HIGH SCHOOL 1957 vs. 2020

pipedreams

HIGH SCHOOL 1957 vs. 2020

Scenario 1:

Jack goes duck hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2020- School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2020 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled - even though Johnny started it .

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2020 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2020 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse , Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being spanked herself , and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair w ith the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock .

2020 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2020 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state.Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2020 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee . He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2020 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5years of therapy.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

Scenario 9:

1957 - both Johnny and Mark vying for a date with Betty Lu. 

2020 - both Johnny and Mark get it on with Mrs. Robinson the math teacher.  At the same time. 

Johnnie and Mark are both transitioning to another gender. Both are being raised by single mothers who are relying on the govt for everything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Johnnie and Mark are both transitioning to another gender. Both are being raised by single mothers who are relying on the govt for everything.

Johnnie and Mark became Jane and Mackenna, and both slept with Ms. Kristine Gonzales the volleyball coach who two years ago was Mr. Chris Gonzales.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Maser said:

Boomers....

I'm curious if you've ever been in a fist fight in your life?

Or even thrown a punch, or had a punch thrown at you?

Not attacking you, I just don't understand your post of "Boomers....".

My niece was born in 1989, as were you (per your profile) and she would feel the same as many of the older posters in this thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eruby said:

I'm curious if you've ever been in a fist fight in your life?

Or even thrown a punch, or had a punch thrown at you?

Not attacking you, I just don't understand your post of "Boomers....".

My niece was born in 1989, as were you (per your profile) and she would feel the same as many of the older posters in this thread.

I was an amateur boxer when I was a teenager. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eruby said:

Can you explain your "Boomers..." post?

I apologize for my ignorance.

Contrary to what most people may think, I have been poking fun at boomers since before the autistic "ok boomer" meme was even a thing.  For me it's just harmless banter, but it exposes boomers who are closet snowflakes.  Boomers had no problem poking fun at my fellow millennials and yet we had to take it and not fire back.  Now we fire back and lots of boomers don't like when the tables are turned.  There's really not much else to say about it.  

11 minutes ago, Maser said:

Contrary to what most people may think, I have been poking fun at boomers since before the autistic "ok boomer" meme was even a thing.  For me it's just harmless banter, but it exposes boomers who are closet snowflakes.  Boomers had no problem poking fun at my fellow millennials and yet we had to take it and not fire back.  Now we fire back and lots of boomers don't like when the tables are turned.  There's really not much else to say about it.  

Except you really didn't say anything. While the examples in the OP are a bit extreme, they are not far off the mark. Things are much different now than when I was in elementary/high school (yes, EVERY generation can say that), and IMO, for the worse.

The things we did when I played rugby in college would not only disqualify me for a SCOTUS appointment, would likely land me in jail.  Not because they were criminal, but because the world is much mor PC now than ever.  And to be clear, I, myself, never infringed on the rights of any female (a criminal offense today for saying that ?).

I see where you posted all drugs should be legal. The libertarian in me agrees with that, as long as users don't infringe on anyone.

I don't see where anyone in this thread made sport of millenials (sp?), but you obviously did.

I wish you well good sir, and give my word to all I will not respond again in this post.

16 minutes ago, eruby said:

Except you really didn't say anything. While the examples in the OP are a bit extreme, they are not far off the mark. Things are much different now than when I was in elementary/high school (yes, EVERY generation can say that), and IMO, for the worse.

The things we did when I played rugby in college would not only disqualify me for a SCOTUS appointment, would likely land me in jail.  Not because they were criminal, but because the world is much mor PC now than ever.  And to be clear, I, myself, never infringed on the rights of any female (a criminal offense today for saying that ?).

I see where you posted all drugs should be legal. The libertarian in me agrees with that, as long as users don't infringe on anyone.

I don't see where anyone in this thread made sport of millenials (sp?), but you obviously did.

I wish you well good sir, and give my word to all I will not respond again in this post.

Well, as a Libertarian myself, I want EVERYONE to be able to speak their mind regardless if it's a popular opinion or not.  I don't exactly class myself as a contrarian because I feel those people just disagree for the sake of disagreeing.  Putting jokes and humor regarding boomers aside for a moment, I will address the one unfunny problem I have with boomers.  My problem with them is they're full of crap when it comes to talking about generations past and present.  No generation is better or worse than other generations, they're just different.  One of the big all time lies is how the silent generation is referred to as the "greatest generation".  Really?  Kids dying of polio and white men going to jail for dating a hot black chick was a great thing?  Or how about we go way back into Biblical times when it was totally accepted for middle aged men to have sex with 12 year old girls. 

We are living in awesome times right now technologically speaking.  We carry a device with us at all times that has the answer to any question we may have and what do we do instead?  We bitch and moan how great things used to be and not enjoy how great things are now.  Sure we've gotten a lot more PC, but we will adapt to it like we have adapted to other things in the past. 

I know the OP was meant just to be silly and funny and yeah, I laughed to myself when I first read it.  I just feel if boomers spent as much time enjoying the present as they do in reminiscing the past, they would be much happier and not so angry all the time.  As far as the zoomer generation goes which is what my kids are, it is kinda weird that that generation has no idea what life was like without internet.  Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for debate, but it's just an interesting observation. 

What the young'uns forget is that we, the Baby Boomers that you find so easy to dismiss, built the world that you are so comfortable in, just as the Greatest Generation build the world that we were comfortable in.

Like the young'uns, we had our sports heroes, move heroes, the rock stars we looked up to and tried to emulate.

And we scoffed at our parent's heroes, just as some do to ours today.

We had our own lingo and I confess, I don't understand half of what young people say these days, but I do enjoy talking with them.

They are bright, ambitious, driven to make things better just as we were 50 years ago and like us old geezers, they will do it.

We are not a bunch of old, close-minded curmudgeons that steal your money for our Social Security and Medicare, just as we don't consider you a bunch of whining, clueless, pansies that won't get off of the couch.

That some of us have a hard time understanding you, that passing the torch is never easy for some, we expect your generations to make the world a better place.

We don't expect thanks or gratitude, we just demand that you don't screw it up; just as our parents demanded of us.

Oh, and keep paying into Social Security..  :biggrin:

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I went to a military all boys Catholic high school back in  the 80's. There was an indoor range. I won a medal for small bore rifle.

I brought handguns to school for show and tell one day. I'm guessing you can't do that for show and tell these days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Duluth said:

I went to a military all boys Catholic high school back in  the 80's. There was an indoor range. I won a medal for small bore rifle.

I brought handguns to school for show and tell one day. I'm guessing you can't do that for show and tell these days.

Nope.  Teachers are afraid of their own shadows.

• Like 2