My 88 4x4 Ranger...Ouch..

DrB

Brakes went out.  Having everything related to brakes replaced front to back including all new lines.  Front end was loose so ball joints, tie rods and whatever.  Then I had them look for a gas leak, damn  need new gas tank.  Ok as long as they have the tank out, new fuel pump, sending unit.  Then when I am in there dropping off another 1k I decide as long at it has to be aligned new shocks front and back and new tires.

My money pit but I love the truck.  It was my mom's. So is my money pit.  Next summer probably some body work and paint. 

The shop it's at they work on old cars and trucks and only a few miles from me.  So looks like somewhere north of 4k when I get done.  I just told them I want everything mechanical that it needs..do it.  

I'll cry when I get the bill but so be it..  My money pit....  Dave..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MDLOTT said:

New Rangers are 45k. Sounds like a bargain to me.

That's what I am figuring also, thanks.  The interior is like new and it's a manual 5 speed, 4x4 with the lock out hubs, V6 engine, extended cab.  It's going to be a keeper.  When I get it back I will get historical plates put on it.

What's a Ranger 4x4 extended cab going for?  Is 45k the going price for a 4x4 extended cab. Do they even offer a manual transmission?   Just curious.

Dave..

• Like 2

As long as it isn't rusting out, replacing the mechanical parts that are worn makes sense.  There were a lot of those trucks built, and a lot of them still on the road, so there will be plenty of reasonably priced parts on the market for years to come.  If you wanted to you could easily do all the work yourself given the tools, time, and space to work on it.

I'm not a fan of modern cars where everything it electronic and everything is tied together, so if one thing gets out of spec (not even anywhere near failing, just out of spec) then the car won't leave you alone about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to do more of the work but I do not have a lift and crawling on the ground under it at my age is not going to cut it.  I know my limitations and at 67 that is not going to happen. 

It needs some minor body work and that is next.  My plan for this truck is to be able to drive it to some local car shows.  I can't afford the big time money cars and trucks but this is my truck and will do just fine for me.

Dave..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrB said:

Brakes went out.  Having everything related to brakes replaced front to back including all new lines.  Front end was loose so ball joints, tie rods and whatever.  Then I had them look for a gas leak, damn  need new gas tank.  Ok as long as they have the tank out, new fuel pump, sending unit.  Then when I am in there dropping off another 1k I decide as long at it has to be aligned new shocks front and back and new tires.

My money pit but I love the truck.  It was my mom's. So is my money pit.  Next summer probably some body work and paint. 

The shop it's at they work on old cars and trucks and only a few miles from me.  So looks like somewhere north of 4k when I get done.  I just told them I want everything mechanical that it needs..do it.  

Some things are so important to you, that you have to do them and simply hold on.   In some fashion or another, we all do it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrB said:

Just thought about the exhaust system.  They did not use stainless steel back then..  More money down the pit I am thinking..

Dave..

you can get a complete walker system for about $115 from rockauto and an Exhaust shop will thank you..

most of that stuff sounds like replaceable stuff wear and tear and just old metal.

still best to go with the car you know..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well the "Money Pit" is back home.  The list of the things that needed to be done for the brakes, suspension, gas tank and the associated crappola filled up a page.  5K plus change and it's home.   Also had new tires put on it as it needed alignment from the front end work.

They brought it home on a flatbed tow truck and did not charge me for that.  Where the work was done, the owner has a bunch of classic vehicles so it was in good hands.  Next winter it will be going in for body work and getting the frame cleaned up as they do that also.

It's a toy to throw money at.  Was my moms truck.  She is still alive and excited to see...  She is 90 years old so I am more than happy to do this.

Dave...

Edited by DrB
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, DrB said:

Well the "Money Pit" is back home.  The list of the things that needed to be done for the brakes, suspension, gas tank and the associated crappola filled up a page.  5K plus change and it's home.   Also had new tires put on it as it needed alignment from the front end work.

They brought it home on a flatbed tow truck and did not charge me for that.  Where the work was done, the owner has a bunch of classic vehicles so it was in good hands.  Next winter it will be going in for body work and getting the frame cleaned up as they do that also.

It's a toy to through money at.  Was my moms truck.  She is still alive and excited to see...  She is 90 years old so I am more than happy to do this.

Dave...

Your mom raised a good boy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Vehicles that old are going to cost.

Sounds like you think it is worth it, so go with it!

Yep I do love that truck.  V6, 5 speed manual, 4x4 lock out hubs, engine was replaced years ago, interior is perfect. Now it has all new brake system front to back.  Front end suspension pretty much all replaced   New gas tank, fuel pump..  New shocks, AT tires plus some misc. stuff. 

Before that I had the front steering gear replaced and I put on a new power steering pump and hoses.  I can do some of the work but nothing underneath at my age.  I don't lave a lift..

Dave

On 1/12/2020 at 6:06 PM, holyjohnson said:

you can get a complete walker system for about $115 from rockauto and an Exhaust shop will thank you..

most of that stuff sounds like replaceable stuff wear and tear and just old metal.

still best to go with the car you know..

I am not an exhaust snob but Walker is junk.  Not stainless and they do not mandrel bend and they are not afraid to bend the crap out of it.  There are cheap, better options on RockAuto.

Edited by RenoF250
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:51 AM, DrB said:

still cheaper than a girlfriend.

• Haha 4