What milsurp have you always lusted after?

Valmet

I grew up with guns but didn't get into them hard until I was in HS in the late-1990s and while I have a varied interest in them, it really started with milsurps. My first two were an Arlington/Blue Sky M1 Garand that cost me $400 and a 1916 Enfield SMLE that cost $90 I found in the Gun List. 

However, 20+ years later I still lust for a Ross Mk III, thanks to HW McBride's "A Rifleman Went to War." The MK IIs are fairly common and while neat, they aren't what he carried in the book. 

What milsurps have you guys been after awhile? 

• Like 2

Short answer is a Model 98 Mauser and a 1911.

A friend of mine was into military collectables when we were in High School.   He bought a WWI helmet from a catalog and the liner had been replaced with a band from a construction helmet.  He didn't want it because it was not original.  So, he says, "I'm going to take this up to Gypsy's Camp and shoot it with my Model 98 and my 1911 after school.  Want to come?"

Hell yes!!   The 1911 put sizable dents in the helmet, but the 7.92X57 Mauser propelling a 181 grain bullet traveling at 2,700 feet per second didn't really need to flex its 2900 foot pounds of energy to punch an entry hole in one side and a massive exit hole on the other.  Boy, did we wish we'd had a watermelon to put in between.  Try doing that in the S.F. Bay Area today and you'll meet your friendly neighborhood SWAT team. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92×57mm_Mauser

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_98

And, back when you could pick up a surplus .303 Enfield for $35, did I?  No.  That is a very fine weapon indeed.  It would probably be my preference over the Model 98.

Like they say, "In WWI

The Americans fought with a hunting rifle

The Germans fought with a sniper rifle

and the Brits fought with a combat rifle."

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Historian said:

1903 Springfield would do it.  Made about 1918ish to 1919.  A war rifle.

1942-45 1911...would send chills down my spine.

Crazy thing is:  These are not hard things to make happen.

My father taught me how to shoot with a 1903, don't know who made it.  We had two.  They were supposed to be military training rifles in .22 long (or long rifle).  They had a little magazine that loaded from the bottom.

I spent many hours with that before he let me have a .22 of my own.  Have no idea what became of them both.

Then my personal rifle was a Model 74 Winchester that he found under the back seat of a used car he bought.  It may have been from a "shooting gallery" cause it was chambered in .22 short.  I loved that rifle!

• Like 2

Janice- could you be thinking of the M2 or 1922 Springfield? They were in a sporter config but we're essentially 1903s with detachable magazines in .22LR. Pretty collectible these days. 

IIRC Savage mfg'd some 22s that were stocked similarly to 1903s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Valmet said:

Janice- could you be thinking of the M2 or 1922 Springfield? They were in a sporter config but we're essentially 1903s with detachable magazines in .22LR. Pretty collectible these days. 

IIRC Savage mfg'd some 22s that were stocked similarly to 1903s. 

It is possible.  I was struck with the resemblance to the military rifle and my father said they were  military "trainer rifles".  However, I never had any confirmation of what I was told.  and I was young at that time.

I was always curious as to why the stock went almost all the way to the muzzle.  Except for the swivel I couldn't see any reason for it.

The 1922 sounds like it but the stock on the pictures I saw was way too short.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 2:59 PM, Batesmotel said:

Martini. If I could rely on getting good ammo. 

There were Martini-henry's made in 303 British. I would have liked to have one of those. I also wouldn't have had trouble reloading for 577 snider back in the day when I used to cast my own bullets. The 577 used a .590 diameter bullet weighing about 450 Grains. The 450/577 was also not that hard to reload for and there's a lot of data out there, but I like the idea of a 58 caliber a little better.

There were also some very nice small frame Martini's made in a number of small calibers including 22 LR.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

My first Milsurps were a Garand and a 1911 that my dad gave me when I was  12.

I soon followed with a 1903A3, a .303 No.4 Mk1* and an M-1 carbine.

But the gun I always lusted after was the Brit .55 cal. Boyes

Edited by Cheygriz
  • Like 1

Love those ex military rifles. Had some, but sold most of them. Usually forced by the circumstances. Life. I still have the minty Mosin Nagant. I invested a lot of love, time and knowledge into the rifle. I would like to believe that now it's the way it was supposed to be. No rough surfaces where it counts. This thing is now as smooth as a well manufactured Mauser. Never malfunctioned on me. Whoever tries this thing...is like...wow! I think I love this boomstick a lot. Made in 1943 when the battle of Stalingrad raged. I want to think that this rifle put down a Nazi or two. I want No4 Mk1 now. Minty preferably.

• Like 1