How warm is it where you are today

DrB

10 hours ago, deputy tom said:

Pittsburgh was called the Smokey City for decades. tom. :cowboy2:

Ohio had the Cuyahoga River catch fire in June 1969...   Down by the Republic Steel Mill.  The good old days.

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrB said:

Ohio had the Cuyahoga River catch fire in June 1969...   Down by the Republic Steel Mill.  The good old days.

Dave..

so did:  Rouge River, Detroit, United States, Buffalo River, Buffalo, United States, Schuylkill River, Philadelphia, United States, Cuyahoga River, Cleveland, United States.

Apparently water is flammable in the states governed by the "Cooler" kids.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/is-the-cuyahoga-river-the-only-river-to-ever-catch-on-fire.html

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DrB said:

January 10th. and it is 52 deg here in North Coast Ohio.  I'm loving this winter weather.  I still have a few more tires to throw on the burn pile.

Dave..

62 deg here now.  I need some more tires to throw on the pile.

Dave..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I built my wood stove. It is a piece of pipe from an oil platform. 44" long by 30" diameter. The walls are 5/8" thickness, the ends and door are 3/8" thick. It is fire brick lined on the bottom, back and half way up the sides. I don't have to really put a ton of wood in it. It heats up slow, but really holds the heat nicely, and also gives off a steady heat. No huge spikes up and down in temperature. It is in my basement close to the man door to the garage. It is capable of heating the 2 story 4 bedroom house and the 3 car garage if I leave the door open to the garage. (I usually don't) Garage has it's own Modine natural gas heater. We have been getting double digit low temperatures for a few weeks now. It is supposed to warm all the way up to zero (haha) or a little above for a few days, then back into the deep freeze again. Weather like this will let you know if your vehicle isn't at 100% in any way. Also you will learn whether your water supply line is buried deep enough (10' for me) Hope you didn't leave a garden hose attached to your 'frostless hose bib, cause if you did you will discover burst pipes when you open the valve in the spring. Alaska isn't for *******. BTW it is stunningly gorgeous outside. Blue skies, sunshine, trees holding so much frost, looking through the forest is almost like when the trees are leafed out. Not a hint of a breeze. I have a ton of Ravens visiting my yard. I'm tossing bread out for them. Moose have been wandering through demolishing some of my trees. That's o.k. I'll feed them now and whack one of them in the fall.

Walt, signing off from the Frozen North.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

It's 71 F right now in Pittsburgh. tom. :sunburn:

Look out .....the bottom is falling out here in Ohio, 39 deg. now.  dropping like a brick.... 4:30 PM.

Was high 60's an hour ago..  Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2019 at 10:30 PM, janice6 said:

It took some convincing to get her to come back home with me though.  She said the man told her he would make her a star in show business.

You are a lucky man.  Keep her forever...

Dave..

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, janice6 said:

so did:  Rouge River, Detroit, United States, Buffalo River, Buffalo, United States, Schuylkill River, Philadelphia, United States, Cuyahoga River, Cleveland, United States.

Apparently water is flammable in the states governed by the "Cooler" kids.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/is-the-cuyahoga-river-the-only-river-to-ever-catch-on-fire.html

I was working at a power plant (a WWII tugboat (floating) with generators, instead of propellers) in Jamaica.  Way at the far end of the site,  they had a smoking area.  I was pacing around and had wandered to the water's edge,  about 30' away.

One guy trotted immediately at me,  put his hands on my shoulders and spun me around and marched me away....

"Mon!  You can' having cigarettes at the watah!  You blow us all up!"

Stupid me. 

• Haha 1

All the guys in Jamaica broke for lunch.  They all had styrofoam boxes with chicken (jerked?!!).  I asked where the got them and they all just shrugged and pointed (they did that a lot) down the street.

If I had walked out of the front gate,  I would have been forever missing, or dead, in one minute.  I asked if there were any vending machines.  They shrugged and pointed and told me to go see Charlie.  The lunchroom was packed,  because it was a big broom closet.  In the back of the broom closet was a broom closet with Charlie sitting there.  They told him I was hungry.  I told him I'd have to go get my money,  and he said he'd catch me later.

He pulled a wad of grease-paper from a bottom shelf and cut off two massive (like, 1" thick) slabs of cheese (they said it was goat) and sliced two slabs of bread off of a huge loaf.  He gave me a (used) paper cup and filled it up,  from a jug,  that was an extremely thick goat (they said) milk,  and had pulverized peanuts in it,  like a warm smoothie.

The cheese was the best I ever had.  The bread was the best I've ever had.  The thick-warm-milk thing...  well I drank most of it.

We were all leaving at the end of the day and we heard a loud whistle from way off.  It was Charlie.  I had forgot to pay him.  I asked the guy I was with how much I'd owe him.  He shrugged and said, $5  (it was probably really only $1).

All I had was a $20,  so I handed it to Charlie,  and he put it in his pocket and walked away.

• Like 1