LEO vs knife wielding BG

SC Tiger

This one could use a double-tag but I chose NSFE.  Cop vs knife-wielding suspect.  

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIxMjI3/graphic-why-officers-shoot-until-the-threat-has-stopped?fbclid=IwAR29hJKLKH04rn6iJxVM_DBSsk3rtZ1CvEHDYvqnph2w5tLbDyDuEGF0oIM

From the looks of things, the first cop was focused on de-escalation.  To the point it almost cost him.  He shot the BG, didn't kill him, and probably overestimated how badly he injured him.

Then BG gets up, gets behind first cop, and second cop makes a helluva shot.  Especially considering he had to drop/holster his non-lethal to do it.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand backing up to get the perp away from that area where people were, but once they got down the road and had a suitable backstop, it was time to stop retreating and be more assertive. Good on them for removing the threat from other people, but I have a feeling that this video is gonna wind up in some assertiveness training classes for quite a while. GREAT shooting by the second officer. I'd hate to ever have to shoot over a colleague to hit the BG. Huge set of nuts and skills on that guy.

Not to criticize 
if they had Tazer, why not use that when they first encountered him. Before walking back and shooting him eventually?
department policy maybe?

A Taser would put you too close to a lethal threat. While they will advertise "24 ft range", real world is the spread between the probes gives almost no chance of a double probe stick (required to be effective).

Real world range to try and get a good double probe stick is max 15 ft, waaaaaay to close to an aggressor with an edged weapon.

Remember, a Taser isn't a Star Trek Phaser, they often fail to work or he effective, and the majority of models in use don't allow for a quick second shot.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Not to criticize 

if they had Tazer, why not use that when they first encountered him. Before walking back and shooting him eventually?

department policy maybe?

Taser has had quite the history.  First it wasn't trusted.  Then it was overused and abused.  Now it's back to not being used and the actual sidearm has replaced it. 

10 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

"we can help you, put the knife down"

at least a couple times it sounded more like "we can help you put the knife down"

Officer Harrison should have lit him up again when he got back up and ran towards him, rather than let him tackle him.  

Way to much effort for the BG, and way too much risk for the cop.

I once read an interview with a convicted killer.  The guy asked the killer who he feared more, a citizen with a gun, or a cop.  This particular guy said a citizen with a gun.  He said he will just shoot you!  The cop will try to help you.

A cop shouldn't be at any more risk that a citizen with a gun.  (my opinion)

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Way to much effort for the BG, and way too much risk for the cop.

I once read an interview with a convicted killer.  The guy asked the killer who he feared more, a citizen with a gun, or a cop.  This particular guy said a citizen with a gun.  He said he will just shoot you!  The cop will try to help you.

A cop shouldn't be at any more risk that a citizen with a gun.  (my opinion)

They aren't!

Qualified immunity means they have a hell of an advantage over a non cop with a gun. 

Try this as a citizen with a gun and see what the outcome is.

https://reason.com/2019/07/16/court-rules-police-officer-who-shot-10-year-old-is-protected-by-qualified-immunity/

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

They aren't!

Qualified immunity means they have a hell of an advantage over a non cop with a gun. 

https://reason.com/2019/07/16/court-rules-police-officer-who-shot-10-year-old-is-protected-by-qualified-immunity/

Said it before and I'll say it again.  If bad cops were punished the same way as bad civilians, you would see the roster of bad cops shrink pretty quick! 

13 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Not to criticize 

department policy maybe?

Tazers have cause more injuries and deaths of LEOs because they were seen as this ultimate tool to subdue a weapons welding BGs, when in fact it was not as effective as believed.  Too many LEOs showed up on scenes with tazers in hand, only to fatally and belated realize they were relying on the wrong tool.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

What ammo did the cops use? Cause it didn’t seem very effective.

I hope they use this video as a training aid

glad all the good guys are alive

shot placement is more important, and with as stressed out as the cops are in this situation bad shot placement is kind of the norm.  Plus if the perp is on any type of medication, illegal or otherwise, he might not be as badly affected as you would expect.

second cop has his act a little more together and able to make cleaner shots.  Wouldn't surprise me if the first cop missed all but one or two at best.  

I’m not a cop and I couldn’t do what they do

just looking with 2020 hindsight. The backup drifted pretty far from the responding officer as they were backing up (too much I think)

if a Taser was an option then it should have been deployed first and fired sooner than the guns

going “nonlethal” after the first shots have been fired is a mistake. If you’ve already gone to guns, stay with guns.

should the backup have left his vehicle with a patrol rifle rather than handgun?

both those guys need a raise and a week vacation.

43 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I’m not a cop and I couldn’t do what they do

just looking with 2020 hindsight. The backup drifted pretty far from the responding officer as they were backing up (too much I think)

if a Taser was an option then it should have been deployed first and fired sooner than the guns

going “nonlethal” after the first shots have been fired is a mistake. If you’ve already gone to guns, stay with guns.

should the backup have left his vehicle with a patrol rifle rather than handgun?

both those guys need a raise and a week vacation.

I think they were trying to clear the area to prevent a crossfire situation.  And make him choose who to attack so the others can respond.  At least that would be my guess.

Kinda like why a football team spreads their receivers all over the field rather than concentrate in one area.

As to the rifle - who knows that the regulations are nowadays, or what they were told via the 911 call.  

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike said:

They aren't!

In my area cops are punished or fired for speaking ill of the Ghetto thug.

• Like 2

What ammo did the cops use? Cause it didn’t seem very effective.
I hope they use this video as a training aid

glad all the good guys are alive

Overall handguns might kill you, but do a poor job of an instant stop. Long guns are far more effective as they produce much higher amounts of energy and damage.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1