SHort range hitman projectile

geeorge

1 minute ago, geeorge said:

Found the shortrange hit man projectile  that will mess up the ballistics experts  

Thank heavens.  I didn't know what to do when I wanted to write a letter after shooting the pen out of my rifle.

Now I have to find a watch that I can wear underwater. Or one that takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, tous said:

"Let's get Mickey!"

"He hates everything!"

They used to shoot Master padlocks with a rifle often back then.

Yes, it's funny, 'cause in todays movies, a shot to the padlock causes it to fall on the ground, open!

In "our day" it still remained LOCKED!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Pikers. Real pros use crossbow bolts out of ice.

Remember the old perfect murder stories where the bullet that killed the victim was made of Ice.  After the person died the bullet melted and there was no evidence left.

I wondered if those authors every looked at the brittleness and tensile strength of Ice.  Or if  they just didn't give a damn about the absurdity of it all.

• Like 2

When I had Quarter Deck watch on the ship I would take a half dozen sharpened pencils and put the eraser in the barrel of my .45.  When a shipmate came aboard I would lead him a little and I was able to score some hits on them with the sharp pencil lead.

Four hours in one spot tends to make you Inventive.  When I ran out of pencils, I would stare at the clock (for registering persons and "things" coming aboard and leaving) and watch the hour hand move.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Remember the old perfect murder stories where the bullet that killed the victim was made of Ice.  After the person died the bullet melted and there was no evidence left.

I wondered if those authors every looked at the brittleness and tensile strength of Ice.  Or if  they just didn't give a damn about the absurdity of it all.

Mythbusters busted it, IIRC. I remember one comic, maybe a Weird Stories or something. It was about the charmed life of a paintbrush. A crooked painter used it to shoot a guy using an ice arrowhead, but the brush hit an inkwell and splashed a drop by the killer's name on an open phonebook page, then later the killer's accomplice made a fake mustache from the brush but it made him look like Hitler and he turned himself in because people were staring at him. But I can't recall what I had for breakfast.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, blueiron said:

When I was a child, I used to shoot Ohio Blue Tip matches out of my Daisy air rifle. They didn't always light and were pretty inaccurate, but at short range, they were a cheap "tracer" round for a kid. 

Yeah, we used to use them as darts and throw 'em at each other. Delinquents.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, janice6 said:

When I had Quarter Deck watch on the ship I would take a half dozen sharpened pencils and put the eraser in the barrel of my .45.  When a shipmate came aboard I would lead him a little and I was able to score some hits on them with the sharp pencil lead.Four hours in one spot tends to make you Inventive.  When I ran out of pencils, I would stare at the clock (for registering persons and "things" coming aboard and leaving) and watch the hour hand move.

They took our M1911A1s and safety wired the slides shut. One too many Lance Criminals got to fooling around with the sidearms and had NDs or in some cases intentional discharges. When someone humped over to the Air Wing shop and appropriated some safety wire pliers and extra wire, the fun began again until someone started replacing the WCC headstamped issued ammo with commercial ammo. 

The MGySgt was not amused. The officers were apoplectic.   

Edited by blueiron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, blueiron said:

They took our M1911A1s and safety wired the slides shut. One too many Lance Criminals got to fooling around with the sidearms and had NDs or in some cases intentional discharges. When someone humped over to the Air Wing shop and appropriated some safety wire pliers and extra wire, the fun began again until someone started replacing the WCC headstamped issued ammo with commercial ammo. 

The MGySgt was not amused. The officers were apoplectic.   

I have no idea the magnitude of the threat to the Earth that would be required for us to be issued ammunition during standard watch assignments. 

We went to Beirut with the 6th Fleet, anchored in the harbor during the revolution in 1960, and they still didn't give us ammunition for weather deck watch issued arms.

The really funny time was that they said our little Minesweeper personnel were causing too much trouble partying in town during the revolution, so we got castigated by the Admiral of the 6th fleet, and they sent us to Italy so we would behave.

