Do you still have your old uniforms?

gwalchmai

5 hours ago, tadbart said:

I've got one old starchy polyester EMS uniform shirt and a traffic vest in the back of my closet. Has to have been in there for 20 years. Sleeves are still creased perfectly.

I took a cold weather survival course from a crusty old E-7 bastard distinguished senior NCO once. One day he said "At some point you'll need to make a fire. Take your knife (all you girls DO have a sharp knife, right) and shave a little pile of fuzz off your fatigues to get some tinder. Of course, some of you 35-10 lovin' sons-o-bitches will just get a pile of starch. But the world also needs bad examples".

AFR 35-10 defined grooming and dress standards.

Another trick he taught was that in an emergency you could pull the back seat out of our maintenance truck and use it to start a survival fire. Sure enough, one crew ran out of gas and within an hour had their seat burning on the side of the road a mile from civilization. :abovelol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've still got my Cub (?) Scouts hat and belt.  I think they've got a snarling wolf face on them.

But I was in the Scouts in England.  Little city hoodlums didn't get any outdoor training.

About the only thing I remember learning,  was how to puncture the top of a CO2 cartridge with a nail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got out in 1984. Over the intervening 36 years everything slowly disappeared. The last to go was my treasured Von Steuben ball cap which my brother ‘borrowed’ and lost. Still wish I had that hat back.

None of the other stuff would fit as I went from a 38 chest to a 44. Luckily my waist is still a 32 all these years later.