I hate car shopping

SC Tiger

2 hours ago, deputy tom said:

I know someone that drives 112 miles round trip every day for work.

It was 50 miles each way,  but only had three stop signs and two traffic lights and took about 50 minutes.  It was through the hilly country and most of it was on the most underutilized 4-lane highway I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I own an F450, used to commute 50 miles each way to work and back.  The AWD Santa Fe was a little better at 20mpg compared to the Ford's 14.

Second day on the job I bought a used 2010 VW Jetta TDI.  Was averaging 45+mpg, until it got totaled.  Replaced it with a 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI a few days later.  I still have the Sportwagen, even though it only gets 40-42 after the emissions "fix" on it.  still gets 30 mpg with a 5x8 enclosed trailer (with tools and parts a little over 2k lbs), same as before the "fix", but I never go over 55 mph with the trailer. 

My strategy on car buying is simple.  Figure out what it is you want, figure out the price you're willing to pay.  Go to wherever the car is, tell them you'll pay them the amount you decided on for the car, and give them 5 minutes to decide.  If they haven't decided within 5 minutes walk out the door, as they either can't meet it or just want to waste your time.

Took my now ex wife car shopping once.  Had a $10k budget, a couple options on the lot for her to choose from.  She spent about 3 hours to decide between 2 cars, one was marked a higher price than the other, but still within haggle range on them.  So of course she makes it very loudly and abundantly clear to everyone within earshot that she'll take the cheaper of the cars at the top of our budget range, instead of getting the nicer one.  Absolutely no concept of how to negotiate, when she comes from a country where pretty much everything is price negotiable (philippines)  

• Sad 1

On 9/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, Huaco Kid said:

I once got back from work,  at 2am,  in zero degrees,  where my car was parked at the rental-car place. 

It had been a long week.  at 2am.  at zero degrees.

Some guy in a junky car parked behind me,  where I couldn't back out.

I could call Enterprise.  at 2am.  or a tow truck.  at 2am.  But, jeez.

I put it in reverse and pushed him sideways. Out of the way.

And went home.

Never looked back.

There's a scratchy on my back bumper.

It'll buff right out.

Similar thing happened to me. Just a bit later and milder. At the time my key chain had keys for three(3) or four(4) cars. So I tested to see which one would open the blocking car. First one out of the bat worked. Opened it, got in, put it in neutral and pushed it while seated with my left leg. Left it there and drove off. I don't remember if I locked it back. I probably didn't. I also don't remember if I put it back in Park. I probably did (strong personal code :) ).

Things is, at the time (1970s) car locks only had five(5) combinations. So chances were that one would work.

Fun times. I figured that I would spend less time explaining my action to the authorities than waiting for the owner to show up. When you gotta go, you gotta go. Better than the alternative. 

Another time involved moving a police cruiser inside the police HQ complex.  Got in, turned ignition on and backed it off.  Youth is bold. ?

PS: On my behalf, I was wearing a suit. Complete with tie. ?

Edited by Ricordo
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

I own an F450, used to commute 50 miles each way to work and back.  The AWD Santa Fe was a little better at 20mpg compared to the Ford's 14.

Second day on the job I bought a used 2010 VW Jetta TDI.  Was averaging 45+mpg, until it got totaled.  Replaced it with a 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI a few days later.  I still have the Sportwagen, even though it only gets 40-42 after the emissions "fix" on it.  still gets 30 mpg with a 5x8 enclosed trailer (with tools and parts a little over 2k lbs), same as before the "fix", but I never go over 55 mph with the trailer. 

My strategy on car buying is simple.  Figure out what it is you want, figure out the price you're willing to pay.  Go to wherever the car is, tell them you'll pay them the amount you decided on for the car, and give them 5 minutes to decide.  If they haven't decided within 5 minutes walk out the door, as they either can't meet it or just want to waste your time.

Took my now ex wife car shopping once.  Had a $10k budget, a couple options on the lot for her to choose from.  She spent about 3 hours to decide between 2 cars, one was marked a higher price than the other, but still within haggle range on them.  So of course she makes it very loudly and abundantly clear to everyone within earshot that she'll take the cheaper of the cars at the top of our budget range, instead of getting the nicer one.  Absolutely no concept of how to negotiate, when she comes from a country where pretty much everything is price negotiable (philippines)  

My wife did that to me once too.

We walked into the dealers showroom and she ran over to a car and yelled at me, "I want this pretty Blue one!".

That's how she got her Subaru Brat!

(20,000 miles later it spun a bearing.  Out of warranty and out of my pocket)

Edited by janice6

On 9/19/2019 at 1:30 PM, deputy tom said:

I'm afraid I'm going to be in the same situation very shortly. I'm not looking forward to it. Good luck, OP.  tom. :cowboy2:

Eleven days later there we were, sitting at the desk for three and a half hours waiting to get the transaction completed.  New to me Jeep. I only pray to have  it paid off before I croak. tom.  :fred:

Well, Little Sorrow is back home.  Wasn't cheap, but the AC works well.

Honestly - griping about no AC in a car is DEFINITELY a first-world problem.  But with the compressor clutch melted, I was concerned it would throw the accessory belt eventually.  Which I assume runs the water pump on this thing.

I'm gonna keep it for a while longer.  Still seems to have a good bit of life left.  Then I'll probably sell it to one of the international college students around here.

• Like 3