Anybody Want To See A Rocket Blow Up Saturday AM ?

willie-pete

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/01/14/spacex-will-intentionally-destroy-a-rocket-this-weekend-heres-how-you-can-watch/

What to expect: SpaceX will launch the Falcon 9 with the Crew Dragon capsule from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. Sometime after liftoff, but before 1 minute 30 seconds into the launch, SpaceX will intentionally trigger a problem with the rocket over the Atlantic Ocean. That event will trigger the Crew Dragon spacecraft to perform a launch escape. The spacecraft will use its SuperDraco thrusters to send the capsule away from the rocket and use parachutes to land in the Atlantic Ocean.

The rocket will likely be destroyed during the test. "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maser said:

Tax money well spent? 

31 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Don't know the details but SpaceX is a private company. IDK if .gov is directly paying for this or not.

SpaceX is paying its own way. Showing crew surivability

they are counting on a government contract to service NASA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm scheduled to get off of work in Leesburg, FL at 0700. No way I can navigate to the east coast in an hour, especially THAT hour. I think my best bet is to haul ass down Hwy 27 to Clermont and view it from one of the big hills down there.

But if I get off work early, I'll be in Titusville for this one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Love this video.  Reminds me that i never had to explain to my boss i dropped a NOAA weather sat.

How about the guy/s that doomed a whole  Mars mission because they didn't convert between the metric  and the English  units!

• Like 1

Spoiler

There have been some epic fckups that ended in large explosions. We are probably lucky that it has only ended 17 brave American Astronaut lives (yeah, I'm counting Ilan and Kalpana).

Hopefully, we are building on former mistakes. It will be spectacular to see a rocket explode that was destined to do so- to advance the science of keeping our Astronauts safe. @willie-pete I hope you have a spectacular view. Please take pics if you can. I'll try to do the same.

• Like 2