I learned something yesterday regarding boots

SC Tiger

I have a pair of Tony Llama cowboy boots that have been in the back of the closet for right around ten years.  Yesterday I get the idea to wear them.  I get them out and try to put them on.

It was at this moment that I learned something interesting about boots.  Did you know that leather boots will shrink if you don't wear them for a while?  Because I didn't. Didn't wear them yesterday but I wound up wearing them last night around the house after fooling around with them a bit.  I would up having to run warm water over them for a bit and put them on with the thinnest socks I could find.  Then left them on for a couple of hours to try to stretch them back into shape.

The funny part is that I stopped wearing them partly because I had to wear really thick socks with them.

I have very few occasions any more to wear cowboy boots but I'm wondering of something like shoe trees would help.

Edited by SC Tiger

54 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Are you sure it's not your feet getting bigger with age?

Could be I suppose.  But I don't know that they would have changed THAT much.  When I quit wearing them I had to wear fairly thick socks with them.

Now I have to wear the thinnest dress socks I have with them.  But they may stretch out some more.  

Apparently, with leather boots this isn't that uncommon.  On cowboy boots or Ariat boots (slip on) it's more noticable because the laces don't take up the slack.

24 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I noticed that problem with winter coats, suits,

pants, shirts

my belts seem to shrink, I think it’s the leather

I have that problem too, but I think it's the moths.  They eat part of the clothes and then sew what's left back together.  Little bastards can sew too.

• Like 4

I have a pair of Tony Llama cowboy boots that have been in the back of the closet for right around ten years.  Yesterday I get the idea to wear them.  I get them out and try to put them on.
It was at this moment that I learned something interesting about boots.  Did you know that leather boots will shrink if you don't wear them for a while?  Because I didn't. Didn't wear them yesterday but I wound up wearing them last night around the house after fooling around with them a bit.  I would up having to run warm water over them for a bit and put them on with the thinnest socks I could find.  Then left them on for a couple of hours to try to stretch them back into shape.
The funny part is that I stopped wearing them partly because I had to wear really thick socks with them.
I have very few occasions any more to wear cowboy boots but I'm wondering of something like shoe trees would help.

I’m told that our feet sprawl more as we age and the arched sag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

yes , you need to oil em , and where 2 pairs of socks for about  week .  i got some expensive rattlesnake skin boots from the 80ties , back wheen it was cool lol.  i had 3 new oles put on i wore everywhere . i still got em , unfortuntely i cant wear now because of gout damage on big toes from years ago .  

I'm actually considering selling them.  Looking at Ebay, I might could get a decent price for them.  I've seen several pairs listed for around $50.  I think these were $200 new.  Not great but I've had them for probably 15 years.

I did see where you can put a bag of water in the boots and then put them in the freezer.  The water freezes and the boots expand.

If they are going to give me this much of a fit when not worn for a while I may just sell them.  I tried them last night and I still couldn't put them on without a LOT of work - so I didn't.  I just don't have much occasion to wear cowboy boots.  I'm on my feet too much at work.  If I need to wear boots I'll just get a pair of lace-up ones.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 1:36 PM, janice6 said:

I don't know about your situation, but I noticed that in my old age my feet are losing their arch and the result for me is a spreading of the width of my feet.

Damn things feel like I'm walking on crushed gravel without shoes.

^^ Me too. tom. :fred:

On 11/25/2019 at 5:41 PM, Cougar_ml said:

Leather needs to be oiled and worked to remain soft.  

I'd give them a good oiling or three, wear them a few days, and see if they fit properly again.

Every time I buy a new pair of leather boots I spray them fully with Silicon water proofing.  Let them sit for a couple of days so they aren't wet and it makes them soft like a babies butt!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1