back to the drawing boards. Everything should be back to normal now. Please let me know if anything is still broken. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

“I broke the site, but the site won...”

The site, never, ever wins. I would crawl through a mile of broken glass to beat the server and I would do so out of pure, cussed spite. I live to spit on the broken bodies of tech problems. I am stubborn as hell and that makes me mighty. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

The site, never, ever wins. I would crawl through a mile of broken glass to beat the server and I would do so out of pure, cussed spite. I live to spit on the broken bodies of tech problems. I am stubborn as hell and that makes me mighty. 

Computer, either you open this door proto, or I'll Reprogram your memory banks with an axe.  - Zephod Beeblebrox threatening the Heart of Gold

Thats it.  Hand me the axe!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Do our children know just how comediacly   immature we are when they're not looking? 

To be perfectly honest, Yes.  My kids know that I am the weirdest one of the group, but it's even funnier, since all the Grand kids and Great Grand kids seem to really like me.  They laugh with me, and at their parents rolling eyeballs all the time.

I just sent my oldest daughter the post about, "no you are not adopted, if you were I wouldn't choose you!".  She got a good laugh out of that one.

• Like 4

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

Nope!  Looks fine.  I was just wondering what you thought of GT's new XenForo  format?  Why do you suppose they migrated to that?

GT has been using XenForo since May of 2015. This upgrade of theirs was thematic. To answer your question though, at first glance, I don’t like it. That look is the Windows 10 of firearms sites. They’ve sanded off all the sharp corners. It just looks bland and easily digestible. 

I really don’t like the fact that they make a production of saying the site is based in Michigan, when it is owned by a Canadian company. It seems disingenuous to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

GT has been using XenForo since May of 2015. This upgrade of theirs was thematic. To answer your question though, at first glance, I don’t like it. That look is the Windows 10 of firearms sites. They’ve sanded off all the sharp corners. It just looks bland and easily digestible. 

I really don’t like the fact that they make a production of saying the site is based in Michigan, when it is owned by a Canadian company. It seems disingenuous to me. 

I really did not like it as delivered but it is okay if you go to dark mode and card view.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Probably all about taxes... maybe.

Few years ago Burger King bought Tim Horton or some other fast food coffee shop headquartered in Canada, then merged itself into the Canadian operation it had just purchased.

Why?

United States taxes worldwide income of companies headquartered Stateside. At that time Canada taxed only earnings from Canada. For a company earning almost all its profits in the States not a big deal. The bigger the percentage of profits earned outside the States the bigger the deal is.

Walgreens was considering a similar deal for a similar reason with a European company but backed away. If a large percent of your Stateside profit is generated by Medicare and Medicaid avoiding some United States income tax by moving headquarters out of the country could backfire.