This freaking thing.......

51y8pc6wFrL._SX425_.jpg

Is about to taste 1200 grains (240 x 5) of frustration. Not because of any sort of protest, but because it is a piece of crap.

My wife bought me (us) one of these things (A Keurig K145) just over two years ago for Father's day.  It's worked great.  Suddenly it decided that it doesn't want to work right anymore.  Brews partial cups.  Throws the Descale light, even though I descaled it at least three times this weekend.  Wife descaled it before I did.

I've tried the vinegar descale method, the actual Keurig descaling solution, rinse pods, cleaning the needles, and even had it halfway apart Sunday.  I call the customer service line, they walk me though doing everything I had already done, and basically said I was screwed.  I did tell them I would have to "look at other options" as Keurigs have been none too good.  I've been through two.

So now a "senior technical support person" is supposed to call me.  I'm not holding my breath.  I did get told I could get 20% off of a new machine.  Probably directly from Keurig, at which point 20% probably puts the cost just over what I could get one from on Amazon or Walmart at full price.

If we replace the Keurig with another single-cup maker, I think I'm gonna get a Cuisinart.  If for no other reason so I can say:

Meanwhile, the Mr. Coffee we've had since we got married keeps on trucking.  

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

We had the big Keurig model and it quit after a few months. Contacted the company and they sent us a new one. We used it for about a year and our daughter bought us a single cup K 15 classic. It worked for a few months and quit and they sent us a new one. It works well but my  wife decided to use only bottled water as a precaution. YMMV. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 2

I was going to suggest the standard approach to misbehaving machines: threaten them with a large tool.

But, as you have menaced the hunk of stainless steel with a large-caliber revolver, that diagnostic step is covered.

:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Do not get a Hamilton Beach side-by-side (drip and K-cup maker). The Keurig side takes forever to make a cup and tastes awful. The only way to get a strong cup of coffee is to put less than an inch of water in your cup and then pour it into the machine. It doesn't have a regular reservoir like a real Keurig. It's really frustrating. I haven't tried the drip side yet.

Edited by Pima Pants

This will sound weird, but do you have an air compressor?

take the water reservoir off and you will see the plastic tube the water travels through, one is the feed the other the return....80 lbs will do it, do it in the garage as it will shoot all over the place

it will brew full cups afterwords

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tous said:

I was going to suggest the standard approach to misbehaving machines: threaten them with a large tool.

But, as you have menaced the hunk of stainless steel with a large-caliber revolver, that diagnostic step is covered.

:biggrin:

I do love large-caliber revolvers.......

37 minutes ago, Pima Pants said:

Do not get a Hamilton Beach side-by-side (drip and K-cup maker). The Keurig side takes forever to make a cup and tastes awful. The only way to get a strong cup of coffee is to put less than an inch of water in your cup and then pour it into the machine. It doesn't have a regular reservoir like a real Keurig. It's really frustrating. I haven't tried the drip side yet.

I was actually considering that option.  Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

This freaking thing......

I absorb a massive amount of coffee each day, and since I'm fortunate enough to work from home: it's made in my own kitchen.  I've completely given up on the froo froo single-cup, special, etc, etc coffee makers.  Mr. Coffee.  Done.  Invest in a cubic sh__ton of #4 coffee filters and just brew however much you need for a given mug size, if your intent is a single-cup-per.

Easy peazy.

My wife was curious about the Keurig Coffee maker since her daughters all had one.  So I bought her a single cup maker and she decided she liked it enough to get a bigger one.

Now we have an $80 Keurig maker that for the additional $60, only has a bigger water container.  For $60 more, more water!

Then I asked her if she wanted to get rid of our grinder and coffee maker for Coffee Beans.  We buy Indonesian Coffees.

She said she like the Ground Coffee better than the Keurig, so we should keep both.  She uses the Keurig for drinks that aren't coffee!

I was given a Keurig several years ago. It worked fine, but didn't much care for the cups. Once I got the reusable cup, all was good.

Then my daughter got me a french press and the Keurig sat after that. I still have it set up in the kitchen for when someone come over and wants a quick cup.

Now I also have an Aeropress and both the Keurig and the french press sit unused.

Life's to short for marginal coffee.

• Haha 1

UPDATE - Well, I suppose I can't complain too much with Keurig.  The "Senior Customer Support Technician" actually DID call me last night while I was on the treadmill (he was supposed to call AFTER 5, but whatever.......)

Anyway, first he says they can give me 20% off a new one.  "I'll have to think about it.  There are a lot of options out there.  I've had pretty rough luck with Keurigs.  Plus I have a Mr. Coffee that has worked for 13 years."

Okay - next offer 35% - "Well, I still need to think about it.  There's a lot of options out there.  Cuisinart has one,  Hamilton Beach has one.  Or I may go with a different setup."

Tech - "Let me check on something"

*hold music*

"Okay, this one time I can offer you a brand new machine comparable to the one you have.  It's not a commercial model but it is as close as we have to your current model.  Free of charge.  This one time"

Me - "You have my attention." - bear in mind I started this just wanting more help on fixing it and maybe to see if I could send it in for repair.

"What color you want?"

"Black works"

"Okay.  Here's the confirmation number, yadda yadda yadda........"

Score one for the good guys.

In other news - Anyone wanna buy a used Keurig K145?

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 1:49 PM, Dric902 said:

take the water reservoir off and you will see the plastic tube the water travels through, one is the feed the other the return....80 lbs will do it, do it in the garage as it will shoot all over the place

No air compressor, but the coffee maker is only a couple of weeks old. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

On 11/19/2019 at 3:49 PM, Dric902 said:

Sounds like a way to get air bubbles out of the system.  Mine has a method to drain the system into the reservoir, so I think that would get the air out.

More to the point, since it can do full cups without a pod in place, it's almost certainly a pump issue.

We had one just like that at the office.  It dies so I tried to bring it home and fix it and found it is the worst designed pile of **** I have ever seen.  Horrendous.  It got put back together and then disassembled with the 45-70 which did a fine job. 

I was using the single serve machines with the metal filter and happy with it but wife wanted a Keurig so we bought another brand and I got hooked on the San Fransisco Bay pods from Costco.  That machine died and now we have the cheapest Keurig WalMart sells and it has been working fine.