Valkyrie

Eric

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I WANT to love it. AML makes some beautiful cars.

This is not one of them. It looks like a space ship, it sounds whiny and electric, and there's no way my big ol carcass could ever wedge into one.

Dude, that is a naturally-aspirated 6.5 liter V-12 making 1,000hp. It is badass. The engine/transaxle is a stressed member and provides the structure for the rear half of the car. It supports the rear body and the suspension is attached to it. It is an amazing piece of engineering. A 6.5L motor producing that much power naturally-aspirated that revs to 11,000rpm and provides a backbone to the car impresses the hell out of me. And the car only weighs 2,300lbs or so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Eric said:

Dude, that is a naturally-aspirated 6.5 liter V-12 making 1,000hp. It is badass. The engine/transaxle is a stressed member and provides the structure for the rear half of the car. It supports the rear body and the suspension is attached to it. It is an amazing piece of engineering. A 6.5L motor producing that much power naturally-aspirated that revs to 11,000rpm and provides a backbone to the car impresses the hell out of me. And the car only weighs 2,300lbs or so.

Very impressive.  But, why doesn't it have da boost?

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Very impressive.  But, why doesn't it have da boost?

The designers wanted no lag on acceleration and they wanted the car to be able to make good power at lower rpm’s. I’m sure they had other reasons as well.  Here is a good article on the subject.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a26061746/aston-martin-valkyrie-cosworth-v-12/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Yeah but how many cup holders? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Historian said:

I could drive it for about 10 seconds before badness would happen.

Man's got to know his limitations.

It would be a glorious ten seconds though. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

It would be a glorious ten seconds though. 

Many, many years ago.   We arrested a guy driving (and i am not kidding) a Dodge Viper.   My shift LT.  looked at me and said, "Drive it to the impound lot."

You just were not going to leave that glorious car on the side of the road.  A tow was at least an hour out.

It took me an hour to find that lot...and it was only 5 miles away.  Someone should have taken a picture of the cop driving the viper.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Historian said:

Many, many years ago.   We arrested a guy driving (and i am not kidding) a Dodge Viper.   My shift LT.  looked at me and said, "Drive it to the impound lot."

You just were not going to leave that glorious car on the side of the road.

It took me an hour to find that lot...and it was only 5 miles away.  Someone should have taken a picture of the cop driving the viper.

Back in early 2010, I was on Hwy 93, headed for Phoenix. Hwy 93 is a two lane asphalt road that got fairly indifferent maintenance. I was driving my C5 Corvette FRC. Those were the days.

I was doing 90mph or so, in the middle of nowhere, when a Viper overtook me rapidly. He pulled next to me in the oncoming lane and made it clear that he wanted to play. So, I floored it. I was staying close to him doing 140mph or so when I hit a small bump in the road. That was when I learned a vital difference between a C5 Corvette and a C6: Variable Ratio Steering.

That little bump bump-steered me instantly onto the shoulder. After I got over the shock of that, it occurred to me that if I hit another bump just right, the next lane would be the desert. I slowed down and let the Viper claim his victory. 

This is the Vette I was driving. I miss that car.

image.jpeg.910bae8c7553517695b2eb5860ef84f3.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Historian said:

Someone should have taken a picture of the cop driving the viper.

ohhsnap.thumb.jpg.599687f5c1e801b0a1d4b203553c3bca.jpg

(Detroit)  The license plate says "OHHHSNAP"

(I was worried that I'd run into him from behind, in stop and go traffic, while trying to take that picture.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1