The Click and Smell of a Zippo Lighter.

DrB

6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

You had to open them  by holding your thumb against the bottom while snapping your index finger down the cap.  When it popped open, then you snapped your fingers against the wheel causing it to light.  Any other way wasn't "cool".

yep  that was the way ,   another way i had habit of doing it is popping it open and whipping it across my pants leg and lighting it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

I haven't carried mine in decades.  While bone dry right now, I still keep them nearby.

IMG_20191109_210004518.thumb.jpg.234b567c6a5d2ff49a9a88361507e543.jpg

I never smoked, but still found occasions where they were handy, not to mention they're just fun to fiddle with. Way better than fidget spinners.

I never noticed the chemical burn problem, but then, I carried mine in my back pocket, so I can't really say if hair is still growing evenly in that area or not!

It would only happen if you overfilled it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bikers don't give the holster a second look.  They all have one.  I guess, some, with 7' leather braids, that whip around in the wind on the highway.

The boilermakers give you a gay look, but let you go because you've got a light.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I repacked mine with more Cotton and made sure to over fill them every time.  Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess".  My family motto!

I actually, recently, pulled the,  what I figured was just fake chinese (made in PA!) cotton out of one, and filled it full of REAL AMERICAN cotton.

It didn't make any difference.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I actually, recently, pulled the,  what I figured was just fake chinese (made in PA!) cotton out of one, and filled it full of REAL AMERICAN cotton.

It didn't make any difference.

I added more to what was in there already.  Difference?  I don't know, but it made me think I did something.

I used to put two flints in my lighters too.  God I hated it when the flint went out and no lighter.

Edited by janice6

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

Now my, olden, drunken blog of handwarmers....

which I should recompile more coherently,

I repacked those puppies all full of chinese stuff, that you can't buy here.

It makes a huge difference.  Way too hot hacks.

California disproves.

NO big deal.  CA disapproves of humans that aren't from Mexico.

5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

God I hated it when the flint went out and no lighter.

I pick up empty bics out of the street,  and take the flints out.

They are 2X thick and longer than the new ones.  So,  I only have ten extra flints in mine.

(One in the "hole".  Which is the "filling hole".  Which you can't "lift this layer" and use the "filling hole" at the same time.  So it is the "flint hole".  The GI's know this.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrB said:

My Mom's old Zippo.  She had in the early 60's.  I sent it back to Zippo a few years ago to have fixed..  No Cost, good company.

I once bought a new one and flicked the lid for the first time,  and it came off and bounced across the floor..

I was cheesed,  so I drugged around everywhere,  and sent back thirty lighters to them.

They fixed them all and sent them back.

(They weld new hinges into the case,  put new insides into them,  and also send the old insides back.)

Told it before....................

I worked at Firestone (70's) in Texas.  The Boss bought a bunch of promotional zippos.  (Ever see a 'case' of zippos?)  He put the display case on the counter.  The first two customers took all of them.  He took all the other cases and hid them in the storeroom.

We found them.

I only have ten left.  All used, except three, maybe.

1970's Bill Blankenship Firestone, Kuykendahl,  Collectible  zippos.