I was in one bar one night, and the next night it was blown completely out of the ground.  Just a hole left.  But, we could still pull liberty!  I asked a Beirut policeman what kind of pistol he had. since he didn't speak English, and I didn't speak his language, I motion to him about his pistol.

I got scared when he smiled and took it out and tried to hand it to me.  All in all it was an interesting time learning about Arab culture.  I found out that if they had no foreigners to kill, they killed each other.  We did have a good time there.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 1981, we were training the FilMars down in Luzon. Some terrorists with the New People's Army chucked a couple of hand grenades into an Easter celebration and shredded about 20 people and injured well over an hundred. Ferdinand Marcos went hardcore hunting the bastards that did it. Since we were actively training the FilMars, we got issued ammo.  

The PI has had problems for decades between the Marxists, the Muslims, and the Catholic majority.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

They needed to mix in sawdust to the water before freezing, the british used to test the material back in WWII called it plycrete

• Thanks 1

Just now, geeorge said:

They needed to mix in sawdust to the water before freezing, the british used to test the material back in WWII called it plycrete

IIRC, Someone, maybe the British, was experimenting with that stuff to make large aircraft carriers.  Obviously, it didn't go.

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

IIRC, Someone, maybe the British, was experimenting with that stuff to make large aircraft carriers.  Obviously, it didn't go.

The problem was how to keep it frozen, a bullet wouldn't need to be frozen that long

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geeorge said:

The problem was how to keep it frozen, a bullet wouldn't need to be frozen that long

Yes, they had some grandiose plans for refrigeration.  I thought I read about the idea in Popular Mechanics a damn long time ago.

A big marvel in the USA  was that the concrete Liberty ships worked.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, janice6 said:

Yes, it's funny, 'cause in todays movies, a shot to the padlock causes it to fall on the ground, open!

In "our day" it still remained LOCKED!

It did it on "Sons of Guns" too.  Apparently the ability to shoot out a padlock without hitting anything behind it is a valid test of a marksman's rifle for the police in Louisiana. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, blueiron said:

When I was a child, I used to shoot Ohio Blue Tip matches out of my Daisy air rifle. They didn't always light and were pretty inaccurate, but at short range, they were a cheap "tracer" round for a kid. 

I SO have to try that now. :anim_lol:

On 9/8/2019 at 8:28 PM, gwalchmai said:

Mythbusters busted it, IIRC. I remember one comic, maybe a Weird Stories or something. It was about the charmed life of a paintbrush. A crooked painter used it to shoot a guy using an ice arrowhead, but the brush hit an inkwell and splashed a drop by the killer's name on an open phonebook page, then later the killer's accomplice made a fake mustache from the brush but it made him look like Hitler and he turned himself in because people were staring at him. But I can't recall what I had for breakfast.

What kind of crack-pipe fever dream was THAT?

On 9/8/2019 at 11:56 PM, janice6 said:

Like many things - war makes desperate, otherwise dumb-sounding ideas attractive.  But then what happens is that the war ends before the dumb sounding ideas can be either proven dumb or proven to work.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, geeorge said:

But there is a pretty big heat source right behind it.  

Best bet might would be a sabot round - would help shield the bullet from heat from the propellant and the barrel friction (if made of the right material).  Even at that, the odds of that working are very low.  But then the better solution might be to use a previously fired bullet from another rifle (say someone you wanted to frame) in the sabot.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2

Ok you young pups, let a fart that's not yet old tell you how to do it, inna you kitchen.  

Take an unloaded shotgun shell, and fill with water.  Freeze.   Make an ice slug, not an ice bullet.  

Apply the cut off H&R single boomer, you've been hiding since the clinton days.  

Its about volumeteric efficiency that you can't get with boolits.  See I do know a big woird.  

Clemenza would be proud.  Now sumbody buy me a canoli.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Huaco Kid, is that you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1