Do you still have your old uniforms?

gwalchmai

I was cleaning out my mom's attic and found a box with a couple of Class A USAF coats I put up there in 1981. My wife says they're heirlooms and I say we hated 'em then and I want to donate 'em. They still fit. Kinda. Sorta.

How bout y'all? I know everyone keeps fatigues and field jackets, but Class As?

s-l1600.jpg

class-a.jpg

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 2

Just now, gwalchmai said:

I was cleaning out my mom's attic and found a box with a couple of Class A USAF coats I put up there in 1981. My wife says they're heirlooms and I say we hated 'em then and I want to donate 'em. They still fit. Kinda. Sorta.

How bout y'all? I know everyone keeps fatigues and field jackets, but Class As?

All mine suddenly dissappeared after I got home.

Later on, my daughters fought over my Black Silk Neckerchiefs (Navy).

I priced them recently and they were almost $40.  I'll use my ties,  she won't know the difference.

3 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I just don't know what to say. We didn't have anything like these.

"United States Air Force Heritage of America Band: Celtic Ensemble in official Active Duty (non-Reservist) tartan kilts."

Actually.  I have a little bit of history on this.   For some reason post world war two starting in the 1950s this became a thing in the Air Force Music program.     It started in the 1950s.

The only reason i know this is because i knew someone deeply involved with American Military music.  We're talking a 32 year vet. of the field.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coats.  I sincerely believe that Navy Pea Coats were the worst things to wear if you got cold.  Not much different than a Blazer.

However, on my ship the deck crew had the most wonderful Wolf fur Parkas you ever saw, for "foul weather gear".  They must have cost a fortune.

2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

However, on my ship the deck crew had the most wonderful Wolf fur Parkas you ever saw, for "foul weather gear".  They must have cost a fortune.

I was a missile tech in Montana and the genuine coyote fur parkas were being phased out when I arrived. They were still issued to some lucky guys and were prime bartering fare among those of us in the field. The synthetic fur models were warm, too, but not as cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These were sought after:

image.jpeg.6d3afa0aa9172a8b45ac3f4f91d564de.jpeg

My friend Willy used to wear one of these "split hood" models, with bunny boots. Totally unauthorized, but Willy ("That's SGT Winifred J. Jackson, Brooklyn, NYC, USA!") was very black and very loud, so they left him alone. :supergrin:

image.jpeg.5cf9497cd033a370941beb79735b911d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Coats.  I sincerely believe that Navy Pea Coats were the worst things to wear if you got cold.  Not much different than a Blazer.

I’ve still got my Class A’s. And Janice, your right. The gear we had on deck was pretty legit. Unfortunately we needed it a few too many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Historian said:

Somehow, i have seen this patch.

It's cold in a silo, i guess.

Minuteman silos (LFs) were kept at a constant ~70 degrees F. Inside.

Getting into them (site penetration) took a couple of hours in weather. My first winter, 77, set records for cold, as did the next two, IIRC. I remember a -50 wind chill. "Work for ten minutes, warm up in the truck for 10 minutes". Good times. :supergrin:

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Historian said:

Somehow, i have seen this patch.

It's cold in a silo, i guess.

Colder than a witch's teat down there. The N2O4 oxidizer in the missile had a boiling point of 70 degrees F. It was kept about 66 to keep the stuff from boiling and raising pressure that could rupture the tank. The floors were all linoleum tile. 

As below, I will admit to wearing slippers, but I won't admit to ever wearing PJ's.

:crylikeender:

• Like 1

Most of my military uniforms were in two sea bags. They were stolen from a storage facility years ago. I kept my BFK and my uniform jewelry box with me and still have them.

My cop uniform trousers were donated to a thrift store. The shirts were burned. The rest of the gear was given away.

I still have my Fed raid jacket, my desk name plate, and some other knick knacks that are stowed away. 

• Thanks 1

Found it. From L-R, 300 alerts under N. Arkansas, Squadron patch, the blue dickie represents a Highly Qualified ( HQ ) crew with the pin saying 9 HQ checks and the 8th AF Master Crew for passing a SAC IG with a HQ check and , of course, the pocket rocket on the left pocket and SAC patch on the right pocket.

IMG_1764_6.thumb.jpg.1defa5a96001cd36aa5f699457edd90c.jpg

• Like 2