The Click and Smell of a Zippo Lighter.

DrB

10 hours ago, Valmet said:

I haven’t had a cigarette for nearly six years but I dream about it still, following the click and smell of the classic zippo. 

When I smoked a hundred years ago, I used a Zippo exclusively.  I remember my Dad light up his cigs. way back in the sixties with a Zippo.  There was just something about the smell of a Zippo and cig. together.  I don't miss smoking but I do miss that. 

• Like 2

I knew a kid in highschool that had his grandpa's zippo pipe-lighter.

Not the one now,  with the big-hole in the top-part.

It was a regular zippo, with this little tube that came around the top-part,  and when you lit it, and twisted it 90 degrees,  the little tube would shoot a flame out.

I've googled it before.  It doesn't exist.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wrango said:

I remember my Dad light up his cigs. way back in the sixties with a Zippo. 

I'm just back,  thinking now.

Dad never had a zippo.

Exotic French coffee-table gas lighters.

And other Italian lighters.

never mind Dads richness.

Besides the exotic Roman Table Lighters....

wooden matches.

I very much enjoy the smell of a wooden match.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

I didn't know Zippo would overhaul their lighters. I'm gonna have to send a few in.

Every Zippo lighter ever made is guaranteed for life, no matter who owns it. They’ve published articles/ads in the past of people finding, or even digging up really old Zippos and sending them in, where they were refurbed free of charge. I remember reading a story years ago about a lady that sent a 1930s-era (I think) Zippo In to be refurbed. It turned out the lighter was a rare prototype. Zippo offered the woman a large sum of money for it, which she accepted, and they replaced it with a very nice lighter as well. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I knew a kid in highschool that had his grandpa's zippo pipe-lighter.

Not the one now,  with the big-hole in the top-part.

It was a regular zippo, with this little tube that came around the top-part,  and when you lit it, and twisted it 90 degrees,  the little tube would shoot a flame out.

I've googled it before.  It doesn't exist.

looks like this.zippipe.jpg.7d810c4c517e600fa4315a127be0bb74.jpg

and you have a fanny pack for your lighter.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Lifetime guarantee.

Real American company.  That has stuck straight.

Same.company that makes Case pocket knives.

I own about eight Zippos and twenty Case pocket knives. If my pants are on...there's a case in the left pocket and a Benchmade in the right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Dad smoked Borkum Riff.

Which is a memory smell.

and a match.

My Dad's go to was Flying Dutchman.  My Grandfather smoked Velvet in both a pipe and cigarettes, hand rolled of course well, until that damned Laredo cigarette rolling machine came out. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tous said:

We'll get bart of tad to perform the inspection.

He's a medical professional.

:biggrin:

"professional."

degree, license, prescriptive authority. no job yet.

but as long as I don't see starfish, i'll look at a cheek. I don't smoke, and I won't be touching any hairy arses.

there IS something to be stated about the zippo. it's a timeless classic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, janice6 said:

You had to open them  by holding your thumb against the bottom while snapping your index finger down the cap.  When it popped open, then you snapped your fingers against the wheel causing it to light.  Any other way wasn't "cool".

That is my fondest memory along with just flipping the lid spring back and forth. It's a wonder I got through algebra. Oh, wait. I didn't.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wrango said:

My Dad's go to was Flying Dutchman.  My Grandfather smoked Velvet in both a pipe and cigarettes, hand rolled of course well, until that damned Laredo cigarette rolling machine came out. 

When we were kids and visited my Grandmother, we used to fight over who would get to roll her cigarettes' using the cool rolling machine.  She usually had to stop us from making too many at once.

Back when I was smoking I used to wonder just how bad it was to your lungs to inhale the burning Phosphorous of the match. 

Many people I knew would like the match and while it was still flaring, they would light the cigarette while inhaling deeply.  Especially when using a match in windy weather. 

It bothered me so that I would wait the second for the flaring to quit before lighting mine.

Just a thought. 

23 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Back when I was smoking I used to wonder just how bad it was to your lungs to inhale the burning Phosphorous of the match. 

Many people I knew would like the match and while it was still flaring, they would light the cigarette while inhaling deeply.  Especially when using a match in windy weather. 

It bothered me so that I would wait the second for the flaring to quit before lighting mine.

Just a thought. 

I always loved the first inhale from the Zippo lighting...  Sometimes the things so bad for you are the things you remember in your mind.  That being said I gave up smoking after college but whenever i click up the Zippo my mind wanders back to the farm sometimes..  On the Farm today as I walked and lit some things up today it took me back to my days long ago..

John Deere B.,  Model 12A Combine with the wrist buster 2 cylinder engine you had to crank, canvas feed table.  The damn scour clean weed seed separator system with the paddle chain elevator that was forever breaking and plugging the combine up when combining beans.  Pickup truck were used for filling with extended sides to take grain up. Big grain wagons no one here had.  Good memories there.

I could go on and on.... 

Dave

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DrB said:

I always loved the first inhale from the Zippo lighting...  Sometimes the things so bad for you are the things you remember in your mind.  That being said I gave up smoking after college but whenever i click up the Zippo my mind wanders back to the farm sometimes..  On the Farm today as I walked and lit some things up today it took me back to my days long ago..

John Deere B.,  Model 12A Combine with the wrist buster 2 cylinder engine you had to crank, canvas feed table.  The damn scour clean weed seed separator system with the paddle chain elevator that was forever breaking and plugging the combine up when combining beans.  Pickup truck were used for filling with extended sides to take grain up. Big grain wagons no one here had.  Good memories there.

I could go on and on.... 

Dave

I had a business relationship with New Holland and their research and design group, working on instrumenting a new harvester.

I am convinced that the design of a combine/harvester is directly related to that of a helicopter, in that both are abominations of nature, and the result of a flawed mind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1