Shepard Smith has stepped down at Fox News

TBO

• Administrators

He didn't actually say that he was stepping down to spend more time with his family. He mentioned it as a corollary benefit. He said that he asked and Fox News let him step down, but there is obviously still a binding non-compete agreement that prevents him from reporting elsewhere. I thought that he at least hinted that  he would be back reporting somewhere when the contract expired. Also, it seems like an abrupt exit. I wonder what is behind this?

• Like 1

He didn't actually say that he was stepping down to spend more time with his family. He mentioned it as a corollary benefit. He said that he asked and Fox News let him step down, but there is obviously still a binding non-compete agreement that prevents him from reporting elsewhere. I thought that he at least hinted that  he would be back reporting somewhere when the contract expired. Also, it seems like an abrupt exit. I wonder what is behind this?
Reading between the lines he's upset at some of the Fox conservative commentators undermining his Trump bashing narratives (Tucker Carlson for one).

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, TBO said:

Reading between the lines he's upset at some of the Fox conservative commentators undermining his Trump bashing narratives (Tucker Carlson for one).

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

In that case, screw him. I never watch any of the news networks, if I can help it. It's not worth its affect on my blood pressure and piece of mind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And there isn't even any news.  The "news" is whatever the last loudmouth said yesterday!  Then all the replies to that "news" becomes tomorrow's "news".

One of them should start wearing a headband and ripping off their shirt,  whenever someone says something too outrageous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Presguy said:

Thank you!

I love keeping up with the news. I can't stand watching *any* of the major networks, because they even the news-focused segments seem, as you say, like the WWF.

And even if you can get past that, you have to listen to half an hour of news to get 10 seconds of objective facts. 

I love news. Real reporting and editing. In fact, I majored in journalism at one of the best colleges of journalism. I hate what has happened to the industry.

They have confused entertainment for news telling.  Long ago the craft of telling a news story ended and every year news readership has been down. Real newspapers are few and far between.

The twenty four news television cycle is killing the industry.  Right there with the internet.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Historian said:

I love news. Real reporting and editing. In fact, I majored in journalism at one of the best colleges of journalism. I hate what has happened to the industry.

They have confused entertainment for news telling.  Long ago the craft of telling a news story ended and every year news readership has been down. Real newspapers are few and far between.

The twenty four news television cycle is killing the industry.  Right there with the internet.

they are all owned by the same Corporations,all saying the same thing and all are surrounded by ever growing numbers of instant experts on the subject,no matter what the subject.Going as a wise man on the other site says 'Full Wobble' on a nightly basis.

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

they are all owned by the same Corporations,all saying the same thing and all are surrounded by ever growing numbers of instant experts on the subject,no matter what the subject.Going as a wise man on the other site says 'Full Wobble' on a nightly basis.

For the most part. There are still a fair number of small local newspapers. The St. Pete Times is still a family owned paper and the largest not part of a corporation such as the NYT.

• Like 3

Get it fast: But get it right!  So said the man on the right. The woman on the left was as tough as nails...in the line of Margaret Thatcher.

You're old if you know who these two are.   But this was back when papers were still...more than fish wrappers.  When an editor could still have a bottle of Scotch in his desk and no one would think twice.  As was once said to me, "Son, quit your bitchie bitchie and get me a Scotchie Scotchie."

image.png.97a4d41c4ed221697e526a89ee9d6fc1.png

Edited by Historian
  • Like 4

Very soon after cable tv started becoming widely available,  Headline News did a great job.  Thirty minute (changing) loops of, ahem, news!

I don't remember any political bias or partisan slants,  just facts.  They left the opinions up to you.  tada!

I think that lasted quite a while before they went full commie,  and now just show weather-disaster and murder shows.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Very soon after cable tv started becoming widely available,  Headline News did a great job.  Thirty minute (changing) loops of, ahem, news!

I don't remember any political bias or partisan slants,  just facts.  They left the opinions up to you.  tada!

I think that lasted quite a while before they went full commie,  and now just show weather-disaster and murder shows.

Ted Turner changed a lot of things. A 24/7 news service was laughed at by a lot of people in the business. But he became on of the most watched cable channels ever.

when he started Headline News with a half hour format, he created the great American habit of “background noise” in a lot of American homes.

the Gulf War was the biggest boom to hit news service. In Korea, the only channel we got was Headline News for months. When we deployed, it was Headline News on AFN continuously

then the competitors noticed, and now we have a dozen 24/7 news channels. That’s when it truly got political in order to fill time and the era of “commentators” began in earnest. 

Now it’s more commentary than news. If you have a side, there is a channel for it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, blueiron said:

Although fiction, this guy was more of a real journalist than most of what you see on CNN, Fox, MSNBC, or the decrepit three:

image.png.a7c6a5d28f29c43dbe8ded66415b8616.png

That...is what a news room looked like. When you could walk pass the press with two fingers in the air and get two off the press with wet ink. Great...Times.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, Eric said:

In that case, screw him. I never watch any of the news networks, if I can help it. It's not worth its affect on my blood pressure and piece of mind.

So true. It's enough to make a sane person want to go all commando on these leftists.