I hate car shopping

SC Tiger

53 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Come on now.  I use brand name coolants recommended by the automobile manufacturer for his vehicle.  I put 200000 miles on all my vehicles before I replaced them with new. 

I commuted many miles, and through two metropolitan cities between work and home.  I went through full sized 4 X 4's regularly.  I never missed work for weather reasons.

I am very meticulous about vehicle maintenance and don't skip or compromise on anything.  Now that I'm retired I quit all that.

You say you are a few years ahead of me, does that mean your in your 90's.  Yes physical labor is difficult as you age. 

You also change your priorities and I spend more time enjoying the simple things and my dog, than I used to.

Not sure why you are getting sediment then.  I had one engine that was full of sediment/sludge but no one had change the coolant before me.  Don't use that GM Dexcool garbage, it sludges on its own.  I used Chevron Delo lifetime coolant and distilled water, no issues yet.

I meant I am behind you - younger - on the road to having people do it for me.  I still enjoy working on some of it but the getting underneath is a real pain.  I have a lift but you still have to get under to position the arms.

• Like 1

Just now, RenoF250 said:

Not sure why you are getting sediment then.  I had one engine that was full of sediment/sludge but no one had change the coolant before me.  Don't use that GM Dexcool garbage, it sludges on its own.  I used Chevron Delo lifetime coolant and distilled water, no issues yet.

I meant I am behind you - younger - on the road to having people do it for me.  I still enjoy working on some of it but the getting underneath is a real pain.  I have a lift but you still have to get under to position the arms.

https://itstillruns.com/causes-sludge-radiators-7596632.html

On 9/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, Zonny said:

Twice, I’ve gone to the dealership for an oil change/ service and bought a new car instead. 

You think you hate shopping?  

Your mistake was going to the dealer for an oil change.

I change my own oil until the price of the oil exceeds the blue book value of the vehicle.

Actually, I have my wife take hers to the dealer. I fully expect her to come home with a new car one day soon and thats fine because I really would rather she have a car with a warranty and good dealer to take care of it when I am on the road.

• Thanks 2

Shopping for a new car is about as pleasant as getting a colonoscopy, but without the sedative. A co-worker did it all by internet maybe 10 years ago. Specified make, model, options, yadi yadi. Got a good offer from a dealer, then a phone call from a salesman. Both cars met his wants/needs. He gave the salesman a chance to meet or beat the dealers offer, but no go. Long story short, the dealer and one of his salesman were trying to sell my friend the same car! He and I kicked it around every way we could and decided the price difference was the salesman's commission.

Seems unethical for the dealer to undercut it's own salesmen.

Well, Little Sorrow is getting fixed.  Gonna be about a week because the shop is backed up.  Part of me hated to put that kind of money into that car but I had a few thoughts:

1)  The car is only 9 years old.  

2)  The way I figger' it, if I can get another year it will be around $100 a month.  That's a lot lower than any car payment.  If I decide to sell it, it will be easier to resell.

Truck is simple - water pump is only $130 and I have it.  Just have to find time to put it in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jmohme said:

Your mistake was going to the dealer for an oil change.

I change my own oil until the price of the oil exceeds the blue book value of the vehicle.

Actually, I have my wife take hers to the dealer. I fully expect her to come home with a new car one day soon and thats fine because I really would rather she have a car with a warranty and good dealer to take care of it when I am on the road.

Excellent.  I did the same thing when I was working.  The wife shouldn't have to worry about being stranded.

18 hours ago, Paul53 said:

Shopping for a new car is about as pleasant as getting a colonoscopy, but without the sedative. A co-worker did it all by internet maybe 10 years ago. Specified make, model, options, yadi yadi. Got a good offer from a dealer, then a phone call from a salesman. Both cars met his wants/needs. He gave the salesman a chance to meet or beat the dealers offer, but no go. Long story short, the dealer and one of his salesman were trying to sell my friend the same car! He and I kicked it around every way we could and decided the price difference was the salesman's commission.

Seems unethical for the dealer to undercut it's own salesmen.

There are little ethics in car sales.  A family member, manager of new car sales, sold me a few new cars.  It was astounding the deals he could give me.

On 9/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, jmohme said:

I'm driving a 2006 Aveo.

(story - I was driving the chevy van (at 12mpg) and commuting 100 miles per day,  when the gas prices exploded.  I wanted the cheapest car that money could buy.  Aveo.  I emailed all the dealers for a price.  One of the replies was from my brother-in-laws best highschool football friend, ever.  I went in.  He told the salesguy that I was getting his discount,  as well as the salesguy's discount. 

I confused the salesguy by not even wanting to test drive it. 

"You don't want a test drive?!?" 

"Are there any cheaper cars?"

"No."

"We're good."

I got it for $7K, out the door.  The prices doubled the next model-year,  because of gas prices.  I went from 12mpg, to 40mpg.  It was like getting a free car and still putting money in my pocket.)

So....  It's been an absolute tank.  It's name is "Silver".  It's an unbelievable snow-eating machine ("What's the worst that could happen?"  "We could tip over."  Vroom... right through it).  I've only put brakes, batteries, tires, one exhaust, some struts...  that's it.  I have never changed the spark plugs (they probably wouldn't even come out by now).  I used to religiously change the oil,  but haven't done it for several years,  since I got sick.

I'm now taking it as a personal challenge.  I'm going to drive it until it decays into a metal shell.  The rusty winters here are going to do it.  The motor will drop out on the highway, probably.  And the car will bump over it,  and I'll pull over,  and the motor will still be running when the tow truck shows up.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 3

Manual transmission.  No AC.

My daughter once borrowed it and stuffed waay too many kids in it to drive to the hottest concert of the year.  When they got 1/2 hour away,  they realized that they had forgotten the newest CD, of the hottest band.  They instantly decided that they had to turn around and get it.  Now they're going to be late.  But it'll be worth it, because ...Party!.

She ran into the house,  grabbed it,  and they took off!

Then they realized that the car didn't even have a CD player.  She was pissed at me for being such a cheap bastage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The driveway's, like, forty yards long.  It snowed 2' overnight.

I started shoveling, and got about 5' into it when I decided to just blast the car into it,  and as far as it got,  that's less I have to shovel

I honked it like a banshee.

And the car blasted through the whole thing,  and I skidded sideways into the street.  And drove to work

• Like 2

When I got home,  I took the top driveway.

I looked at the snowy driveway.  (sometimes,  the wind decides which driveway is going to get it)

I could tell by the tire-tracks, that it had slid on top of the snow for twenty yards.  The wheels weren't even touching the ground.

• Like 1

I once got back from work,  at 2am,  in zero degrees,  where my car was parked at the rental-car place. 

It had been a long week.  at 2am.  at zero degrees.

Some guy in a junky car parked behind me,  where I couldn't back out.

I could call Enterprise.  at 2am.  or a tow truck.  at 2am.  But, jeez.

I put it in reverse and pushed him sideways. Out of the way.

And went home.

Never looked back.

There's a scratchy on my back bumper.

It'll buff right out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was once working with my friend,  and went out to get some tools,  or ladders, or something.

The snow was 3' deep, and some stupid kids were way down in the deep, unplowed parking lot, where they had been, obviously, overnight.

They yelled that they needed a jump.

I drove through too much 3' snow, and, of course, they didn't have jumper-cables.  I did.

I jumped them and they drove to the plowed spot.  I was stuck in the deep snow.

They laughed at me and drove away.

• Sad 2

We went to the greatest Halloween camping-festival every year!

They had a "guess the pumpkin's weight" and win the pumpkin!

We all guessed!

My daughter won.! 300+ pounds.

So... we didn't pay any attention to it until a forklift with a pumpkin came to our campsite the next morning.

The Aveo back seats fold up,  like a baby truck.

It took five people to squeeze it in through the hatchback.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Looks like Huaco's been in the sauce again.........

Anyway - truck is back running.  Finished it last night.  Just running straght water in the cooling system for now until I'm reasonably sure there are no major leaks. or other issues.  

"Again"?

Don't you mean "still"?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I once got back from work,  at 2am,  in zero degrees,  where my car was parked at the rental-car place. 

It had been a long week.  at 2am.  at zero degrees.

Some guy in a junky car parked behind me,  where I couldn't back out.

I could call Enterprise.  at 2am.  or a tow truck.  at 2am.  But, jeez.

I put it in reverse and pushed him sideways. Out of the way.

And went home.

Never looked back.

There's a scratchy on my back bumper.

It'll buff right out.

Long ago I drove a Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 w/V8.

I parked at a store where the parking lot was concrete all  the way to the curb of a through street in town.

I parked all alone and front end to the curb.  I also had trailer hitches on both the front and back.

When I came out of the store, someone had parked so the car was resting against my rear trailer hitch.  I started to move and the car moved with me.

Apparently, the idiot didn't have the parking brake set or the transmission in park so he was using me to stop his car from rolling away.

I was pretty pissed, so I drove quickly off the curb and turned down the street.  I watched in the side mirrors as his car rolled out crossways and blocked the street.

I was pleased!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know someone that drives 112 miles round trip every day for work. His F-150 with V8 was killing him on gas and the miles racked up quickly. He bought a 5 year old used Ford Focus and the car payments, gas and insurance costs less than just the gas costs in the truck. I think he made a good choice. tom.:cheers:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Looks like Huaco's been in the sauce again.........

Jes keepin' it reals!

Work has been so insane for so long now (Trump!),  that you have to decompress when you can.  I just have to laugh at everything and not give a flip for a while,  or I'll go crazy(ier).

The big pumpkin seeded itself and now we have pumpkins back there every year!

• Like 2